police

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
police
So when did getting stopped for no seatbelt incur either a £100 fine or attendance to an awareness course??

I got caught out today leaving a fuel station no further than 200 yards up the road I realised I hadn't belted up as I was pulling my seatbelt on Mr kind police officer stepped out from side of the road and pulled me over to hand me a lovely Sunday morning wake up ticket, so be safe stay rich wear a seatbelt
Thanks given by:
Fines gone up recently.

Its simple. Click, clunk!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
So you were driving up the road without your seatbelt on and now your moaning? The law is black and white mate, it doesnt say its alright if only for a few hundred yards (unless your a delivery driver going less than a certain distance). Also If you can't see a uniformed police officer before he sees your not wearing a seat belt then your not paying enough attention to what's going on around you while your driving.

Anyway Its been months if not a year since the ticket prices went up. £30 ones went to £60 (IIRC) £60 ones went to £100 and no insurance went to £300.

It means that now the fine for driving at 80mph on the motorway is more than the fine for walking into a shop and stealing £200 worth of stuff. Ridiculous really.
Thanks given by:
And it saves your life so its worth going to the course Smile

Be happy theres no points with that infringement of the law!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: And it saves your life so its worth going to the course Smile

From what I read 3 points will be on seatbelt, tailgating, inconsiderate driving (pushing Infront, not looking when pulling out of junctions etc) as well as a fine soon.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:35 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 07:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: And it saves your life so its worth going to the course Smile

From what I read 3 points will be on seatbelt, tailgating, inconsiderate driving (pushing Infront, not looking when pulling out of junctions etc) as well as a fine soon.

In that case there'll be very few people left on the roads!! lol

The amount of people that cant wait at giveway lines really does my head in tbh, it's not difficult. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Nah not moaning about being caught that was a fair cop just moaning about the cost, to be fair Mr policeman was the most pleasant friendly officer I've come across in 12 years of motoring, and as for not seeing him he was down an embankment at the side of the road with no hi viz he popped up as I was pulling it on he did explain that he saw me putting it on and even though I was attempting it he had seen me do it so had to do something as for points he said it incurs no penalties just a fine or a course?? Depending on how clean my licence is, which I may add is squeeky clean
Thanks given by:
Ive gone past many a copper without my belt on and most the time they don't even look, ive only ever had one pull on there belt asif to say put it on. So unlucky with your ticket
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:35 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: From what I read 3 points will be on seatbelt, tailgating, inconsiderate driving (pushing Infront, not looking when pulling out of junctions etc) as well as a fine soon.
Yeah I heard it was coming for seat belts.
As for tailgating and inconsiderate driving they'll need to create some new offences before they start giving people fines and points for it lol.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:46 PM)thebluepearl Wrote: Nah not moaning about being caught that was a fair cop just moaning about the cost, to be fair Mr policeman was the most pleasant friendly officer I've come across in 12 years of motoring, and as for not seeing him he was down an embankment at the side of the road with no hi viz he popped up as I was pulling it on he did explain that he saw me putting it on and even though I was attempting it he had seen me do it so had to do something as for points he said it incurs no penalties just a fine or a course?? Depending on how clean my licence is, which I may add is squeeky clean

Pretty sure they can use discretion, especially as it seems you had genuinely forgotten and were putting it on anyway...

But then it is the end of the month, suppose they need to hit the targets. lol
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:47 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: Ive gone past many a copper without my belt on and most the time they don't even look, ive only ever had one pull on there belt asif to say put it on. So unlucky with your ticket

Because you want to test the strength of your face vs steering wheel!!?! Confused
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:59 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 07:47 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: Ive gone past many a copper without my belt on and most the time they don't even look, ive only ever had one pull on there belt asif to say put it on. So unlucky with your ticket

Because you want to test the strength of your face vs steering wheel!!?! Confused

But airbag cuddles are nice and warm.
Thanks given by:
Airbag could cause more serious injury when not wearing a seatbelt than no airbag and no seatbelt.

Just a complete lack of respect for life if you dont wear it, no!? Undecided

(21-09-2014, 07:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But then it is the end of the month, suppose they need to hit the targets. lol

Dont break the law and targets wont be an issue.

Im sure targets for less deaths and injuries on the road would be preferred by any policemanofficer
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I can't see how people can't wear seat belts. As stupid as it sounds, i don't feel right without one. Feel almost naked.
Also, i would not want to be hitting an airbag without a seatbelt on. Thats basically lights out!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
On a good note I did a bit of modifying this weekend just need to resolve my squeaky brakes issue pads and discs look pretty good copper slipped back of front pads today and still the squeak carries on and it's definitely the brakes argggghhh bloody car
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 07:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But then it is the end of the month, suppose they need to hit the targets. lol

But it was a genuine mistake, we're all human, we all make mistakes, I'd think we've all done it, I certainly have when in a rush. It's not like he was actively making a phonecall or something which requires conscious effort.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 08:05 PM)Piggy Wrote:

But it was a genuine mistake, we're all human, we all make mistakes, I'd think we've all done it, I certainly have when in a rush. It's not like he was actively making a phonecall or something which requires conscious effort.

So what you're saying is, if i run over a little girl and kill her because i had a lapse in concentration, completely a genuine mistake, i should be let off free? But if i run her over on purpose, i should be punished?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
No I believe he's implying the officer could have used discretion , as I was noticeably putting my belt on although I SHOULD have done so before I pulled away but that's by the by I've been caught I didn't try to deny it held my hands up admitted it was a mistake on my behalf he could have given a stern ticking off instead of a ticket
Thanks given by:
Yes, obviously. Rolleyes

Seriously though, you can't compare killing someone to briefly forgetting a seatbelt.

