Engine swap questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine swap questions
Expect a few questions in the next week or so as its my first time doing any form of engine swap

First thing is I'm changing the clutch on the engine out of the car - which way does the friction plate go in? [Image: sezabaty.jpg]
Or
[Image: myvugequ.jpg]

Second is while I'm doing the swap i need the car to be moveable in and out of the workshop - what's the best way to do this?
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 06:46 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Expect a few questions in the next week or so as its my first time doing any form of engine swap

First thing is I'm changing the clutch on the engine out of the car - which way does the friction plate go in? [Image: sezabaty.jpg]
Or

Second is while I'm doing the swap i need the car to be moveable in and out of the workshop - what's the best way to do this?

Cant remember what way around the pressure plate goes but do not put the car back down on the wheels with no drive shafts as they basically hold the bearings together. Ive seen people do this before, push a car about and half the hub falls off with the wheel and brake lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
think its picture two for the clutch
as picture 1 looks close the the flywheel bolts Wink
Thanks given by:
Picture two. As a rule of thumb the larger pertrusion goes to gearbox side thus allowing more contact on the input shaft
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It should say which way it goes, something like g/box side or trans side, fwheel side
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It should say 'gearbox side' on it. But I'm pretty sure its the 2nd pic as well tbh.

Edit - Too slow lol
Thanks given by:
Went with the second pic in the end but didnt check for any markings so hopefully it's right

And I take it in that case I need to leave the shafts in the hub end and pop them out of the gearbox niall?
Thanks given by:
yep Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
i guess my engine crane is working ok then Wink
Thanks given by:
It's been a great use shifting the new engine about so far thanks Paul Smile load leveller would be useful though Tongue
Thanks given by:
When I needed to move my car around with the engine out I had some ends of drive shafts that I used to hold the bearings together. Poss be able to dig them out if you want to borrow them?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, chop the ends or dismantle the cv joint, leaves just the bit that holds the bearing together.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 10:45 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: It's been a great use shifting the new engine about so far thanks Paul Smile load leveller would be useful though Tongue

could always buy one as a thank you present Tongue

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produc...d-leveller
Thanks given by:
Anybody got any tips before I start this tomorrow? And thanks for the offer Matt ill see how I get on leaving the shafts in for the time being
Thanks given by:
take your time and mark stuff
bleed the air out the block by using the bottle in the rad method its easyer Wink
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 07:19 PM)Niall Wrote: ...do not put the car back down on the wheels with no drive shafts as they basically hold the bearings together. Ive seen people do this before, push a car about and half the hub falls off with the wheel and brake lol

Didn't realise this! Confused

I've done it more than once with breakers and never had wheels fall off lol. Will know for future though! lol

(03-07-2014, 10:45 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: It's been a great use shifting the new engine about so far thanks Paul Smile load leveller would be useful though Tongue

Load leveller? That's what a seat belt is for isn't it! Big Grin

As for tips, keep the area tidy, keep things in the order they were removed if possible then it's simply the reverse of removal. And theres no rush, take your time as cully says.
Thanks given by:
Use sealable clear plastic bag things and a marker pen and put little bits in them and write on the bags what they came off of.
If you're taking off 50+ little bits and 'remembering' what each bit was for and where you put it you'll not get everything in the right place, and you'll have an engine in and 8 bolts and a bracket left over wondering what is going to blow up 50m down the road.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
For those of you that have left the driveshafts in the hubs for an engine swap what's the best way to get them out of the box?

Also what's the best thing to do about the pas pump and pipe that runs under the engine?
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2014, 11:20 AM)rocker8742 Wrote: For those of you that have left the driveshafts in the hubs for an engine swap what's the best way to get them out of the box?

Also what's the best thing to do about the pas pump and pipe that runs under the engine?

Just pull them out. They aren't fixed in the box. Just sit in there.

Pas pipe, just remove it from the PAS pump and tuck it under the car so its out the way until you fit the new engine
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 07:19 PM)Niall Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:46 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: Expect a few questions in the next week or so as its my first time doing any form of engine swap

Or

Cant remember what way around the pressure plate goes but do not put the car back down on the wheels with no drive shafts as they basically hold the bearings together. Ive seen people do this before, push a car about and half the hub falls off with the wheel and brake lol

Picture 2 for definate, the clutch plate should tell you wich side too, before you fit it, remove the flywheel and give it a good clean and inspect it for any cracks, or distortion, also check it for heat damage, this takes the form of a bluish sheen, dont worry as the flywheel can be skimmed. with the flywheel off i would replace the crankshaft rear main oil seal too, as these do eventually leak as the miles creep up. Make sure that when you put it all back together you locktight the flywheel bolts and tourque them to the correct setting, if you have the cash get a new set of bolts from peugeot. Use a good clutch alignment tool as if you miss align it you will never get the box back in. Grease the gearbox input shaft with graphite grease, most people use copper grease but in my experience graphite is better. If its the GTI box make sure you have the clutch fork aligned with the release baring as it goes in. Hope this helps.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
If its the GTI box make sure you have the clutch fork aligned with the release baring as it goes in. Hope this helps.

Think I ballsed this part up today lol if its not lined up what am I likely to experience? Would the clutch arm not line up properly with the shaft?
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2014, 07:16 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: If its the GTI box make sure you have the clutch fork aligned with the release baring as it goes in. Hope this helps.

Think I ballsed this part up today lol if its not lined up what am I likely to experience? Would the clutch arm not line up properly with the shaft?

Because its a pull clutch, as you push the box on you need to twist the release arm behind the bearing. If you just fit it, the clutch pedal just wont do anything. It can be a bit of a bastard to do especially if your on your own to try and work the arm in place and get the input shaft in whilst wiggling the box on lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol yeah wasn't watching to see if that was aligned. Bugger
Thanks given by:
Lol, pull type clutches suck! Sam and I spent hours trying to get that bugger lined up. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
At least I'm doing this out of the car then lol
Thanks given by:
Once youve done it once its easy lol
Thanks given by:
Gearbox is sorted now, thanks lads

Next problem is the loom lol anyone tell me what these are for?

[Image: 2yqegaqy.jpg]

Both around the throttle body area, but can't find anything to plug them into, and I know neither of them are that silly spare map sensor plug
Thanks given by:
Figured the blue one goes to the PAS pipe at the front of the block, still don't know about the black one
Thanks given by:
(03-07-2014, 07:19 PM)Niall Wrote: Cant remember what way around the pressure plate goes but do not put the car back down on the wheels with no drive shafts as they basically hold the bearings together. Ive seen people do this before, push a car about and half the hub falls off with the wheel and brake lol

Not quite sure this is right Confused

Think you might be confused with the bearings on the driveshaft if you push the car around with the driveshafts in then the roller bearings from the driveshafts fall out if the shaft flexes too much in one direction. Ive pushed many 306's about with no shafts in and not had an issue.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its very inlikely to happen but I have seen it happen once on a rally puma, but the owner had pushed it round for months.

RE clutch: second one!!

RE clutch fork: to do it you really need to remove the pin between the arm and shaft, its dead easy then.

I would suggest you have some copper grease around and put a dab on the end of the threads of each bolt, makes life a lot easier down the line. Also as said, take your time.

Dont forget thos 11mm bolts holding the offside shaft bearing in too!

(Give that bearing a good clean too so in future you dont end up smashing the shaft out!)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.1 2.2 petrol engine questions. bashbarnard 6 1,852 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Last Post: PugLee
  Engine swap, gti6 into s16... much work? Matt-Rallye 23 6,373 12-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  phase 1 s16 phase 2 xsi engine swap jackcooks16 2 1,051 12-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Last Post: jackcooks16