Squealing from rear brakes when hot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squealing from rear brakes when hot
I have recently replaced the rear brake shoes on my 206 and have noticed a squeal every time I apply the brakes once the car has been driven for 20 minutes or so, the squeal gets worse the hotter they get. Could it possibly be hub nut not tight enough? Tightened it with a 12v clarke impact driver
Thanks given by:
Is it rear drums? Did you clean them all up using a wire brush before refitting? I doubt it's anything to do with the hub nut, but you should of torqued it up after putting it on with the impact driver.
Thanks given by:
As above, torque that hub nut up sharpish! Did you make sure both cylinders and handbrake mech were all free and working properly? If they're sticking at all it may have cooked the friction material, which can cause squealing. Also, if they're eicher shoes from euros or something similarly cheap and nasty then they can do that if not bedded in carefully.

Edit: also, try the braking section next time. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yep had the drums off 4 times cleaned and greased all parts, no leaks and put in new wheel cylinders along with the new shoes and springs. Some ars*e hole stole my torque wrench so ive been waiting on a new cheapo ebay one coming. They are bosch shoes
Thanks given by:
Use a bar or something then, no-one uses cone bearings any more so ft is fine. Just seen too many times when a windy gun has somehow left something much looser than what you'd expect.

Hmmm, odd, i'm pretty much out of ideas... Is the dust shield rubbing at all?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Moved to correct section Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Had a bar on them today and they wont budge so im confident they are tight enough. No rubbing on the back plate either. I have noticed that the brake shoes are wearing fast. I have tried winding adjusters back more on both sides and also noticed when I jack the back wheels up and I put the handbrake off the brake shoes are rubbing on the drum as if the auto adjusters have pushed the shoes out too much.

Thanks for the reply's guys
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasty vibration coming from the rear brakes johnny625 9 3,895 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: johnny625
  What Rear Brakes Do I Have cateraxe 7 2,174 07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Last Post: miles
  Rolling road - split driveshaft boot and binding rear brakes reduce power on graph? MY95 28 4,553 23-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Last Post: tigerstyle