Anyone ever had solid beam mounts come loose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever had solid beam mounts come loose?
Hi,

I fitted some phillipm rear beam mounts around April time, since then I have been to the ring, done a couple of track days and done a few miles on the road... I noticed a clunk from the rear the other day, so have jacked it up to investigate.

Strangely, both sides on the small beam mount have come loose - so much so there's a visible gap between the beam and the body.

Now, before you say it - yes they were torqued up and yes they were threadlocked.

I did wonder when I fitted them if they could potentially vibrate loose with no damping.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Never heard them coming loose heard of them snapping before
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Come loose from inside the mount? So the gap is crater by it loose on the mount side? Or can you see that the nuts have spun?
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
What threadlock did you use? Some threadlockers don't cure properly with ally.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Come loose from inside the mounts themselves!!!

I used Loctite red.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Mine are home made ones haven't had any issues with the 3 years they have been on. I haven't used locktite but have locking nuts on them though
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't have had any issues with red loctite on ally. Is this the upper two bolts that go through the floor? Not had any bits of debris drop in the bottom of the threads stopping the bolts seating all the way or anything like that? What did you torque them to?

edit: are you using the large OE spreader washers in the boot?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(18-07-2014, 01:12 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Shouldn't have had any issues with red loctite on ally. Is this the upper two bolts that go through the floor? Not had any bits of debris drop in the bottom of the threads stopping the bolts seating all the way or anything like that? What did you torque them to?

edit: are you using the large OE spreader washers in the boot?

It's not those ones mate, they are fine... it's the back ones, the small cylindrical mounts which have a bolt in the top and one in the bottom... both top ones have come loose and it allows the back of the beam to drop down.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Just check there's nothing dropped down into the threads when they were fitted, albeit unlikely on both - if not, try another/a thicker washer under the bolt head, it'll let the bolt stretch a little further and should rule out whether it's just vibration related.
Thanks given by:
That's exactly what I've done mate - will have to see if it comes loose again. I do wonder whether the bolt is ever so slightly too long and isn't nipping up fully as it's hitting inside / end of the mount itself. I've chopped a few mm off the end of the bolt and put it back together like that.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
It shouldn't be, they're the same size I always use, but see how it goes, maybe they've stretched a little, or I haven't left enough extra for difference in tolerances.
Can't say I've ever had 'em come loose before though - I have seen some people snap the welded ones but I think it's more down to them softening the studs when they burn the rubber out.
Thanks given by:
Definitely not snapped, as the one I'm talking about is a single piece with a threaded female hole to accept the bolt.
JP
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I mean the ones people weld up from old mounts.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear beam mounts recommendations Magenta Sunset 22 4,230 20-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Solid beam mounts rocker8742 29 4,991 22-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Last Post: luke306rallye
  Rear Beam Mounts? JTaylor2005 8 1,711 27-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Stef205