Latest Bodge (not car related, but outbuilding/electrics!)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Bodge (not car related, but outbuilding/electrics!)
Must add, this bodge isn't of my doing, I just bought it like this!

Moved to Gloucester last November! Longlevens for any locals. I started putting stuff in the shed, before noticing that it leaked a bit and there were live wires exposed! Eeek! Turned it off and left it!

Fast forward to today, when I went out to sort it out. Turns out the live cables weren't actually connected to anything, so was safe. Has a clean up (previous had many dogs and there was furry evidence of this everywhere!) and snapped some pictures. Picture 2 is where the electricity comes in, through this thick cable which exits the house and goes underground, the grey wire goes off into picture 3 where it goes into that socket. The black plug goes back along the shed to an outside point about halfway down the garden. The white cables goes along to the light, then from that light to the light you can see see in picture 4, then down (I assume) to the sockets in picture 5.

Now this shed is showing signs of wear, there are holes here and there in the panels and the roof doesn't quite fit (it extends like a porch as you can see in the first picture) these gaps are not filled in so are exposed to outside. So i'm not exactly planning an extra room in there, more of a pottering around space. Several bits of the roof are damp and have white stuff on them (mould I guess) so some OSB3 will be required at some point. I can do that but I don't want to be messing with electrics if I don't have to. So all i'll be doing is the odd bit of DIY, some lighting and maybe a bluetooth speaker. Will I get away with what is in there electrics wise for that?

Last note, when the cable goes into my house, it just plugs into 2 sockets on the wall behind a kitchen unit. There is a switch on the RCB box saying "hot tub" (the previous owner had one) I'm hoping that this leads to these sockets and to outside!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
TBH that doesn't look too good. The cable feeding the building isn't made off in the correct manner no form of local isolation. The socket back box has large hole in. Do you know if it's on it own circuit on the mains board in your house? It should be protected by a RCD or RCBO. The twin and earth cables feeding the socket and lights look tight too.

Personally I'd call a local electrician to have a look.

But to answer your question what's there will power your light and blutooth speaker.
Thanks given by:
get a qualified electrician to sort it as it need to be notified and certificated
sub mains feeding the shed dont need to be rcd protected but the fuse board in the shed does

get it done properly!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
F*** I've been digging and hit the cable.

It was about 1 inch below the surface!! Aaargh!

Gonna rip it out and get new (if wife allows) and get an electrician in to make it all right. But i want to do the donkey work to save money.

I'm thinking, straight out, under patio, through trench under lawn (i'll dig) but im scratching my head about the decking, any thoughts on how to get the cable under the decking?

also, how deep does the cable need to be buried (don't wanna bodge it) and does it need to run in a conduit or anything?

Thank you to the helpful people!
Thanks given by:
having a little LIMITED DIY. if ouy're not using Armoured (recommended), you'll need a conduit and fittings under the decking to thread the cable through. I would suggest a minimum 2.5mm T & E thickness.
as for depth, a quote from GOV regs;

Excavations and depth of underground cables

14.—(1) Every underground cable shall be kept at such depth or be otherwise protected so as to avoid, so far as is reasonably practicable, any damage or danger by reason of such uses of the land which can be reasonably expected.
(2) In addition to satisfying the requirements of paragraph (1), an underground cable containing conductors not connected with earth shall be protected, marked or otherwise indicated so as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that any person excavating the land above the cable will be given sufficient warning of its presence.
(3) The protection, marking or indication required by paragraph (2) shall be made by placing the cable in a pipe or duct or by overlaying the cable at a suitable distance with protective tiles or warning tape or by the provision of such other protective or warning device, mark or indication, or by a suitable combination of such measures, as will be likely to provide an appropriate warning.

the last one I did was dug in, in continuous conduit, was an average 18inch deep. covered with some warning tape** a few inches above the cable.

** https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072595D69/r...1303108288
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
The cable i have appears to be armored. Ive chipped a bit of the rubber on the outside and can see metal bands.

I will dig a good trench though. Could i just dig down thread it up into the void under the decking and feed it through?
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2018, 08:01 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: The cable i have appears to be armored. Ive chipped a bit of the rubber on the outside and can see metal bands.

I will dig a good trench though. Could i just dig down thread it up into the void under the decking and feed it through?

probably. if as you confirm it's armoured, conduit won't be necessary. I would suggest putting something the advse of the cable before you fill in the trench.
I have an armoured cable around the perimeter of my garden, feeding my neighbour's garage.

make sure you seal up the damaged sheath, or the armour will rust and the cable will fail.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So annoyed today, car related! cpikey316_ 18 3,054 28-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  Long Shot 'Wanted' or Better Idea..? (DPF related) Toms306 37 6,487 23-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Car related wedding vows bashbarnard 6 1,459 28-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Poodle