Rear nearside knocking, what is it ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear nearside knocking, what is it ?
Basically over bumps or when braking and going down through the gears, but only on the rear nearside corner. The car had a new MoT before I bought it a couple of weeks ago and had no advisories so it can't be TOO serious can it ?

Handles, starts and stops beautifully aside from that. Bought cheaply as a commuter hack so I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on it, if it lasts me 12 months I'll be happy.
Thanks given by:
Could be the trailing arm, or the beam front bush.

Just because it's got an MOT cert I wouldn't say it's safe.

Jack up the side, put on a stand under and put your hands on the 12 and 6 O'clock position then try moving the wheel up and down. Then try it at the 9 and 3 O'clock position and move the wheel in and out. If there is any movement you should be able to see where it's coming from
Thanks given by:
Is that not something that they would have spotted at the MoT ? It was tested just before I bought it and I can't imagine it has deteriorated that suddenly.
Thanks given by:
I don't trust any MOT that comes on a car just before it's sold.

It should be checked.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough. Will get it looked at ASAP.
Thanks given by:
Where about are you based?
Thanks given by:
I live in Warminster but work in Weymouth - so south west.
Thanks given by:
Beam bushes for certain I think
Thanks given by:
They cheap and easy to fix for someone more used to Minis ?
Thanks given by:
I have this issue! I more concerned as the seller made out it has just had a refurbished gti beam fitted! Mine only bangs over certain bumps! But if I rock the car and grab the wheel at the same time you can feel a fairly vigorous knock!

Have had suspicion on beam bushes or trailing arm bearings! As originally thought it was wheel bearing but the wheel, bearing, stub axle etc has zero play in it!
Thanks given by:
It's worth getting under the carpet in the boot and tightening up the rear beam mount bolts.

If it's still there then new mounts is the only way. Not too hard to do
Thanks given by:
Thanks gilesy, I'll have a look at it over the weekend if I can catch a break in the weather.
Thanks given by:
Well I've made the most of some sunshine to get out and check the mounting nuts, and while I haven't got a deep 16mm socket to check the rear nut, all 4 front nuts are torqued up as per the Haynes manual.

Any more cheap/DIY ideas before I cave in and call in a professional ?
Thanks given by:
Do the bushes at the front of the axle look like this?

[Image: DSCN8759_zpsd21d0d0e.jpg]

If so they will need replacing.

Can you see on the photo that the rubber is split and the darker bit where it's been rubbing.

They are pretty easy to change.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Side Rear Knocking (video included) Tom85 4 1,179 04-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Tom85
  Rear beam knocking hotrodjacko 13 3,000 27-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Matt
  Rear Suspension fettled - still a knocking noise! (ZX) beko1987 4 1,428 17-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Last Post: beko1987