Dum-Dum's Black Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dum's Black Rallye
Well I have been out and driven with a few sensors unplugged and the car is fine and well behaved without the lambda so apologies and rep to Matt.

(10-10-2014, 10:35 PM)Piggy Wrote: So your "lightweight" rallye is only 60kg lighter than my heavyweight GTD! lol

Allow for driver weight difference....be about the same Tongue

You have me wanting to weigh it with no crap in there but full tank of fuel/oil/screenwash as My GTi6 was 1200kg under those conditions.

Could then see really how much lighter the rallye actually is.

Although I had seen figures that said the GTi6 was 1214kg and the Rallye 1163kg giving a 51kg difference.
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2014, 07:18 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I don't have pug planet and I have known working sensors here. Changing things one at a time is diagnosing the fault.

If i took my car to a garage with this fault and they just changed things till it was right, id take it away straight away and take it to a garage that had half an ounce of sense!

If you want PP, i may be persuaded to sell my kit Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Of course you would, but if you didn't have diagnostics and took it to a mate that had a load of known good sensors hanging about... Rolleyes

Chris, i already told you the lambda was probably f*cked when you brought it down for MOT! How are you getting on with the rest of the faults?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-10-2014, 04:38 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Well I have been out and driven with a few sensors unplugged and the car is fine and well behaved without the lambda so apologies and rep to Matt.

(10-10-2014, 10:35 PM)Piggy Wrote: So your "lightweight" rallye is only 60kg lighter than my heavyweight GTD! lol

Allow for driver weight difference....be about the same Tongue

You have me wanting to weigh it with no crap in there but full tank of fuel/oil/screenwash as My GTi6 was 1200kg under those conditions.

Could then see really how much lighter the rallye actually is.

Although I had seen figures that said the GTi6 was 1214kg and the Rallye 1163kg giving a 51kg difference.

Cheers for Rep Tongue

Lambda was making mine behave in a similar way, and when i wrote MAF i of course meant MAP Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 06:03 AM)Poodle Wrote: Of course you would, but if you didn't have diagnostics and took it to a mate that had a load of known good sensors hanging about... Rolleyes

Chris, i already told you the lambda was probably f*cked when you brought it down for MOT! How are you getting on with the rest of the faults?

Yeah I just never realised the lambda could f*ck the car that badly. I do have one that works better in the garage but I'm just gonna buy a brand new one on pay day.

As for the faults;
- the indicators are less temperamental now but I'm looking for a new stalk.
- the tracking is getting done on pay day
- I swapped the starter motor
- Hopefully new exhaust on pay day too with new gaskets.
- I've not had a chance to swap the moody rear hub
- I've also not sorted the aux roller as I quite like its screaming bearing. Might do that tomorrow.

I've forgotten what else wasn't right but thats about it I think.
Thanks given by:
Lambda is SO important when it comes to petrols in my experience of poor running...
Its the only way the ecu really knows if its doing everything right!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
When you buy a lambda, make sure you get a bosch one (about £60 for the gti). Use a cheap one or one of these generic ones and it will be horrendously down on power!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Oh yeah definitely gonna be a bosch one, wouldn't buy anything else.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 02:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: Lambda is SO important when it comes to petrols in my experience of poor running...
Its the only way the ecu really knows if its doing everything right!

Not overly true. The ecu doesn't rely that heavily on the lambda for this reason. They fail and fail fairly regularly. In fact, the only sensor it really relies on is the CPS
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 02:26 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Oh yeah definitely gonna be a bosch one, wouldn't buy anything else.

Or if you plan to have any power mods, get a wideband kit with a LMU 4.2 or 4.9. Providing it has a linear narrowband output you are sorted and have a lambda gauge. Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I dont have the money for a wideband as sadly the car really could do with an exhaust this month.
Thanks given by:
just remember that a dead lambda will kill a CAT cause of the overfueling so if it has one that might need replacing to get it through emissions too
Thanks given by:
I went all the way to the ring and back at 11:1 lambda. Got back, no cat left.

Too true cully.
JP
Thanks given by:
I don't think the cat is too good anyway but it'll be de-cat as soon as I can afford to change it.
Thanks given by:
Ah well, something every day eh. Still can't believe that starter died mid-test, f'ing pita lol. Lol at the aux tensioner, who needs a supercharger!

What was up with the rear hub, wheel bearing? I missed that...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 10:26 PM)jammapic Wrote: I went all the way to the ring and back at 11:1 lambda. Got back, no cat left.

Too true cully.

Flip... MPGs must have been awful!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2014, 06:17 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ah well, something every day eh. Still can't believe that starter died mid-test, f'ing pita lol. Lol at the aux tensioner, who needs a supercharger!

What was up with the rear hub, wheel bearing? I missed that...

Nearside rear hub one, the one with the wheel bolt has had its thread partially stripped at some point, the bolt only gets any real bite on the last half turn although you still have to turn it in the whole way and can't just pull it out its not right.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2014, 10:26 PM)jammapic Wrote: I went all the way to the ring and back at 11:1 lambda. Got back, no cat left.

Too true cully.

Moral of the story, make sure you take your laptop with you so you can change that lol.
I wouldn't want to see 11:1 at full throttle let alone at cruising speeds!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Oh yeah, i remember you saying now. Got numerous spare rear hub assys here, take your pick lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-10-2014, 06:48 AM)Poodle Wrote: Oh yeah, i remember you saying now. Got numerous spare rear hub assys here, take your pick lol.

Why do you have every single spare part I need!!!!!.

