Dum-Dum's Black Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's Black Rallye
Precisely, no point arsing around for that kinda money!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 11:48 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Its doesnt compute in my head as to why you have spent good money and done a proper job elsewhere but your skimping and bodging old & new bits of exhaust together?
I don't have the £350 for a mongoose or similar, thats the issue.

(27-10-2014, 12:29 PM)RetroPug Wrote: You can get decent 2nd hand whole cat back exhausts for 100-120.
You cant, they are all magnex or abused.
Thanks given by:
Theres bargains to be had...just no one selling I guess.

Ive got a powerflow cat back from a gti, cost me £75 second hand and its still as good as the day I fitted it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 03:26 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(27-10-2014, 11:48 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Its doesnt compute in my head as to why you have spent good money and done a proper job elsewhere but your skimping and bodging old & new bits of exhaust together?
I don't have the £350 for a mongoose or similar, thats the issue.

(27-10-2014, 12:29 PM)RetroPug Wrote: You can get decent 2nd hand whole cat back exhausts for 100-120.

Bollocks i picked up my Scorpion for cheap. Just search every cars breaking thread on here and gti6 and you will come up trumps.

I would never go near a sportex backbox. They are the absolute worst of cheap shit exhausts that are purely for noise! Exactly like i will never use a magnex exhaust.

First choice for me will always be mongoose exhausts, worth every penny of that asking price IMO. Settled with the scorpion due to price and quality though.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
In your sun strip photo, is that the remains of the estate in the background

On the subject of exhausts, don't think any could be worse noise than a Spoon (don't hold me to that) exhaust....I quote Matt here... "angry wasp in a can"

My ears after that rolling road run. Speechless
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 04:15 PM)mr_fish Wrote: In your sun strip photo, is that the remains of the estate in the background

On the subject of exhausts, don't think any could be worse noise than a Spoon (don't hold me to that) exhaust....I quote Matt here... "angry wasp in a can"

My ears after that rolling road run. Speechless

Angry wasp in a bean can lol
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 03:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: Theres bargains to be had...just no one selling I guess.

Ive got a powerflow cat back from a gti, cost me £75 second hand and its still as good as the day I fitted it
The problem is my exhaust has come off twice in the last week, I need something cheap and relatively effective asap.

(27-10-2014, 03:41 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Bollocks i picked up my Scorpion for cheap. Just search every cars breaking thread on here and gti6 and you will come up trumps.

I would never go near a sportex backbox. They are the absolute worst of cheap shit exhausts that are purely for noise! Exactly like i will never use a magnex exhaust.

First choice for me will always be mongoose exhausts, worth every penny of that asking price IMO. Settled with the scorpion due to price and quality though.
I'm not on the GTi6 forum and there was nothing that took my fancy on here. If I get another stainless I'm holding out for another blue flame one.

I cant see how your saying the sportex is shit quality, from the pictures on google they look better made than the Magnex ones that everyone fapps over, like theres 3 hangers on the back box all with the proper clips to retain the exhaust rubber for a start and the welding couldn't be worse than the magnex which is atrocious.

(27-10-2014, 04:15 PM)mr_fish Wrote: In your sun strip photo, is that the remains of the estate in the background

Yeah thats the last of the estate, gonna cut that up tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 10:08 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(27-10-2014, 03:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: Theres bargains to be had...just no one selling I guess.

The problem is my exhaust has come off twice in the last week, I need something cheap and relatively effective asap.

(27-10-2014, 03:41 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Bollocks i picked up my Scorpion for cheap. Just search every cars breaking thread on here and gti6 and you will come up trumps.

I'm not on the GTi6 forum and there was nothing that took my fancy on here. If I get another stainless I'm holding out for another blue flame one.

I cant see how your saying the sportex is shit quality, from the pictures on google they look better made than the Magnex ones that everyone fapps over, like theres 3 hangers on the back box all with the proper clips to retain the exhaust rubber for a start and the welding couldn't be worse than the magnex which is atrocious.

Yeah thats the last of the estate, gonna cut that up tomorrow.

I have used so many different exhaust systems over the years i feel qualified to judge.

Sportex is only mild steal hence the cheap price and the fact it'll rot out! I do NOT rate the magnex at all, constant piss poor quality problems with the one i had. Zakks hasn't been problem free but i think thats more because someone has heatwrapped the entire system so it keeps melting the middle hanger.