(21-09-2014, 08:26 PM)thebluepearl Wrote: No I believe he's implying the officer could have used discretion , as I was noticeably putting my belt on although I SHOULD have done so before I pulled away but that's by the by I've been caught I didn't try to deny it held my hands up admitted it was a mistake on my behalf he could have given a stern ticking off instead of a ticket

Exactly that!

I was watching traffic cops (or similar) the other day, and tbh that program just frustrates me. Slightly speeding/belt off/minor car defect they get fined etc. Yet there were two drunk drivers that crashed and got let off because by the time they had the accurate breath test it'd worn off. One guy who crashed into two other cars, one with a very young baby, and a woman who was not only drunk but on her bloody phone texting and rolled her 206cc on its roof....she cried, and got let off aswell! It's just ridiculous imo, that's much more dangerous than forgetting a belt, doing 33mph or a bulb out...but those things are easier to write fines for.
Thanks given by:
So if I am driving at 100mph on the motorway but when the copper see's me I manage to brake down to 70mph...then they should allow discretion!? Or I finish my phonecall while driving as the copper spots me?....etc.

Lesson here for the OP I rekon is now I bet he will never forget his belt. Best £100 driving lesson he will ever take

10yrs driving. No fines. No points. No cautions. NEVER forgot my seatbelt.
And I am far from perfect
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 07:50 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 07:35 PM)Razorback_Rob Wrote: From what I read 3 points will be on seatbelt, tailgating, inconsiderate driving (pushing Infront, not looking when pulling out of junctions etc) as well as a fine soon.
Yeah I heard it was coming for seat belts.
As for tailgating and inconsiderate driving they'll need to create some new offences before they start giving people fines and points for it lol.

Yeah I can't imagine they could just leave it under the umbrella of "inconsiderate driving" I'll try find the article I read this morning on facebook.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I think the point has been missed here. Yes you put your seat belt on but the point is, you still committed a crime by driving off without it on. Yes he could of used discretion but for all he knows, you saw him and then put it on and if you had of carried on driving if he hadn't of been there, you would of continued on without it.

Also Tom, you can compare killing to not wearing a seatbelt because if he had of hit something at 40 without his belt on, he would of been dead. Ok so you could argue that thats his fault so tough shit but you have to think about the financial impact on the state for dealing with the death and most importantly, the impact it would have on his family.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: So if I am driving at 100mph on the motorway but when the copper see's me I manage to brake down to 70mph...then they should allow discretion!? Or I finish my phonecall while driving as the copper spots me?....etc.

Lesson here for the OP I rekon is now I bet he will never forget his belt. Best £100 driving lesson he will ever take

10yrs driving. No fines. No points. No cautions. NEVER forgot my seatbelt.

Driving at 100mph or making a phonecall are NOT accidental mistakes though - you'd be making a conscious decision to do that. If you get stopped doing that, fair game.

As you say, you're far from perfect...so have probably committed offences yourself in those 10 years, but been lucky enough not to get caught so far. Infact, didn't you get a telling off for leaving some bombs in your car one night? Itwasntme I've still got a clean licence after 5 years, but that doesn't mean I'm in any way a good driver. lol
Thanks given by:
you fitted the pressed number plates yet?
Thanks given by:
I dont see how forgetting your seatbelt is an accident either!?

Its not like you dont wear one before you learn to drive!!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yet there were two drunk drivers that crashed and got let off because by the time they had the accurate breath test it'd worn off..

That's why it's a lot more likely someone will get an on the spot fine, proving drink driving or serious speeding with court cases etc is so much harder/more effort than just pulling you over and giving you a ticket.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: 10yrs driving. No fines. No points. No cautions. NEVER forgot my seatbelt.

Ill take all my point over the years (9 in total, never in any 3 year period) over a bomb squad smashing my windows in any day lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
my dad got stopped once in my 1st car with no belt on, he got a warning thru the post that was it, no fine or anything, sadly my car ended up with a marker on it! Cheers dad! ( the car was insured for us all at the time)
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 10:03 PM)Connor Wrote:
(21-09-2014, 08:33 PM)Piggy Wrote: 10yrs driving. No fines. No points. No cautions. NEVER forgot my seatbelt.

Ill take all my point over the years (9 in total, never in any 3 year period) over a bomb squad smashing my windows in any day lol

QFT!!!!!

Anyway cut the guy some slack. He knows he did it and what one of you would of fined a man driving out a petrol station and putting it on seconds after?

I suppose it highlights the issue with officer discretion as you have 130000 officers in the UK all with different opinions.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2014, 08:12 PM)Niall Wrote: I can't see how people can't wear seat belts. As stupid as it sounds, i don't feel right without one. Feel almost naked.
Also, i would not want to be hitting an airbag without a seatbelt on. Thats basically lights out!

i know exactly how you feel, i moved my mates landrover the other day about 200 yards on his farm, it felt strange not putting the belt on whilst in a moving car.

anyway, whats' wrong with being hit in the face with something travelling at 500mph.. lol

i got 3 points for "mobile device whilst driving" bang to rights, my fault, broke a law that had been in for 11 years at that point, no arguement.. and the guy that pulled me over was the guy from traffic cops... result lol

I was always of the understanding that points were allocated to an offence if and when that offence had hte potential to cause harm to another, which is why motorbike riders not wearing a helmet is not endorsable, however pillion without a lid is (can cause harm to him, legally responsible etc).

would be a pretty steep change in the law if seatbelts commanded 3 points as well, as the only person you are putting in danger (as the driver only) is yourself, when passangers start however, being in charge of that vehicle, it is your responsibility
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorway police... rtha6551 52 14,055 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Matt
Thumbs Up PROOF THE POLICE ONLY USE THE BEST CARS joelww 16 4,447 26-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Pompey306mark
  Police interceptors.. Pete 31 12,912 29-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Last Post: welshpete