My Phase 1 Sigma D Turbo.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phase 1 Sigma D Turbo.
Back in March 2013 i waved goodbye to my 106 and made way for a bigger 306 D Turbo S.

Here's how she started out, on the drive next to my old 1 litre 106! Standard!
[attachment=18853]
[attachment=18854]
[attachment=18855]
[attachment=18856]

First thing she needed was a new set of boots! Picked up some cyclones for £80, new set of tyres and gave them a quick spray up myself!
[attachment=18857]

One the car:
[attachment=18858]
[attachment=18859]

Before/After cleans!
[attachment=18860]
[attachment=18861]

Next job was the usual screw+wound... After straight piping, panel filter and MBC, got the car running 20 psi... More to come...

With all that done, she needed bigger breaks. As everyone on here knows, standard D Turbo brakes are a joke... Made way for GTi-6 brakes...
[attachment=18863]
[attachment=18864]

Uh oh... 4,000 miles and these RainSport 2's were battered... (Don't tell me, i've had enough arguments with people about these tyres before)
[attachment=18865]

Wanted to paint the calipers, but was unsure on colour. Red was far too over done, so decided on bright green, but hey, i think they look pretty funky!
[attachment=18866]
[attachment=18867]

Next job: SIDE SKIRTS. Needed them so badly! Got a set for £10 and stuck em on! Gosh they make so much difference!
[attachment=18868]
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Ph1 DturboS is the only XUD i would ever own Big Grin

Good little upgrades! glad to see one being looked after, long may it continue Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Over the next few months i had some pretty bad luck...

Had to get the windscreen replaced 3 times in 4 weeks.
One was a chip i had since i bought the car that escalated.
Second was my mates car throwing a stone at my windscreen.
Third was a lorry that dropped debris and again, cracked my windscreen. (ON THE SAME ROAD)
[attachment=18869]
[attachment=18870]

Now the fun stuff...

Purchased a TD04L. Just to be safe, got it rebuilt...
Before:
[attachment=18871]

After:
[attachment=18872]

Once rebuilt, got bored one friday so decided to bolt it on... After pulling the K14 off in half an, compared them both in size, then got to work bolting it up!

K14 and TD04!

[attachment=18873]
[attachment=18874]

After a bit of modifying to the bulkhead with an air powered chisel and a hammer. Finally got the turbocharger in place.
[attachment=18875]
[attachment=18876]
[attachment=18877]

After getting the TD04L bolted up. As a few of you know, had a few problems with the boosting on it. Turns out the wastegate was being slightly help open by the actuator arm. Fixed the problem, took off that horrific bleed MBC valve and i'm not running it with actuator connected atm, but as soon as i get a Bosch pump on it (couldn't find one at the time, got one in the post right now hopefully) i'll get a ball and spring on it as i have one waiting to on on...

Lucas pumps aren't fully useless in my experience. After a bit of playing about with it, i get good solid boost from 2,800 rpm all the way to 4,800 rpm. It's alright, but again, could do with more.

Next to get thrown in was phase 2 rear lights... Wiring = typically french. Didn't match the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, so me and my mate just worked all the switched and followed the board to see which pin did what.

[attachment=18878]

Right, as you can see in the above image, the rear axle didn't look in best shape. Got a new axle off my mate and the following day got to work throwing it on! Took me and a few of my mates all of 10 minutes to pull the axle off the donor car! Comparable to an F1 pit stop! You'll also noticed i fitted a drum type back axle. New wheel bearings, shoes and slave cylinders with new cables next week hopefully!

(this is me admiring what my car would look like lowered, as it had a rear axle and my tool box in the boot!)

[attachment=18879]

Took me a few hours and a bit of shouting to get my old rear axle off...
[attachment=18880]
[attachment=18881]

After fitting the rear axle, i had a bit of a problem with my brakes in the way of my master cylinder died. Fitted a new (D Turbo) one and re-bled all the brakes, twice and it drives okay, but still it needs a GTi-6 MC!

Here she is now!

[attachment=18882]

Next thing to hopefully get done is get the Bosch pump on when it finally arrives...

Updates to follow, thank you for your time.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
nice work, i miss my Sigma . . . one of the best colours imho . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
liking this.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks a good car mate

Dturbo S fwends!

Cant help but think the wheels need to be a lighter colour tho. Good work
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looks great. needs good smack with the lowering stick and get that bosch on it to use the td04!!

(and its brakes btw! Tongue )

I like the green too...goes well Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 07:14 PM)Jimbo Wrote: Looks a good car mate

Dturbo S fwends!

Cant help but think the wheels need to be a lighter colour tho. Good work

Was either satin black or graphite grey... Only had cans of satin so sprayed them up in that! Easy to sort if i curb a wheel or something too!

(09-09-2014, 07:39 PM)Piggy Wrote: looks great. needs good smack with the lowering stick and get that bosch on it to use the td04!!

(and its brakes btw! Tongue )

I like the green too...goes well Smile

Been waiting almost 2 weeks for a Bosch pump in the post now! Pretty much maxed the Lucas...
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Updates:

Wastegate = welded. Almost instantly the turbo was whistling at 1600 RPM, and was coming on at 10 psi at 2,000 rpm and pulling 20-22 psi (with a Lucas) and revving to 4,750 before governor hit. (So maybe the actuator was shagged before). Made a nice CHOO noise when changing gear! If it blows it blows and if it holds it holds. Only downside to this is that my clutch slipped horrendously in 3st/4rd/5st gear pulls. It's not the power, i just reckon it's the fact an old clutch is suddenly getting hooned and died. (Should be dropping a new on in next weekend!)

[attachment=19054]
[attachment=19055]

Due to the Bosch pump off ebay becoming an absolute mess of a situation, i went to looms found a Bosch pump on a ZX hidden in the corner. Pulled it off, with lines and injectors (3 came off a 406 that were practically brand new!) all for £50.

Fitting wasn't too bad of a job tbh. Took my time, got it fitted. Started up nicely but around 1,500 rpm had quite bad diesel knock. Slackened 3 supporting nuts and rotated the pump a tad advanced until she ran smoothly and tightened them back up. Get a tiny puff of grey smoke from time to time, but the engine sounds and feels sweet, so might just be a slight timing issue i can hopefully sort out with rotating the pump a tad more. Stock tune didn't smoke at all, even in 5th gear and foot to the floor at 30 mph... Turbocharger boosts at 12-14 psi.

Gave her a good run last night and she seemed alright, only minor issues are that it's prolonged cranking before it starts (maybe timing or air in fuel) but it does fire, and the stupidy throttle damper on the back of the pump needs getting thrown in the bin...

Soon to be LDA ground/gov modded!

[attachment=19056]
[attachment=19058]
[attachment=19059]

Didn't have a multimeter so had to improvise by using a bulb to find the ignition live for le stop solenoid!

[attachment=19057]

I'll be throwing a clutch in her this weekend but hopefully won't take too long so i can get the LDA/Gov sorted out!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
UPDATESUPDATESUPDATESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:

Got round to finally gov modding + LDA grinding.

Shimmed the gov. The car now revs freely to 5,500 (as far as i dare take it) on boost. Removes the "restricted" feel the car had.

[attachment=19260]

I don't know anyone with a lathe to perfectly grind the LDA to the measurements i wanted. So i had to crack the dremel and have a go. It's not the best, but it's got to be better than it was. There's a slight ridge, but i wanted the smoothest finish possible.

[attachment=19261]

Also, since the picture was taken i've again modified the LDA more as looking at the pin scratch on the pin itself, you could see that the very top it was almost coming back on itself so i've had to take more out and again smoothen the finish.

Since i've done this the car drives completely different. It's got a very nice, revvy powerband. For some reason the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping at the moment? As it was when i had it running the Lucas at 20 psi. This is running 20-22 psi but i want to aim for around 28 psi. I thought it was almost impossible for a clutch to re-bed after it's slipped?

Only other ways i can see to increase boost is to increase the max fuelling, but lower the idle setting by using the idle screw on the back of the pump. Nice way to make an XUD nippy!

Updates to follow.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Nice.. Bulkhead mods look a bit daunting haha. How long did it take you to swap the rear beams over?
Thanks given by:
(26-09-2014, 08:53 PM)laurence_13 Wrote: Nice.. Bulkhead mods look a bit daunting haha. How long did it take you to swap the rear beams over?

Yeah, i went a bit extreme with that, so i've got to (when the engine is next off its mount, get a welder in and weld something in to give it some strength again!).

Beam change took about 2-3 hours. Dropping the axle itself is easy, just things like undoing seized brake lines and fitting new shoes and cylinder that add a little bit of extra time. If you're thinking of doing a beam change, i'd reccomend wire brushing them off and soaking them in WD40/DoubleT over night!
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
Need to wind that idle screw all the way out and the max throttle position too!! Then adjust idle by max fuel! Then you will see some boost!!!

Gov could probably be shimmed even more but thats a fair effort for your first time!

Good work chap Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
UPDATES:

Over last weekend my clutch got to the point where even at half throttle on boost, it would happily slip. Got on the dog and bone monday morning and ordered a new LUK clutch.

Best thing was is that the pressure plate had "Sachs" stamped into it, with an LUK friction plate:

[attachment=19338]
[attachment=19339]
[attachment=19340]

Managed to get my old clutch out in about an hour and a half, taking my time, trying not to break anything. Got to my old clutch and wow, what a state...

Flywheel was a bit blued with some shiney patches, but no way near as bad as the pressure plate. The friction plate was showing signs of slip (worn down edges) and that it's probably been in there a good while and the TD04 isn't doing it any good...

[attachment=19341]
[attachment=19342]

I didn't notice until afterwards that the actual holders for the springs had snapped so you could move the springs with your fingers. Covered in dust and all the usual.

Fitted the new clutch and as the release bearing came as far of the pressure plate and couldn't be separated, i had to slip the fork onto the release bearing. Did it first time, not to mention there's a little black rectangular bung that sits on top of the gearbox housing. Remove this and you can see perfectly inside with a light. Lined up the arm and release bearing, slotted gearbox straight on. Didn't realise how bad my clutch was before. Pedal after was light, i mean, seriously light. Biting point was about half the way up.

Another thing i'm not sure about is bedding the clutch in. Some people reckon i should, others reckon i don't need to? Anyone shed any light on this? Cheers.
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:
UPDATES:

Been a while since i've worked on my car as i've moved from Nottingham and i don't have to facility where i live to work on my car anymore (unless i'm back in Nottingham).

-Fitted new clutch
-Fitted new clutch cable
-Tuned the pump (for now)

After fitting the new clutch, i had problems with it being very on/off with slipping.
Replaced the clutch cable and the naffing thing was all over, so after sorting it, and getting it into its right positioning, the clutch holds.

I say holds, if you accelerate from 1st/2nd gear, the clutch will hold through every gear. Also winding back the max fuel by 1/3rd of a turn, also helped with the clutch slipping issue. She could do with a paddle, but time/money/facility means i'll have to put it off for a while.

If you accelerate in 3rd/4th off boost, coming on boost, it slips. Off boost and load in 5th, it slips.

Won't have the time/facility until after Christmas to get a FMIC fitted on it, so it's still running the vastly heatsoaked TMIC.

She's a nippy little wagon, have to say, a lad in a Focus ST didn't look very impressed when i held him.

Updates and pictures will follow, cheers.

EDIT:

Just a little video of how she goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCFHT2wHb4

UPDATES: 7/12/14

The car is now back in Nottingham as it's no longer needed in London. HOWEVER, just as i pulled up on the drive after a 2 hour drive home, this happened... 

(won't allow me to upload picture, so will try again another time)

Bad thing is, i won't be doing any work on her til after Christmas, so now just sitting in a yard resting up. 
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up FCS prep phase win sigma gearbox mounted mikey b 199 53,985 03-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Last Post: puglove
  Sigma 96 phase 1 306 gti 6 SKoob 76 27,211 10-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Phase 1 Sigma GTi6 Project c.gerrard 75 19,075 04-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Last Post: c.gerrard