Anyone handy with vehicle electrics/electronics in the Midlands?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone handy with vehicle electrics/electronics in the Midlands?
I'd like to wire up a heated seat conversion into my front seats, and I'm going to buy a retrofit kit.

These pretty much all come with wiring, switches, a fuse, a relay etc. so should be easy to wire up.
I have managed to get hold of a pair of OEM switches from Scandinavia, and would like to wire up my heating elements to these. I assume I could just delete the relay and switches from the kit, and wire the elements directly to the switches, and hopefully there are even plugs under the centre console for them (should be?) I will have a check to see if there are though.

Is there anyone vaguely local to Warwickshire that is good at wiring things up and wouldn't mind giving me a hand wiring this up properly one weekend day over the next month or two? It should only take a day really. Happy to come to you, or have you over here and provide tea, coffee, biscuits etc.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
these might help
wiring diagram and the loom layout diagram

[attachment=18838]

[attachment=18839]
Thanks given by:
I'm in Bicester and could possibly give you a hand? They'll need to be through a relay, the switches aren't designed to handle the current that the elements will draw... You'll just melt the switches!!! Long as the kits come with a relay, you should be all good though, I'd still power it from the original relay of possible, as that'll be fused etc in fuse box Smile

More than happy to give a hand etc Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
As Ruan has already said you definitely need the relay. If you draw that much current through tiny wires then you are going to melt things and it isnt going to be a fun experience. Relays arent difficult to understand and they are part of the OEM system anyway. Dont cut corners or you will be a whole world of mess!
Thanks given by:
After reading back I think what he meant is, the aftermarket ones come *with* a relay already!?

Although I'd be tempted to power it just like stock - then everything is as original - run your power feed from the main car relay then even relay it again with the relay that comes with the kit...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the offer of help, Bicester isn't far and I'll be off to Oxford on some weekends anyway! I may well take you up on that! Smile

I would like to power it like stock, I did mean that the aftermarket kits come with a control relay, however most kits have high and low settings and the OEM switches just push in and out so I'm not sure the included relay would be the correct one. Yes, when I meant binning the included relay I meant to run it through an OEM one, sorry for being a bit unclear.

My hope would be that:
I can put an OEM relay in the correct place in the relay box, the wiring from that to the switches already runs to the back of the centre console and just needs connecting, and the wiring for the heater elements runs under the seats and just needs connecting to the elements.

Figuring out precisely which OEM relay controls heated seats may be quite tricky, as obviously they weren't an option in the UK. This is a guess, but it is perhaps possible that the wiring for the rear window switches for a 5dr is what is used for heated seat switches as well, as they sit in the same place, although potentially a 3dr loom is a different loom. I would be okay with using the aftermarket relay if it functioned correctly with OEM switches, but definitely want to use OEM switches rather than aftermarket though, so that visually it is OEM. Another potential option would be to get the kit, and then simply get a relay that does what I want from an electronics shop.

Cully those diagrams are handy, thanks a lot!
Is B003 the relay?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
the switches do take the full current of the seats as they switch after the relay!
the relay is 5140 and is energised when the ignition is on
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest Bodge (not car related, but outbuilding/electrics!) cpikey316_ 6 2,443 05-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Probate vehicle valuations Paul_13 6 2,211 07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Lifting a Vehicle over a Pit RetroPug 42 13,776 16-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: RetroPug