Rear beam knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear beam knocking
Afternoon!

I've got a knock from the rear beam that happens under braking as well as hitting larger bumps in the road. I need to get it up on the ramp at work to have a look properly, but was wondering if there is anything common on the rear beams that makes them knock? Bearings?

Cheers all
Ross
Thanks given by:
Yes bearings are common! Especially as all the cars are at least 12 years old by now!
Thanks given by:
knocking is typically front beam mounting bushes, not the bearings.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Beam mounts would be my guess. If you plan an keeping the car for a good while then its worth getting the beam refurbed.
Thanks given by:
Yup! All of the above!
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2015, 12:54 PM)hotrodjacko Wrote: Afternoon!

I've got a knock from the rear beam that happens under braking as well as hitting larger bumps in the road. I need to get it up on the ramp at work to have a look properly, but was wondering if there is anything common on the rear beams that makes them knock? Bearings?

Cheers all
Ross

I've  had this, its not the arm it is 100% one of the 4 mounting, replace all 4 and your good to go.
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Thanks guys!

Had her up on the ramp yesterday, the bushes don't look too bad but looking at it all its almost certainly the noise I'm hearing so I'll change them out. What's it like as a job?

I would have the axle off and rebuild it but Curt did it not long before I bought the car from him
Thanks given by:
I believe Cully is the man for a guide, but its in his project thread. You can do it on axle stands and a jack to keep the weight of the beam up, all the brake lines were attached still too Big Grin I'm sorry i can't find you the thread, I'm rushing about for work but a quick search should help you out Smile

If i get a bit of spare time at work il have a dig about for you, failing that...i bet someone will drop it in here for you soon Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 05:56 AM)hotrodjacko Wrote: Thanks guys!

Had her up on the ramp yesterday, the bushes don't look too bad but looking at it all its almost certainly the noise I'm hearing so I'll change them out. What's it like as a job?

I would have the axle off and rebuild it but Curt did it not long before I bought the car from him

there easy to do, and do 1 side at a timeSmile  1-2 hours and your be done,  and when the buses are gone bad its hard to get them to made a noise when the car is in the air Smile
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
I'm gonna be doing these next Sunday hopefully!

Any part makes to avoid? Obviously I'd love to save money but don't wanna have to do it again any time soon. I can get the front ones Lemforder for £36 and rears for £9, or cheapy ones for half that from Euro's with works discount...
Thanks given by:
Lemforder will suffice, I wouldn't go cheaper, they have been known to fail.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Right guys, swapped the bushes out after work on Saturday, not too bad of a job at all! Took me about an hour and a quarter all said and done. Man what a difference it makes, lovely to drive now. Thanks for your help!
Thanks given by:
Hi mate,

Any tips for changing the front mounts? Did you do one side at a time? I can't find this guide by cully mentioned - tried looking in some of his project threads!

Thanks,
Tom
Thanks given by:
Brute force and ignorance!

Just FYI op, I don't think the beam was rebuilt, pretty much everything else was though haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 15,333 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,397 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,511 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK