Tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax
Tom, I've not really read much of the thread but you mention the fact that soon no-one will want a pre Y-reg HDI, however surely it will make higher tax class cars even more popular/affordable because people can pay via direct debit?

Most people will purely look at a monthly figure, so a £200 a year tax vehicle will be £16-£18 a month, whereas a £115 a year will be £10-11 a month, some people won't be bothered!
Thanks given by:
Simple tom. As cars become better on emissions over the years, the newer ones will start to get the free/£30 tax bands and those in cars that are currently in cars under these bands will go up.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 09:58 PM)DavidA Wrote: Adding it to the cost of fuel means you pay more tax the more fuel you use, so even an efficient car will get hammered if it's used for long journeys every day (like my 100+ mile commute) while someone with a hulking great V8 that's only used on sunny summer Sundays is going to pay far less...I can see the benefit to both means of calculation.

Yeah but thats a perfect system.

You would be polluting more than the V8 driver!! And if he is on LPG he would be cleaner than your crappy eco machine per mile anyway!! Esp when that cat on the econaturefriendly does a heat cycle and chucks all the rubbish out the exhaust.

There will never be a system ruled by man where every man is happy.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 08:34 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom, I've not really read much of the thread but you mention the fact that soon no-one will want a pre Y-reg HDI, however surely it will make higher tax class cars even more popular/affordable because people can pay via direct debit?

Most people will purely look at a monthly figure, so a £200 a year tax vehicle will be £16-£18 a month, whereas a £115 a year will be £10-11 a month, some people won't be bothered!

That's why people are in debt lol. It doesn't matter whether you pay it monthly or yearly, it costs the same (well, a bit more monthly lol)! Pre 2001 cars with a decent engine are £230 a year, that's still double a lot of newer cars, whether you pay it monthly or not.

I certainly wouldn't buy an HDi without tax on it as you've gotta spend half its value in tax over a year! And they'll all be without tax in the new scheme...

(09-09-2014, 08:53 AM)Niall Wrote: Simple tom. As cars become better on emissions over the years, the newer ones will start to get the free/£30 tax bands and those in cars that are currently in cars under these bands will go up.

They cant change the band the cars are currently in though (its on the V5 iirc), and there aren't any letters before A, so I don't see how that'd work?
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 08:53 AM)Niall Wrote: Simple tom. As cars become better on emissions over the years, the newer ones will start to get the free/£30 tax bands and those in cars that are currently in cars under these bands will go up.

(09-09-2014, 09:10 AM)Toms306 Wrote: They cant change the band the cars are currently in though (its on the V5 iirc), and there aren't any letters before A, so I don't see how that'd work?

Never noticed over the years how each time you tax your car it's gone up a few quid?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but its only a 5er a year. And currently the £30 and under bands don't go up...

They could, but at a 5er a year it'd never get them back what they're losing.
Thanks given by:
Tom they can change anything they like. Who says the bands have to go for A to K, A being the cheapest? (Although that is logical). It will happen. Give it 10 years and diesels will be horrible polluting things and most people will be driving tiny turbo charged petrols which put on 50g/co2.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
10 years? I think its already here lol, with brand new cars anyway, obviously it'll take time to filter through to the 2nd hand market. Small charged petrols are the way to go definitely, cleaner than diesels, lighter than diesels, less emmisions shite than diesels, and do near enough the same MPG for the performance.

What frustrates me though, is the technology to make things more efficient and cheaper to run (not just in cars) is always so expensive only the rich people can afford to save money! Dodgy I'd have an EcoBoost Fiesta ST if I could afford to buy one lol, cheaper tax than a HDi, same mpg and 180bhp! A guy on my road's just bought one, needless to say I couldn't keep up with it! lmao
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 09:08 AM)Piggy Wrote: There will never be a system ruled by man where every man is happy.

Wise words my friend.
Thanks given by:
[/quote]
I certainly wouldn't buy an HDi without tax on it as you've gotta spend half its value in tax over a year! And they'll all be without tax in the new scheme...

[/quote]

then you wont be changing cars again, as from next month you wont be able to buy any car with tax on no matter what the value of it is.

and paying half the value of a car in tax 3monthes after you buy it as may happen now is no different to paying it the day you get the car.

ill still get my tax yearly wont make any differance to me as i put mney to one side each month for the car fund.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2014, 09:49 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(09-09-2014, 09:08 AM)Piggy Wrote: There will never be a system ruled by man where every man is happy.

Wise words my friend.

"I well know...that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: