The nanny state strikes again!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The nanny state strikes again!
I just read this on a BBC article from earlier today:

Quote:On Wednesday, Cabinet Minister Francis Maude's advice for drivers to store petrol - "maybe a little bit in the garage as well in a jerrycan" - was criticised by the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) and the AA, who said it was potentially dangerous.

A jerrycan has the capacity to hold 20 litres - more than the official limit for the amount that can be safely stored at home.

Roads minister Mike Penning later said Mr Maude's advice had been "a mistake by the cabinet minister. He didn't understand the size of a jerrycan. He has apologised since".

Since when was it the case that residents in this country are considered too careless and stupid to be able to store some fuel safely?

We understand the risks of fire, but that doesn't mean the Government and NGO's have to stick their noses in at every turn.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
ffs so what about the lpg tanks and heating oil tanks in peoples gardens

bunch of dicks!
Thanks given by:
I'm just going to fill the tanks on all the cars
Thanks given by:
I know i watched them say it. Also if you dont want people to panic buy why announce that it may be wise if you have the chance to store a little fuel. You know all the idiots go straight the the petrol station and start brimming tanks and what ever they can get there hands on.
Thanks given by:
Thats a bit silly
So what is the "safe" limit to store? Lol ive got more then 20l stored in the garage/shed
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Plus it could make you high! Who would want that?!
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
from the bbc website

How much fuel can legally be stored in a domestic garage?

The HSE gives the limit as a maximum of two suitable metal containers of 10 litres and two plastic containers of an approved design, each having a maximum capacity of five litres - this is little more than a third of an average tank. The Fire Brigades Union warned fuel should never be stored inside the home.
Thanks given by:
Its Law.

The most you can store is 2 plastic containers of 5l or 2 metal containers of 10l. and the containers must be of approved construction and have the right sort of lid.

The 20-25L jerry cans are not suitable as theyer too large and dont have the right sort of closing mechanism.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Its Law.

It can join the list of the UK's most ridiculous laws.

Up there with: "It's an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the monarch upside down."

Or my personal favourite: "In Scotland, if someone knocks and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter."
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:

The most you can store is 2 plastic containers of 5l or 2 metal containers of 10l. and the containers must be of approved construction and have the right sort of lid.

The 20-25L jerry cans are not suitable as theyer too large and dont have the right sort of closing mechanism.

I would love you to find a farm that actually follows this lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:

It can join the list of the UK's most ridiculous laws.

Up there with: "It's an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the monarch upside down."

Or my personal favourite: "In Scotland, if someone knocks and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter."

Lmfao some are stupid
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I can understand it. I'm sure we all know what happens to cans of fuel when left in the sun? Well some people won't know that they can expand. Can potentially be danderous. Don't forget we're in a state now where everything is everybody else's fault and there always has to be someone to get in trouble!

Personally I don't see why people are panic buying fuel. They have to give a minimum of 7 days notice for the strikes and they now don't even think it will go ahead. People just seem to be so stupid and get brainwashed by the media!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Personally I don't see why people are panic buying fuel. They have to give a minimum of 7 days notice for the strikes and they now don't even think it will go ahead. People just seem to be so stupid and get brainwashed by the media!

Answered your own question there, lol but I do agree that its just bloody stupid!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Personally I don't see why people are panic buying fuel. They have to give a minimum of 7 days notice for the strikes and they now don't even think it will go ahead. People just seem to be so stupid and get brainwashed by the media!

Answered your own question there, lol but I do agree that its just bloody stupid!

But then this leaves my original post with a dilemma..

Are the Government wrong for treating us like idiots. Or are they justified because some people act like idiots?
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:But then this leaves my original post with a dilemma..

Are the Government wrong for treating us like idiots. Or are they justified because some people act like idiots?

People only act like idiots because they are treated so and not allowed to think for themselves, the less you allow people to apply common sense the less they are inclined to use it in the first place, I seriously think that its getting worse and worse too!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
It would of happened any way if the govenment had said nothing! The general public are morons!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
IIRC theres no power for the police or anyone to enter your house to see if your illegally storing 500l of petrol in your bath while sitting having a fag on the khazie so as long as you dont get raided for any other reason (or your house burn down because of it) then theres not really gonna be any issue.