Scorpion has made good power on mine and sits perfectly, doesnt rattle / vibrate and is alot better made than the magnex.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(27-10-2014, 03:26 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

Actually, you can.
My full Mongoose was 110, I've seen full scorpions go for anywhere from 90-120 in the last few months. My current exhaust cost a bit more than that but I had a fair bit of fabrication done.

You just need to wait and keep looking at that price. I'm happy to let you know if a nice one pops up on the gti6 forum if that'd help. However, you've mentioned you don't have time to wait, which is ok. They are out there though.

I've never used a sportex exhaust so can't comment on them.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I had that back box on my 6 it was awful just pure deafening noise had to wear ear defenders all the time changed it after not very long. That exhaust hanger is however a work of art.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Why not find a standard system and fit that till you can afford a nice one?
Surely theres a few peeps with a standard system just sat around doing nout?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 08:10 PM)Piggy Wrote: Why not find a standard system and fit that till you can afford a nice one?
Surely theres a few peeps with a standard system just sat around doing nout?!

Because standard systems cost more than cheap aftermarket ones?
Thanks given by:
What even second hand??
Someone on here must have one they dont want?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2014, 08:26 PM)Piggy Wrote: What even second hand??
Someone on here must have one they dont want?!

Yeah a lot of the standard system is NLA from pug so they seem to go for a lot now!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
James, you forget it comes with GTi tax.... lol
Thanks given by:
Yep look on the "other forum" they sell for more than most stainless systems.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
So in preparation for the new exhaust I bought myself some ear defenders and some new ear plugs. Both are 35db reduction. The ear defenders are 3M Peltor Optime 3s and the plugs are Howard Leight Laser Lites. Also got myself a swanky Red Bull Racing case for the ear plugs to go on my keys.

[attachment=19822]
[attachment=19823]
Thanks given by:
Ah I recognise those ear plugs!

I also took a stash at NHC Wink
Thanks given by:
Sportex really aren't as shit as some people are making out, build quality is fine, noise is nice.. but they're loud. If you don't mind that, then it'll be fine. I had a de-cat, to straight through centre and then that backbox and it sounded pretty nuts at 7250 with a half stripped car.

For the price they're good enough, but going from that to a scorpion.. you do get a slight increase in mid-range torque and it's generally a lot quieter when you want it to be.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 12:01 PM)af1 Wrote: Ah I recognise those ear plugs!

I also took a stash at NHC Wink
Nope I paid for these. Used them the last time I was on a range and really liked them so bought some.

(29-10-2014, 12:07 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Sportex really aren't as shit as some people are making out, build quality is fine, noise is nice.. but they're loud. If you don't mind that, then it'll be fine. I had a de-cat, to straight through centre and then that backbox and it sounded pretty nuts at 7250 with a half stripped car.

For the price they're good enough, but going from that to a scorpion.. you do get a slight increase in mid-range torque and it's generally a lot quieter when you want it to be.

Exactly. It can't physically be any louder than the Magnex that was on there so it'll do
Thanks given by:
Those peltors are ace!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 04:21 PM)Piggy Wrote: Those peltors are ace!

I know. Put them on in front of the TV the other night and couldn't hear the TV at all.
Thanks given by:
hope your having more luck with your rallye then i am mine.. mine is quickly becomming a money pit!!
Thanks given by:
Mine is a massive money pit too, she is a complete and utter diva.
Thanks given by:
Facking loved my Scorpion tbh...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
haha yes!

its certainly a labour of love
Thanks given by:
after the power gains for going back to a std system im not refilting my loud stainles system to the six!
i bought my std system for under £80 delivered and that included the genuine CAT
you just need to wait and trawl the forums to find the goodies
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 06:51 PM)Ruan Wrote: Facking loved my Scorpion tbh...

I'm stainless straight-through to a scorpion backbox, sounds amazing.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Mine was simply the stock system, decatted with original midsection and Scorpion rear box... Brilliantly quiet at cruise, raspy and snarly as hell under full load with a propensity to crackle and bang like a bastard.

Never felt it significantly reduced midrange, but worked hard just before the limiter... You definitely had to keep the engine on it's toes to extract performance!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
My problem with standard mid boxes is with me driving they never seem to keep their baffles intact for long.

As I've said if a blue flame system pops up I'll be all over it like a rash.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 221,403 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Boring Black Rallye wainwrightj 57 19,836 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Black Rallye Ongoing Project hbomb1905 29 9,187 23-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Eeyore