Dashcam Recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dashcam Recommendations
Yeah it stays on, thinking about it there probably is a setting to turn it off lol.

The mounting wasn't great tbf, when it was behind the mirror it caught most of the mirror base which is obviously pointless, but was also too close the mirror and was tapping it over bumps, not enough movement in it to get closer to the windscreen either...very annoying lol. So now its mounted further over but about half the screen is visible...and the mount being above the mirror catches my attention constantly, I don't know how people can keep a cluttered windscreen! lol

Also not got a huge amount on the card, it's full after 2 days lol. Well, 29GB so still just over 1GB of useable space. Probably about 5 or 6 hours worth so I have no idea how your card holds months unless its like 1500GB lol.
Thanks given by:
For anyone interested I've pulled some stills from it, photobucket is slightly better than youtube for squashing stuff lol.

Dull day, ~100mph combined and plate still easily readable -

[Image: Dashcamstill_zps67e87b28.png]

Dark, no street lights, dipped beam....can you even tell that's a rabbit? lol

[Image: dashcamstilldark1_zps81d30e0c.png]

Unlit dual carriage, both doing around 60 - no chance of reading plate

[Image: dashcamstilldark4_zps6fa26426.png]

Starred lights and again no chance of reading plate (also got a bulb out...it seems 75% of cars do when I watch it back!)

[Image: dashcamstilldark2_zps47098806.png]

Finally a clear one...as long as I crash stationary in a well lit area it'll be useful. Tongue

[Image: dashcamstilldark3_zpsc862d6e7.png]
Thanks given by:
what quality was that being filmed at? happy with the results..? suppose it dont look too bad for the price i still cant decide on one!
Thanks given by:
Why were you going ~100mph on a bend, on a single carriageway?!
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 09:17 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Why were you going ~100mph on a bend, on a single carriageway?!

....er combined....

That means 50+50 or 60+40 etc ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2014, 08:54 PM)eskimogod Wrote: what quality was that being filmed at? happy with the results..? suppose it dont look too bad for the price i still cant decide on one!

Day shots 720p, night shots 1080p...not actually sure if the resolution changes though, looks the same either way!

Can't complain for the price, better than I expected tbh! Don't think I'll be keeping it in though, just don't like anything non standard being visible in the cabin. I reckon they'll become standard in cars around 2017 so I'll just wait for that to happen lol. lol

(01-11-2014, 09:17 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Why were you going ~100mph on a bend, on a single carriageway?!

Combined ~100mph, so both doing 50ish...
Thanks given by:
I didn't see combined, haha!
Thanks given by:
ive just brought a mobius to play with and hopefully do a pretty much invisible install.. it will be in a phase one so got a load of space to hide it in unused ir central locking bit.. may run it a bit first so i don't chuck 50+ quid down the drain lol
Thanks given by:
Caught this clip on mine Monday morning, female in a mk4 golf pulling out nice & slow.. It's a fast main road which you need to get up to speed quickly.. She prevented that!

http://youtu.be/QTrSSKMizI4
Thanks given by:
Couple more..

Rainx working like Magic! I love this stuff.

http://youtu.be/qaSDcb56ing

And a good example of how the G1W copes with changes to light..

http://youtu.be/qmpYo0cEyZA
Thanks given by:
I've taken mine out now lol, was doing my head in, windscreen nice and clear again now. lol

Wish I had it in yesterday though, could've caught possibly the poshest road rage ever...

At 70mph dual carriageway I was in the slow lane with a car approaching a tiny slip road end in front at speed, genuinely didn't think he'd stop so made evasive action with indication to squeeze between 2 cars in the fast lane, there was room, but I'd misjudged the following cars speed and he did have to brake. I knew it was my fault, put my hand up as an apology but probably couldn't see through the tinted rear. I then pulled back in asap to let him pass. This clearly wasn't taken well though, he accelerated pulled across me, sat in the middle of the road and brake checked me (all this achieved was me getting closer to his bumper tbf lol, I know my EBA works well if necessary). Then threw a half smoked cigar at me which bounced across the windscreen...yes a cigar, posh road rage haha. lol

I did follow him after that, but couldn't keep up unfortunately, it seems an SLK has a little more poke than my diesel... Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Bumping this up as i want to buy a dash cam now. Tom, how are you getting on with yours? And does anyone else have any good recommendations?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
G1W ftw. Cheap but great footage!
Thanks given by:
View the Techmoan channel on YouTube I personally think his reviews are the dogs danglies! I'm gona be getting something from the VicoVation range (very in depth reviews on Techmoan) torn between the Marcus 4 (1 Cam X-HD) and the Marcus 5 (Dual-cam 1080p) cuz the missus is gona start driving this year so wana get the best possible angles and as much evidence as possible should the worst happen.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2015, 09:15 PM)Niall Wrote: Bumping this up as i want to buy a dash cam now. Tom, how are you getting on with yours? And does anyone else have any good recommendations?

