Anyone fitted top mounts to shocks&springs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fitted top mounts to shocks&springs?
Has one anyone fitted some compbrakes or baker top mounts to the likes of bilstein or koni shocks and springs?

Im looking for some sort of top hat to sit between the spring and top mount and not having much luck!

Any help would be appreciated Smile

Thanks
Thanks given by:
I dont think any one does a top hat for springs and shocks hence why they are only used with coilovers

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
You would have thought someone must be running a similar set up, specially on the 6 owners as there religious for shocks&springs
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2014, 06:57 AM)Jaymes306 Wrote: You would have thought someone must be running a similar set up, specially on the 6 owners as there religious for shocks&springs

The standard side dampers and springs are a lot wider than coil overs. This will cause them to foul the inner arch/suspension turret if you apply any camber to them. Hence, as pug love correctly says, you can only run Camber Adjustable Topmounts with coil overs.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
so evan set to standard camber they still wouldnt work if i conjured a way to mate them with the spring top plate?
Thanks given by:
Any point in them if your just going to set them to standard?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2014, 07:48 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Any point in them if your just going to set them to standard?

The point would be that OE top mounts are wank...... so it would still be an upgrade.

I guess it wouldnt foul the turret sides it you were just running standerd camber

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
/\ above is correct, I have them atm on my coilovers, However im removing them to fit some b8's so i thought why use the crummy standard top mounts when i have my compbrakes still ^,^
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2014, 08:54 AM)puglove Wrote:
(29-05-2014, 07:48 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Any point in them if your just going to set them to standard?

The point would be that OE top mounts are wank...... so it would still be an upgrade.

I guess it wouldnt foul the turret sides it you were just running standerd camber

(08-06-2014, 08:28 PM)Jaymes306 Wrote: /\ above is correct, I have them atm on my coilovers, However im removing them to fit some b8's so i thought why use the crummy standard top mounts when i have my compbrakes still ^,^

True, the shocks would not foul in that case, but you would not be able to get the top of the spring to seat against anything.

The camber adjustable/eccentric top mounts rely on the spring reducing to a surface diameter of about 15mm through the use of a conical spring top washer. Something you would have to have machined up bespoke, as I do not know of anyone who makes them, for the reason that there is no point.

Just buy some SKF top mount bearings. They should last just fine.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilovers/Springs/Shocks Esmyth124 6 2,404 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Gti6/VTS Front Shocks/Springs MY95 14 3,015 05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Toms306