Only issue is if your house does burn down because you had too much petrol stored then you may well find yourself uninsured.
Thanks given by:
Tbh I can't see how people can get so stupid. They haven't even announced a strike and already all the local stations are cueing up the road. I really do think the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to these sort of situations. I know the BBC were saying on the news that there WILL be a shortage. Can't imagine what they said in the sun. Probably something along the lines of "stockpile fuel or else death is imminent to you!"
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Tbh I can't see how people can get so stupid. They haven't even announced a strike and already all the local stations are cueing up the road. I really do think the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to these sort of situations. I know the BBC were saying on the news that there WILL be a shortage. Can't imagine what they said in the sun. Probably something along the lines of "stockpile fuel or else death is imminent to you!"

They have managed to surpass themselves with this double whammy: http://bit.ly/HnaxxF

David Cameron being branded a pie plonker in the same article as a fuel strike discussion. Pure Sun.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Dave is proving himself to be a bit of a twat at the moment, If your gonna bullshit either make it plausable or untraceable.
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:
Niall Wrote:Tbh I can't see how people can get so stupid. They haven't even announced a strike and already all the local stations are cueing up the road. I really do think the media have a lot to answer for when it comes to these sort of situations. I know the BBC were saying on the news that there WILL be a shortage. Can't imagine what they said in the sun. Probably something along the lines of "stockpile fuel or else death is imminent to you!"

They have managed to surpass themselves with this double whammy: http://bit.ly/HnaxxF

David Cameron being branded a pie plonker in the same article as a fuel strike discussion. Pure Sun.

wtf?! to completly un related stories in one!

The print shit like this then say "it was the sun that won it" when the conservitives were elected!
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Dave is proving himself to be a bit of a lady garden at the moment, If your gonna bullshit either make it plausable or untraceable.

Fail to see how this is Cameron's fault? He's been saying all along not to panic buy as they haven't even announced a strike yet
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just took me half hour to get some diesel. My morrisons is absolutely packed. Only needed a Tenner diesel.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is taking the piss I need petrol but everytime I go all the stations are closed :/ wtf
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Most are till later on tonight as theyve actually run out over this. There isn't even going to be a strike.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The government are laughing, they've made so much money in taxes over the last few days.
Thanks given by:
thms182 Wrote:The government are laughing, they've made so much money in taxes over the last few days.
This!

Pretty damn ridiculous tbh. People are filling up their cars and filling jerry cans, adding weight to their car and making it require more fuel to do their regular journeys, not to mention wasting fuel sat in queues to buy more lol
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:
thms182 Wrote:The government are laughing, they've made so much money in taxes over the last few days.
This!

Pretty damn ridiculous tbh. People are filling up their cars and filling jerry cans, adding weight to their car and making it require more fuel to do their regular journeys, not to mention wasting fuel sat in queues to buy more lol

And it sucks for us level headed people that actually need fuel.
There's been constant queues up my local Tescos all day, but down the road (literally a 5 second drive) there are two dealerships wish filling stations with no one using them. The dealerships fuel was only around 2p per liter more. I'd rather pay more, and not have to queue for 20 minutes wasting fuel.

/first forum rant.
Thanks given by:
Whereas i've just got a garage full of veg. lol

Too many people are selfish morons for it to happen any other way. Selfish morons in the govt, media, pubs and the house next door all trying to make sure they get what they want before you do and in doing so deprive everyone of it. :roll:
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Agreed poodle. You will probably find most of the people who went out to get fuel are probably people who rarely use their cars or drive their little brats to school because they couldn't possibly walk 5 minutes!

Think the most selfish people though are the tanker drivers. They get 45k a year, do 11 hours or less driving a day, in line with the law and we are one of the most health and safety mad countries around. Where's the problem?
Just like these teachers who are moaning because retirement age is going up by 3 years....not happy because it's not all on a silver plate. Starting to think more and more that these unions are a load of rubbish!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dreaded Pothole Strikes Again..... bodp553 9 2,006 18-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: bodp553
  Can anyone state my problem here reckord 33 4,309 02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Grant
  Fuel Strikes Moonstone2.0 61 10,892 27-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Dave