Took it out after a week. Cant stand crap on the windscreen. I'll have a dashcam when they come factory fitted lol.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2015, 10:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 09:15 PM)Niall Wrote: Bumping this up as i want to buy a dash cam now. Tom, how are you getting on with yours? And does anyone else have any good recommendations?

Took it out after a week.  Cant stand crap on the windscreen.  I'll have a dashcam when they come factory fitted lol.

Do you wanna flog it? I'm after a couple, one for the rear of mine & one for the mini
Thanks given by:
If mounted on the n/s of the rear view mirror so long as the mirror itself hides the lionshare of its bulk I wouldn't be too fussed, I like to hide wiring anyway no matter what the device I always come up with creative 'discreet' routes my ocd is I hate 'sloppy' wiring, whereas I suppose factory-fit would be more suited to yours Tom
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2015, 10:13 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(12-02-2015, 10:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

Took it out after a week.  Cant stand crap on the windscreen.  I'll have a dashcam when they come factory fitted lol.

Do you wanna flog it? I'm after a couple, one for the rear of mine & one for the mini

Thought about keeping it to use for the snow...but we didn't get any. lol Not sure its worth selling when it was fairly cheap new anyway?
Thanks given by:
Fair enough! Just thought I'd offer Smile
Thanks given by:
Has anyone used an SJ4000 Wifi as a Dashcam?

I know it has the mode, just want to make sure it's possible to leave it charging for a whole drive and it's a viable alternative. Ideally want to get it before Pugfest, although not easy finding one on ebay that doesn't seem fake or from China.
Thanks given by:
Yeah mine is a SJ4000 WIFI and have had it hardwired using a PS4 extension cable and a usb cig socket
Thanks given by:
I'm looking at this one as I've got a £15 voucher for ebay, I think it's genuine but the extra battery might not be.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162046575002
Thanks given by:
Problem with the SJ is the lack of screen for me. With a screen you can see when it's stopped recording or been knocked off centre by a pothole etc.

Mine is absolutely useless now though, only works for 10% of the time! Will probably buy a later 080X for the compact size with screen though. Just no moneys atm with the Fiesta lol.
Thanks given by:
SJ does have a screen Tom, on the back. Plus with the wifi one you can see it on your phone.
Thanks given by:
I'm thinking of the Mobius... Doh I'll just be quiet now. Tongue
Thanks given by:
What should I be paying for a genuine SJ with WiFi? They start around £30 to £60. Thinking of using one as a dash cam and to stick on the back of car when reversing up to the caravan.
Thanks given by:
I've been thinking of a dash cam, but most look f*cking toss when they're mounted.

Surely it's not even legal to have them like this?

[Image: SJ4000-Car-Mount.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-06-2016, 04:16 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: I've been thinking of a dash cam, but most look f*cking toss when they're mounted.

Surely it's not even legal to have them like this?

[Image: SJ4000-Car-Mount.jpg]

I don't see why it'd be illegal? Mine has the cable running from the camera up to the roof lining, and the camera itself is mostly hidden behind my rear view mirror. Wink

EDIT: Also, the one in that pic is on the wonk....couldn't put up with that! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
With the amount of shit people have on their screens these days it amazes me they can see anything...

Dash cam, speed camera thing, sat nav, 1 or 2 phones (all with cables everywhere), crap hanging off the mirror... Not like you'd actually want to see out of the window! Rolleyes

As far as I know it's not even illegal as it's all removable, but I guess if you were in an accident and a lack of view was the cause there would be a legal issue there.

Mine is hardwired into the fusebox, runs up the A pillar and along the roof lining, can't see any wires. But since having a new screen the sucker wont stick to the shaded/hatched area by the mirror so is in the middle top passenger side, really annoys me lol!

Wish the cam was working earlier, almost rear ended a sign written van that cut me up on a roundabout and slammed on when I beeped him... EBA ftw lol. I then followed him to catch more arseholish driving on camera...to find the bloody thing had switched itself off again, urgh. However as I went to the effort of pulling the card and checking footage, here's the reason new cars have to have so much pedestrian impact protection...seriously wtf lol, traffic lights green, bus coming the other way, he doesn't stop or even flinch! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqdv76kCico
Thanks given by:
I've got one like this in my van.
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coop...dst09673i/
but then I am a cheapskate. lol
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welder recommendations bashbarnard 21 3,944 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard