Benefits of gti6 brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits of gti6 brakes
Don't waste your money, just stick with decent quality normal discs.
Thanks given by:
If I were you I'd get some decent discs with decent pads, mintex 1188 or green stuff or something, I'm gonna get normal discs when these need changing, they're more for show then anything. The braided lines and 6 master cylinder make a difference though
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 04:03 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: If I were you I'd get some decent discs with decent pads, mintex 1188 or green stuff or something, I'm gonna get normal discs when these need changing, they're more for show then anything. The braided lines and 6 master cylinder make a difference though

I'll have to have a look what would you class as decent disks and what does the 6 master cylinder look like?
Thanks given by:
get some standard disks from euro, but pop some decent pads in, plenty of threads with recommendations on here already.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If you're getting discs from ECP, go for pagid over the eischer ones, they are made much better and helps with the bedding in process
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I just put some Delphi discs and pads on because they're decent plus damn good value.
Thanks given by:
Drilled and grooved discs are a waste of money and your pads on a standardish-power road car.

Drilling is for dissipating heat, and if you are overheating the brakes enough for drilled discs on the road you are driving like a cock.
Grooves are for skimming the top layer off of very hot brake pads to remove the near-molten, softened pad material from VERY hot brake pads, this reduces brake fade. Again, your brake pads should not be molten on the road.

The only advantage is that grooves can increase the initial bite. However, skimming the pads every rotation also increases pad wear.

To summarise, you will have 0.1% better brakes with drilled and grooved disks if you aren't braking hard constantly on track, for higher cost and shorter pad life. Gti6 brakes with good quality discs and pads are more than enough to lock the wheels. You would do better to have good quality brakes, and put the extra into better tyres for better stopping power.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 08:16 AM)RetroPug Wrote: Drilled and grooved discs are a waste of money and your pads on a standardish-power road car.

Drilling is for dissipating heat, and if you are overheating the brakes enough for drilled discs on the road you are driving like a cock.
Grooves are for skimming the top layer off of very hot brake pads to remove the near-molten, softened pad material from VERY hot brake pads, this reduces brake fade. Again, your brake pads should not be molten on the road.

The only advantage is that grooves can increase the initial bite. However, skimming the pads every rotation also increases pad wear.

To summarise, you will have 0.1% better brakes with drilled and grooved disks if you aren't braking hard constantly on track, for higher cost and shorter pad life. Gti6 brakes with good quality discs and pads are more than enough to lock the wheels. You would do better to have good quality brakes, and put the extra into better tyres for better stopping power.

Thanks for the summary, that's helped Smile I'll just get good quality standard disks and some green stuff pads when I need to replace them. I want to strip the calliper's and repaint them is there a guid on stripping the calliper's?
Thanks given by:
No worries. I've never used them, but others have had bad experiences with green stuff:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-25638.html

Not sure whether or not there is a guide but I have seen threads on it. Big Red (I think) do caliper rebuild kits at reasonable prices, think they can be found on ebay but not sure. Give it a google and have a search through on here.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 10:15 AM)RetroPug Wrote: No worries. I've never used them, but others have had bad experiences with green stuff:
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-25638.html

Not sure whether or not there is a guide but I have seen threads on it. Big Red (I think) do caliper rebuild kits at reasonable prices, think they can be found on ebay but not sure. Give it a google and have a search through on here.

Yeah I've just checked out Big Red, seem pretty reasonable Smile I'll have to do it when I don't need the car for a few days
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 02:21 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: They're 6 brakes ThumbsUp

Here's mine Smile

Stupid iphone! Angry

Arent those discs on the wrong side ?
Thanks given by:
For the disks and pads on general fast road/occasional track use, I'd recommend Pagid TBH. They're damn good value for what they are, basically very good quality OE spec.

Disks:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...b7e&000027

Pads:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...462&000036
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 07:20 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: For the disks and pads on general fast road/occasional track use, I'd recommend Pagid TBH. They're damn good value for what they are, basically very good quality OE spec.

Disks:

Pads:

Thanks man Smile I'll get them when they need replacing guessing the price of the disks are for 1? And pads are for a front set?
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 07:20 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: For the disks and pads on general fast road/occasional track use, I'd recommend Pagid TBH. They're damn good value for what they are, basically very good quality OE spec.

