Tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax
So what's the new rules and when are they enforced?
I hear it's now a pay monthly thing, starting at the begining of oct?
What happens to anyone buying tax now? As the disc is useless now right?

I was due to tax my car 7days ago, but paperwork wasn't here, tempted to sorn till the new rules come in so I don't have to pay a lump sum Tongue
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
http://bit.ly/1rXh0pf Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hate you. I did google it, but it came up with a lot of mixed answers and different forums of useless rubbish aha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Heart
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
still need to tax as normal at present until the 1st of october.

stil need to display a disk until the 1st of october, though after the 1st you can do away with the disk and holder from the window.

any one taxing a car via the dvla website right now wont get a proper disk, they have run out of them, so what you get is a letter explaining the changes, what you can and cant do and then a color laser print of your disk at the bottom, which you must cut out and display
Thanks given by:
And if you buy one at the post office it comes on a piece of paper that you have to cut out by hand, no more perforated paper!
Thanks given by:
They've ran out of the discs early!? Doh

Surely they know how many cars get taxed per month roughly....

Also, anyone know why it didn't start in September, being new reg month and when most new cars are sold, would have made much more sense!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 08:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: They've ran out of the discs early!? Doh

Surely they know how many cars get taxed per month roughly....

Also, anyone know why it didn't start in September, being new reg month and when most new cars are sold, would have made much more sense!

That'd be too simple.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 08:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: would have made much more sense!

of course it would, and that's why our government is like it is! Dodgy
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
The worst part is not being able to sell a car with tax. It basically means u can only sell a private car within normal dvla office hours to tax the bloody thing over the phone... Joke. I hated the dvla before and hate them even more now.
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
That's not quite right Orta -

"You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

However, it is a complete pain in the arse. Which is why I'm trying to buy something before the new rules come in to keep for a while! Stop gaps and chopping and changing just wont be worth it anyomore. Also want to sell my HDi before the new rules come in....cant see anyone buying a pre-Y reg HDi after that!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 08:51 AM)Orta Wrote: The worst part is not being able to sell a car with tax. It basically means u can only sell a private car within normal dvla office hours to tax the bloody thing over the phone... Joke. I hated the dvla before and hate them even more now.

Im not sure about this part.. if you think about it, the car is still taxed under the previous owner until the DVLA receive notification of a change of owner so you should be able to buy a car and drive it home legally. Bit of a grey area that.
Thanks given by:
Don't see what was the problem with how tax was anyway? It seems they just get bored and think of things to change, not liking the idea of having to tax a car as soon as you buy it
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 10:00 AM)PartyJas Wrote: Im not sure about this part.. if you think about it, the car is still taxed under the previous owner until the DVLA receive notification of a change of owner so you should be able to buy a car and drive it home legally. Bit of a grey area that.

Nope, technically, once you've handed over the money, signed the V5 and received a receipt the car belongs to you... So you also can't drive home using DOCs technically.

(08-09-2014, 10:03 AM)Jimmy306uk Wrote: Don't see what was the problem with how tax was anyway?

It wasn't making the government enough money...

Now say you sell a pre-Y reg car over 1.55cc on the 14th of the month.

You don't get the tax back so have given the gov't a tenner for nothing.

The new owner has to immediately pay for the full month, giving the gov't a tenner for doing nothing.

They've doubled their money compared the 'old' system where you'd sell the vehicle with the rest of the months tax on it...

£20 might not seem much on one car to some people....but multiply that by every car sold in a month!! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
i was thinking about the DVLA the other day, when trying to find my chequebook to send a cheque off for a V317 form for swapping a reg over

you can pay for it by cheque or postal order

cheque or postal order

has anyone in the last 10 years used a cheque or postal order?

come on.. FFS

modernise the whole system. let you submit forms online, pay using paypal etc, absolutely stupid system
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 11:27 AM)rikky Wrote: i was thinking about the DVLA the other day, when trying to find my chequebook to send a cheque off for a V317 form for swapping a reg over

you can pay for it by cheque or postal order

cheque or postal order

has anyone in the last 10 years used a cheque or postal order?

come on.. FFS

Remember paying for fuel with a cheque? They had one of those franking machine things that they'd run your 'Cheque guarantee card' over the cheque with!
Thanks given by:
i remember yes but i've never done it! infact my chequebook is branded "abbey national" and it's been santander for about 6+ years hasn't it? it's ridiculous. i am actually amazed. i don't know anyone who pays for anything by cheque, other than people swapping vehicle reg's through the DVLA. it's hilarious
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
Thanks given by:
Yeah and putting the cost of road tax onto the fuel would of "saved" the government alot of money as they already have a system in place to tax fuel. The only problem with that is then the government need to pay alot more unemployment benefits to the otherwise unemployable people of Swansea and also I reckon it needs a fair bit adding to a liter of fuel, by my maths about 20ppl, and this would cut the amount that people use their cars and so lose the government money.

