help needed with diesel leak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help needed with diesel leak
Okay so my fuel filter (canister type) has a plastic type tube that comes out just before the bleed screw, it keeps leaking diesel out, only little drops, but when i park up at meets, before i leave theres always a puddle below the car, the bleed screw on the canister is as tight as it will go, why would it be doing this? :/
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure theres a sealing washer around that plug. (Its a drain plug, not a bleed screw.) I'd guess the washer is broken tbh.
Thanks given by:
Any way of sealing it up? Im due to go on a 5 hour drive friday on holiday, need it sortin by then :/
Thanks given by:
Easiest way would be remove the plug (and prepare for the diesel coming out!) then put a new washer on it. Though its possible the housing has cracked, in that case there would be no quick fix unfortunately.
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2014, 01:37 PM)boarderjaymee Wrote: Okay so my fuel filter (canister type) has a plastic type tube that comes out just before the bleed screw, it keeps leaking diesel out, only little drops, but when i park up at meets, before i leave theres always a puddle below the car, the bleed screw on the canister is as tight as it will go, why would it be doing this? :/

Could try a new fuel drain screw part number 191723 £2.47 from Pug & the bleed valve part number 1574J1 £0.79 &see if that makes any difference but failing that it sounds like the cannister body maybe cracked !
Thanks given by:
As above, really common for these to leak as a result of poor fitment, over-tightening or perishing with age.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yes mine was doing this when we first got it, I got some fuel pipe which fits the "stub" snugly and blocked up the open end with a bolt, some clips and hay presto, no fuel leak.

I eventually got a new plastic plug with its washer....but Haynes says it should be replaced every time its removed for water/crap/flushing/priming session!

the o ring tends to develope a "flat" and leaks....tried an o ring from my selection box which seemed to tolerate diesel.....

is it not the taper on the plastic plug that seals inside with the o ring as an extra? I haven't had the unit off as yet for clean and filter change so don't rightly know...
Thanks given by:
Theoretically yes, but it's made of cheap plastic so the seal doesn't last very long, if it ever seals at all, and tends to deform the first time you do it up tight. As you say, recommendation is that it's changed every time it's taken out, but they're fine for multiple uses in my experience, the o-ring seems to be perfectly capable at sealing by itself.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well my friend was scrapping his 306 and asked if I needed anything before it went so I took his fuel filter drain screw, seems to of done the job Smile also got a few other goodies to tidy the old girl up with lol
Thanks given by:
Good stuff, thanks for updating. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
It's always good to see an easy fix
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak? MY95 27 3,988 14-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  Diesel leak Deangatt 11 1,868 07-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Deangatt
  Diesel leak Iceman299 10 1,770 12-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Iceman299