Any chance you'd text me with a price on a suitable hub.
Thanks given by:
#text#

I has some hubs, come and take one out of the bloody way cos i can't seem to stop hoarding shite. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well as its been a while since I've updated this here goes. I went to pug and got some bits last week. Gaskets, Filters and a CTS.
[attachment=19788]

In changing the inlet manifold gasket I noticed it has a massively ported throttle body although the butterfly itself appears to be standard.
[attachment=19789]

I also re hung my back box as the wire that was on it had melted and allowed the exhaust to drop so I used some really thick amp power cable, that shouldn't melt
[attachment=19790]

I also fitted myself a sun strip as I hate the low winter sun coming over the top of the rearview mirror or round the sun visors into my eyes and also so I can have the visor on the side window and not have the sun coming in the front.
[attachment=19791]

Sadly it only took a week for my exhaust to melt through the thicker cable.

I spent ages today trying to sort the system that was on the rallye to make it fit the car sensibly. It appears to be a really badly made custom stainless job although it looks like a magnex. Alot of the strengthening flanges are snapped, the welding is terrible and its joined to the standard system by a shit reducer thats actually welded to the bit of the de-cat section that sleeves inside a standard mid section.

To make matters worse in trying to remove the lambda sensor from the de-cat I ran out of gas (although it was red hot by this point) and it took alot of force by which I mean snap the body off then 22mm socket and breaker bar. This did get it turning and it came out. Sadly it had left almost all of its thread inside the hole.

This meant that yet again I had to try and reattach the poor attempt at a back box, went for jubilee clips this time, lots of jubilee clips.
[attachment=19792]

I'm going to have to buy something but I'm quite skint. Got a tap for the lambda hole coming and hopefully be able to re-use the de-cat. Thinking a sportex back box and umming and ahing between a HDi mid section or a straight pipe mid section.
Thanks given by:
I had an issue with the same throttle body as you.
If I was WOT it would bog down and not accelerate properly. If I lifted off slightly it took off like a rocket in comparison to bogging down.

Just a thought. Might be related to your problem.

I swapped it for a standard throttle body and it went back to normal.

I guess the MAF sensor doesn't like the extra air flow

Sorry just read the lambda fixed it
Thanks given by:
Gutting about the exhaust system, but good to see you at your finiest with the jubilees!!! lol

I got abunch of stainless exhaust lengths and bends and a backbox you are welcome to for a few quid?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 05:30 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: I had an issue with the same throttle body as you.
If I was WOT it would bog down and not accelerate properly. If I lifted off slightly it took off like a rocket in comparison to bogging down.

As far as I can tell the big body isn't detrimental to the car.

(26-10-2014, 07:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: Gutting about the exhaust system, but good to see you at your finiest with the jubilees!!! lol

I got abunch of stainless exhaust lengths and bends and a backbox you are welcome to for a few quid?!
Nah, If I wanted to weld something I'd just weld a proper flange and a different box onto the stainless shit I already have. I just want something that fits as standard and is individually interchangeable with standard bits. I'm thinking about interchangeability of cats at MOT time and exhaust boxes for track noise regulations. Thanks for the offer though.
Thanks given by:
No worries matey ThumbsUp

Can you not get a dummy cat made to save MOT time hassle? Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 09:19 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(26-10-2014, 05:30 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: I had an issue with the same throttle body as you.

As far as I can tell the big body isn't detrimental to the car.

(26-10-2014, 07:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: Gutting about the exhaust system, but good to see you at your finiest with the jubilees!!! lol

Nah, If I wanted to weld something I'd just weld a proper flange and a different box onto the stainless shit I already have. I just want something that fits as standard and is individually interchangeable with standard bits. I'm thinking about interchangeability of cats at MOT time and exhaust boxes for track noise regulations. Thanks for the offer though.

Piss poor welding, exhaust falling apart all the tie.. yep sounds exactly like my magnex! Cheap shite and i shall never be using one again! Just suck it up, put a cat on it and a tidy mongoose / scorpion and then enjoy nice torque, exhaust noise and many bwarps along with a decent quality and fitment!

I completely sympathise with you on the sunstrip, 306 sun visors are actually pointless lol
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(26-10-2014, 09:27 PM)Piggy Wrote: No worries matey ThumbsUp

Can you not get a dummy cat made to save MOT time hassle? Smile
Easy enough to switch to a proper one in fairness mate and it wont pass without one.

(27-10-2014, 07:41 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Piss poor welding, exhaust falling apart all the tie.. yep sounds exactly like my magnex! Cheap shite and i shall never be using one again! Just suck it up, put a cat on it and a tidy mongoose / scorpion and then enjoy nice torque, exhaust noise and many bwarps along with a decent quality and fitment!

I completely sympathise with you on the sunstrip, 306 sun visors are actually pointless lol
Yeah maybe it is then, it certainly looks like a magnex but not only is the quality shit it's obscenely loud too, like you all know I like a loud car if you heard my GTi but this gave me ringing ears even with ear plugs. I'm not even sure it would be that loud with no exhaust at all.

I've ordered a Sportex back box and I'm gonna team that either with the now ruined cat and standard mid section thats also now ruined, only taken me a month to blow the baffles and crack the box itself with too many bangs when i lift off. That or hopefully the lambda goes nicely in the de-cat once I've re cut the thread and I'll use a £25 HDi mid section as at least that has no baffles at least until I can afford a straight through mid section.

Its one of these
[Image: %24T2eC16FHJH8E9qSEUc7MBQG6PGV+Ow~~60_57.JPG]
Thanks given by:
Its doesnt compute in my head as to why you have spent good money and done a proper job elsewhere but your skimping and bodging old & new bits of exhaust together?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
You can get decent 2nd hand whole cat back exhausts for 100-120.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells Black Rallye Eeyore 736 221,413 22-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Boring Black Rallye wainwrightj 57 19,837 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Black Rallye Ongoing Project hbomb1905 29 9,187 23-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Eeyore