Benefits of gti6 brakes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benefits of gti6 brakes
What's the benefit of gti6 brakes over dturbo brakes? And how can I tell if I already have gti6 ones just incase they have been upgraded?
Thanks given by:
They stop the car quicker. Lol
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2014, 08:19 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: They stop the car quicker. Lol

Fair point haha but will they give a better pedal feel?
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2014, 08:14 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: What's the benefit of gti6 brakes over dturbo brakes? And how can I tell if I already have gti6 ones just incase they have been upgraded?

In short; they have bigger pistons, and a larger master cylinder, so they are able to exert more braking force over the larger diameter disc they use. The larger diameter of the disc will in turn mean that they will dissipate heat more effectively, thus brake more efficiently for longer.

You will be able to tell if you have them already by the diameter of the discs, or the brand of the calliper.

Hope that helps Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2014, 08:21 PM)Grant Wrote:
(12-08-2014, 08:14 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: What's the benefit of gti6 brakes over dturbo brakes? And how can I tell if I already have gti6 ones just incase they have been upgraded?

In short; they have bigger pistons, and a larger master cylinder, so they are able to exert more braking force over the larger diameter disc they use. The larger diameter of the disc will in turn mean that they will dissipate heat more effectively, thus brake more efficiently for longer.

You will be able to tell if you have them already by the diameter of the discs, or the brand of the calliper.

Hope that helps Smile

That's great mate Smile going to be upping the power soon so thought I'd do the brakes as well, bit off topic but what sort of power will a tuned bosch pump, TD04 turbo and inter cooler give?
Thanks given by:
I pulled 177 Bhp and 247 lb ft on a tuned 9mm Bosch and top mount intercooler at 22psi

I had standard d turbo brakes on that, more power Dosent make you go any faster just gets to speed quicker

But it is advised to get gti6 brakes and I would recomend the gti6 master cylinder too to take the travel out the pedal and got instant braking as you you the pedal
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
247mm brakes look ridiculous behind cyclones, you'll be able to tell if you still have those or not. Tongue

GTi6 brakes will be much better than those, they couldn't even stop my 1.4! lol
Thanks given by:
Take a pic of your wheels, we'll be able to tell straight away.

This is cyclones with 247mm brakes (DTurbo ones)

[Image: KdVucp9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2014, 09:06 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Take a pic of your wheels, we'll be able to tell straight away.

This is cyclones with 247mm brakes (DTurbo ones)

[Image: KdVucp9.jpg]

These are mine Smile sorry if it's not great quality it's a bit dark out haha
Thanks given by:
There definitely bigger than standard hard to say what

Get a tape on the disk if there 266mm there hdi brakes
If there 283mm there gti6
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Look like GTi6 brakes to me.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
GTI calipers have a set of cooling fins on them that other calipers lack.
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2014, 09:51 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: There definitely bigger than standard hard to say what

Get a tape on the disk if there 266mm there hdi brakes
If there 283mm there gti6

Yeah they seem a bit bigger I'll have to measure them, if they are HDi brakes will they stand up to around 170bhp? They seem pretty powerful now but I'm not sure what they will be like at that power
Thanks given by:
Look like '6 brakes.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
GTi6 brakes -

[Image: IMAG3329_zps1e29fc89.jpg]

266mm HDi/XSi brakes -

[Image: ScrapStuffandBrakeChange024.jpg]

Yours look like GTi to me! Smile
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 08:32 AM)Toms306 Wrote: GTi6 brakes -

[Image: IMAG3329_zps1e29fc89.jpg]

266mm HDi/XSi brakes -

[Image: ScrapStuffandBrakeChange024.jpg]

Yours look like GTi to me! Smile

This is where I get my hopes up and find there just HDI haha they do look like 6 brakes though Confused
Thanks given by:
Even if they aren't '6 brakes, you can pick them up for £30-£60 these days.. Hardly end of the world.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 09:18 AM)silverzx Wrote: Even if they aren't '6 brakes, you can pick them up for £30-£60 these days.. Hardly end of the world.

True Smile give me an excuse to put dot 5 fluid in
Thanks given by:
Plus GTi brakes aren't much better than 266s anyway....its not worth the hassle, cost and extra insurance premium for fitting them imo. I've stuck with the 266s this time for those reasons.

Both are a massive improvement over the 247s that you get on slow cars (1.4s, XUDs etc Itwasntme )...surely you've noticed better stopping power from them than your 1.4? Smile
Thanks given by:
You say that Tom but all your cars have been sub 130hp.. so agree, it doesn't really warrant the upgrade. If you're going big turbo etc.. then GTi6 brakes are definitely worth it
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2014, 09:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Plus GTi brakes aren't much better than 266s anyway....its not worth the hassle, cost and extra insurance premium for fitting them imo. I've stuck with the 266s this time for those reasons.

Both are a massive improvement over the 247s that you get on slow cars (1.4s, XUDs etc Itwasntme )...surely you've noticed better stopping power from them than your 1.4? Smile

Definitely! First time I pushed the brake I almost went through the window haha, wasn't used to having powerful brakes

(13-08-2014, 09:38 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: You say that Tom but all your cars have been sub 130hp.. so agree, it doesn't really warrant the upgrade. If you're going big turbo etc.. then GTi6 brakes are definitely worth it

Yeah by doing what I wanna do it sounds like it will be around 170bhp so need all the stopping power I need
Thanks given by:
I've managed to set fire to 266's a couple of times, albeit that was hard driving down a mountain on one occasion.. But never had anything like that happen on the '6, the stopping power was incredible tbh
Thanks given by:
With your insurance, you really shouldn't be looking for 170bhp yet imo...obviously that's up to you though.

You are right Danny (though this ones about 135bhp iirc lol ) but I don't see why that makes a difference tbh, 70 is still 70 regardless of how quickly you get there. And even braking from 90 on the 283s wasn't noticeably better than the 266s, just gave more pedal travel and less sharpness, really wasn't impressed with them tbh! Though I haven't been impressed with any 306 brakes since the Golf, that only used 288s despite its extra weight but the brakes were awesome tbh, even the 180 map didn't make them seem worse so I don't agree with more power needing more brake...theres more to it than size, just buying decent pads would be a good start.
Thanks given by:
It's not an outright X power increase means bigger brakes by X, but on a twisty road you'll be reaching higher speeds faster and so you'll be braking harder
Thanks given by:
Tom, GTi6 brakes are far superior to 266's!

As for insurance it should bring the price down if you declare them. ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
They aren't and it doesn't. Tongue. Think it was 40 quid to declare them on mine!

I also don't understand why you're wasting brakes on corners....decent tyres and suspension and just keep the power on. Wink.
Thanks given by:
currently got 266 on the estate and there good for normal driving but as soon as I hit the back roads to work I can easily cook them / get crap pedal feel horrendous tbh but that is the heavier estate tho and I drive like a tit on my way to work (5am) gti calipers are ready to go on. if you plan on big turbo ect its a good upgrade especially with braided lines and decent pads
Thanks given by:
I think i have GTi6 brakes! they measure just over 283mm but thats probably because its going over the hub part. heres a few pics just so you guys can confirm for me Smile they seem pretty beefy
[attachment=18384]
[attachment=18385]
[attachment=18386]
[attachment=18387]
[attachment=18388]
[attachment=18389]
Thanks given by:
They're 6 brakes ThumbsUp

[attachment=18390]

Here's mine Smile

Stupid iphone! Angry
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]