This is the problem with all government efficiency cuts. They will not make people redundant as a) most people in government jobs are there for years and years so get huge redundancy and b) then there is another person on the unemployment figures and benefits who there is going to be no new job created for.
Thanks given by:
I've never paid by cheque in my life! lol

Only time I see them is when my Nan writes them lol.
Thanks given by:
I've only ever used mine for reg transfers and when ebay first came about & Paypal was unheard of, when you'd pay by cheque & get your item weeks later!
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 11:43 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Yeah and putting the cost of road tax onto the fuel would of "saved" the government alot of money as they already have a system in place to tax fuel.

They do that in France, and diesel is STILL only €1.27 per litre !!!
Thanks given by:
Dum that wouldn't work because then there is no incentive to get people out of big polluting V8s and into little Eco 1.6s which we really do need in this country due to our high level of pollution. And if we aren't careful, will get fined for that by the EU heavily.....and people say being in the EU is a good idea Angry

Also anyone that's just bought a tax disc that ended in August, they aren't even tax discs any more. They ran out of them so it's just printed paper you have to cut out your self lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Niall Wrote: Dum that wouldn't work because then there is no incentive to get people out of big polluting V8s and into little Eco 1.6s which we really do need in this country due to our high level of pollution. And if we aren't careful, will get fined for that by the EU heavily.....and people say being in the EU is a good idea Angry

Wait so adding it to fuel so that people with 20mpg cars will pay alot more than people with 60mpg cars wont tax people for the pollution they cause? Dodgy

And you take the piss out of my maths. Nospeak
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Niall Wrote: Also anyone that's just bought a tax disc that ended in August, they aren't even tax discs any more. They ran out of them so it's just printed paper you have to cut out your self lol

(08-09-2014, 07:55 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: And if you buy one at the post office it comes on a piece of paper that you have to cut out by hand, no more perforated paper!

Jus' saying.... Wink
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 01:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Wait so adding it to fuel so that people with 20mpg cars will pay alot more than people with 60mpg cars wont tax people for the pollution they cause? Dodgy

I'm quite glad - with my commute - that it isn't included in the price of fuel although it obviously works in France. But it would certainly curb people's enthusiasm for doing high miles in low economy cars.
Thanks given by:
The thing is I've seen 45mpg out a V6 mondeo and 20mpg out a prius and I know which is kicking out more emissions so why wouldn't you make the "emissions tax" as it were relative to the amount of emissions a car will actually make because of its usage not because of how economical it could being testing under a very specific set of conditions in a lab that modern cars are made specifically to do well in which is why they have huge holes in fuel maps at certain points in their rev ranges.
Thanks given by:
(08-09-2014, 01:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Niall Wrote: Dum that wouldn't work because then there is no incentive to get people out of big polluting V8s and into little Eco 1.6s which we really do need in this country due to our high level of pollution. And if we aren't careful, will get fined for that by the EU heavily.....and people say being in the EU is a good idea Angry

Wait so adding it to fuel so that people with 20mpg cars will pay alot more than people with 60mpg cars wont tax people for the pollution they cause? Dodgy

And you take the piss out of my maths. Nospeak

Yes i am because the book figures on which cars are based on as to which tax bracket they fall into can vary horrendously. For instance, my kia will do 80mpg going carefully and that is £30 a year because its over 99g/co2 yet the eco friendly free tax wonderful shit box that was the Vauxhall Mokka i recently had struggled to do 45mpg.

(08-09-2014, 02:03 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 01:53 PM)Niall Wrote: Also anyone that's just bought a tax disc that ended in August, they aren't even tax discs any more. They ran out of them so it's just printed paper you have to cut out your self lol

(08-09-2014, 07:55 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: And if you buy one at the post office it comes on a piece of paper that you have to cut out by hand, no more perforated paper!

Jus' saying.... Wink

Skim reading fail lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Adding it to the cost of fuel means you pay more tax the more fuel you use, so even an efficient car will get hammered if it's used for long journeys every day (like my 100+ mile commute) while someone with a hulking great V8 that's only used on sunny summer Sundays is going to pay far less...I can see the benefit to both means of calculation.
Thanks given by:
the tax is meant to be because of the emissions the car is putting out, so you doing your 100+ mile commute is going to produce more emissions and therefore should get taxed more, yes you see this as unfair because you bought an efficient car but your still doing big miles so why shouldnt you be paying more for polluting more?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What I wanna know is, what will happen when the expensive tax cars get phased out?

If say 75% of the cars on the road were only paying £30 tax or less, the gov't would lose a hell of a lot of money compared the average being £180 tax for a 5 year old diesel family saloon. They'll have to find another way to tax cars then I reckon...
Thanks given by: