Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak?
As above, never seen it as bad as this before with my car, a new gasket is only 70p from Peugeot, something is actually cheap from them! lol
Cheers

Another photo (much more black crud on this pipe!)

Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 01:53 PM)MY95 Wrote: a new gasket is only 70p from Peugeot, something is actually cheap from them! lol

MOQ of ten though last time I ordered some, so your 70p gasket becomes £7 if your dealer won't split a pack...
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I see, does it look bad enough to worry about?
Thanks given by:
I'd fix it if it were me.

Prepare for bleeding knuckles, pain and lots of swearing
Thanks given by:
Two gaskets and some high end sealant!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Why two of them piggy? and would some sealant really be necessary?
Thanks given by:
Don't think I've ever seen a dry one yet, they all leak there lol.
Thanks given by:
Certainly seen a lot worse. Has your car still got EGR? If so be a good chance to replace the gasket and de-EGR it at the same time
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 04:26 PM)MY95 Wrote: Why two of them piggy? and would some sealant really be necessary?

I found this was only way to make mine stop leaking
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Car still has EGR but has been unplugged for around 5 years now Frost Smile
Its been like this leak wise since I got it 2 years ago with no noticeable bad effects so wiped it clean and going to keep an eye on it!
Thanks given by:
Unplugged isn't blanked
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 03:47 PM)Piggy Wrote: Two gaskets and some high end sealant!

Is there any material to make a gasket out of that would seal better than a proper gasket. Mine is pretty bad now, id say its a good boost leak.

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
can make it out of some rubber, it will become brittle after a while though, multilayer steel would work but you cant get the torque on those little bolts really required to do the work necessary.

if you have a steady hand and a few hours to wait, spread a thin layer of RTV silicon (the black or orange stuff) on it and let it dry somewhat, then use a little more on the other face and then mate the faces solidly.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Just weld it together... No boost leak then! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2016, 03:47 PM)Piggy Wrote: Two gaskets and some high end sealant!

I used 3 and sealant just to be sure! Never leaked again while i owned the car. Even the dealer recommended that i use 2/3 as 1 may not be enough
Thanks given by:
Cereal box. Just cut it out, clean up the faces and slap it in
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
That what you did to Improve the rover head gasket Steve?
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
It's what I did on your hdi tose...it really doesn't work haha!!
Thanks given by:
worked fine, the oil leak I now have noted as an advisory on my MOT certificate, is purely the fact that there is no cam shaft breather hose connected to anything and its keeping the ECU nicely lubricated!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough then, thought it was leaking when I had it. Lol, waterproofing the ECU isn't a bad idea...
Thanks given by:
Rather than make my own thread, as I'm having this exact issue...

Anyone aware of what the actual torque specs for the inlet elbow bolts are? Making my own gasket seems to have made it worse but have a single OEM one at home, we thinking it'll definitely be leaking with just the one in there?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2016, 02:33 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Rather than make my own thread, as I'm having this exact issue...

Anyone aware of what the actual torque specs for the inlet elbow bolts are?

FT lol

(14-03-2016, 02:33 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Making my own gasket seems to have made it worse but have a single OEM one at home, we thinking it'll definitely be leaking with just the one in there?

Soon put your hand over it an feel if there is air leaking there? if not chucking some sort of fluid will show?

IIRC i used used a gasket between both surfaces with hylomar on each, on my inlet elbow. Seems to be holding up after 6k (miles)
Thanks given by:
I snapped one of the EGR bolts using the 'FT' method so an actual torque spec would be nice lol

Did it up 'FT' after making a cardboard gasket but checked with soapy water after and it's still leaking :/ problem being is it failed it's emissions/smoke test and I'm thinking the boost leak is why, will be swapping to the stock map to see if it's any better but not sure if the fueling will be any different than the S2 I'm running at the moment out of gear
Thanks given by:
Aren't the EGR pipe-elbow bolts only M6's from memory? If so, FT is going to undoubtedly break or strip something.

As a general rule, rough/typical torque values for a 8.8 tensile bolt is 7lbft for M6, 17lbft for M8 and 33lbft for M10.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah they aren't very big at all, M6 sounds about right so that does make sense. What are the inlet elbow bolts themselves then M8, M10? They're studs as opposed to bolts though so not sure whether they'd strip the thread off the bolt or the elbow first
Thanks given by:
Those are M8's from memory - typically a 13mm nut for that size.
Thanks given by:
You can feel when something is tight, if it's tight stop turning it lol. But seriously, do it up until it stops turning easily then give it a good tweak, that should be tight enough for anything this side of suspension. And yeah, m8. Yeah m8. m8. Awwww MATE!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sweet, cheers guys. My problem is i probably do it up tight enough, then think just a little more and bang lol

With them being m8 worst case some bolts can be made easily
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo oil leak pug306driver 4 1,397 17-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Recognise source of leak? ssashton 6 1,210 22-09-2020, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  A new random noise?! Injector Leak? td163 3 1,008 17-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Poodle