Disks:

Pads:

Second that. I used Pagid stuff for a while and was spot on!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2014, 09:29 PM)Niall Wrote:

Disks:

Pads:

Second that. I used Pagid stuff for a while and was spot on!

Yeah I'll go for them Smile really great price
Thanks given by:
Also use Pagid...mainly cos the discs look pretty. Makeup

But seriously, always seem to have issues with Eicher, either squealing or warping, but Pagid have been fine every time! Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah I bought eicher last time and they took a huge amount longer to bed in than other discs I've had.. will definitely be going pagid next time!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can get a set of Mintex discs and pads for all corners on ebay for not much. They're not 1144's but still seem to work good enough.

I'll try to find a link later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-306-GT...4cee41cabe
Thanks given by:
Get 4 pots.

/Thread
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 08:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Also use Pagid...mainly cos the discs look pretty. Makeup

But seriously, always seem to have issues with Eicher, either squealing or warping, but Pagid have been fine every time! Smile

Yeah I think my current discs are warped the front right rubs at a curtain point

(15-08-2014, 08:53 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Can get a set of Mintex discs and pads for all corners on ebay for not much. They're not 1144's but still seem to work good enough.

That seems like a pretty good deal I'll have to price up pagid for all corners and see what works out cheaper Smile

(15-08-2014, 09:44 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Get 4 pots.

/Thread

I'd love to! But don't think I'll need them for road/occasional track use
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2014, 09:52 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(15-08-2014, 08:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Also use Pagid...mainly cos the discs look pretty. Makeup

Yeah I think my current discs are warped the front right rubs at a curtain point

(15-08-2014, 08:53 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Can get a set of Mintex discs and pads for all corners on ebay for not much. They're not 1144's but still seem to work good enough.

That seems like a pretty good deal I'll have to price up pagid for all corners and see what works out cheaper Smile

(15-08-2014, 09:44 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Get 4 pots.

/Thread

I'd love to! But don't think I'll need them for road/occasional track use

Maybe slight overkill but no-one has ever died from having brakes that were too good..
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 02:21 PM)DazzaHDI Wrote: They're 6 brakes ThumbsUp

Here's mine Smile

Stupid iphone! Angry

Dazza looks like your discs are on the wrong side??
Thanks given by:
Lots of talk about upping the size of front brakes or putting gti6 brakes on but as anyone considered 406 hdi brakes? or am I missing something? They're the same size as gti6 up front but they appear a good bit bigger on the back. Are the 306's too light on the tail for the bigger rear bakes?
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2014, 09:11 PM)Will Wrote: Lots of talk about upping the size of front brakes or putting gti6 brakes on but as anyone considered 406 hdi brakes? or am I missing something? They're the same size as gti6 up front but they appear a good bit bigger on the back. Are the 306's too light on the tail for the bigger rear bakes?

IIRC Dum-Dum did this.

They benefit from a larger piston size in the front callipers from memory.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Apologies if I double over a topic, only new and trying my best not to :S do you know are the bigger back brakes suitable or do they over do it?
Thanks given by:
Never looked into it mate.

As long as the brakes physically fit, and the bias remains reasonably similar, then it will be fine.

If you are changing both the front and rear brakes, the bias should be fine.

Things to consider would be rear disc diameter (will they fit under the wheels once the callipers are over them(which I imagine they would)) and if the mountings are compatible.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Tbh it's probably overkill for anything less than a track weapon, my back end gets happy when braking heavily with standard rear brakes, as you say there just isn't the weight over the back in 306s.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you have a large budget, go for it, but decent pads and disks in standard brakes + the best tyres you can afford will stop you better than a big brake conversion and not so great tyres.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Tbh id just refresh the rear calipers and leave be. The rears don't really so much stopping at all (probably 20% overall max) but are more there to help keep the car in shape under heavy braking. It's the fronts which do the majority of the stopping!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Tyres.

Most people put huge brakes on then search and search for the cheapest tyres to put on. Complete lack of the understanding of grip and where to spend the money.

Well serviced brakes and decent tyres will out brake gti6 brakes wacked on for £50 and budget tyres!

Cant ever imagine you would need bigger rear calipers unless you have more weight in the back regualarly or mid engine/rear engine conversion, RWD or 4WD
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI180 vs GTI6 Brakes MY95 18 2,685 19-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Anton
  Gti6 brakes connorp 10 1,931 27-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Last Post: connorp
  GTI6 283mm Brakes Setup MY95 6 2,734 06-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Sambarker