intercooler

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
intercooler
If you get the right turbo for the job in the first place there should be no need for an intercooler at all in theory. Your not stretching the turbo to produce heat. Just so happens we all use petrol turbos and push them to 2 bar so they heat like mad. So we just bang up the boost even more to compensate. There is no right or wrong here because one turbo will be on boost and fill fmic piping way before another and one turbo will boil way before another.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I suppose the thing is cost though. If done right, the FMIC can be done quite cheap to help temps instead of a turbo inside its efficiency range at these kind of boost levels. Though depends if your good at ebaying and finding cheap turbos Tongue
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Pfft whats all this intercooler rubbish .... What about charge cooling ...

ninja *runs away*
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
Matty Wrote:I suppose the thing is cost though. If done right, the FMIC can be done quite cheap to help temps instead of a turbo inside its efficiency range at these kind of boost levels. Though depends if your good at ebaying and finding cheap turbos Tongue

Free FMIC in exchange for some work and TD04 for £34 Big Grin only thing I really spent anything on was the pipework to join it all together lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:If you get the right turbo for the job in the first place there should be no need for an intercooler at all in theory. Your not stretching the turbo to produce heat. Just so happens we all use petrol turbos and push them to 2 bar so they heat like mad. So we just bang up the boost even more to compensate. There is no right or wrong here because one turbo will be on boost and fill fmic piping way before another and one turbo will boil way before another.

How would that work? Surely all turbo's are squeezing the air, making it hotter, regardless of how big they are? One thing I did notice though, is that the IC and turbo really seem to restrict VERY low down power/torque! When I drove my car with no intake pipes (just EGR and mani) it pulled much better up hill at idle...and it sounded epic lol!!

Oh and on another note......SMICs FTW. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:How would that work? Surely all turbo's are squeezing the air, making it hotter, regardless of how big they are?

Yes but if you spend money on decent turbo that is well within it's efficiency range then it will produce far less heat than say a TD04 at 35ish PSI which might be slightly out of its efficiency range whistle

And your "side mount I/C" is still at the front! be pretty pointless if it was actually on the side, like mounted to the door and it would look daft Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Matty Wrote:rofl.

Well I'm not sure what I can do to help, because I have not encountered the problem majorly.

Well I guess if you suffer from bad charge temps...the answers are obvious aren't they really. FMIC/Meths.
"intense boost" ... confused?

What psi are you yet atm?

my whole build is a low end build at the moment; any extension of any boost hoses will only result in slight lag. im running 18 at the moment... going to have a fiddle with the turbo over the summer as i've got more fuel to give..

Confusedhock:

18psi is 'intense' boost?! lmao

You don't know what heat soak is until you experience a k14 on 37psi+ ..proper hairdryer

Experience being the key word, i.e. Not being funny, but maybe stop regurgitating shite you may have heard from other people who may have heard..who may have heard..? Tongue

Tmic is decent, if you keep boost sensible. Doesn't matter which turdo you have, aslong as its working within it's reasonable efficiency island.. Fmic is surely better, with its increased airflow and increased volume potential..

Want to experiment, then log the charge temps for both after a gd rag. Only proper way to conclusively and accurately know.

My opinion is that water injection on a tmic would be more than adequate, for me, temp logs i've seen support my theory.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:How would that work? Surely all turbo's are squeezing the air, making it hotter, regardless of how big they are?

Yes but if you spend money on decent turbo that is well within it's efficiency range then it will produce far less heat than say a TD04 at 35ish PSI which might be slightly out of its efficiency range whistle

And your "side mount I/C" is still at the front! be pretty pointless if it was actually on the side, like mounted to the door and it would look daft Tongue

This is EXACTLY what I've tried explaining to people lol!! I've got a larger SMIC instead of FMIC and most people are like 'thats pointless get an FMIC' :roll: I'll bet I can still make over 180bhp on it. Wink

I still don't get the turbo thing though, OK it'll produce LESS heat, but surely still hotter than ambient temp so you'd still want an IC, albeit a smaller one. :think:
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:

Bingo!

However, the words 'spend money' and 306 don't often go together on here, do they? Tongue

Thanks given by:
^^ lol, see my previous post about my setup Big Grin

Toms306 Wrote:This is EXACTLY what I've tried explaining to people lol!! I've got a larger SMIC instead of FMIC and most people are like 'thats pointless get an FMIC' :roll: I'll bet I can still make over 180bhp on it. Wink

I still don't get the turbo thing though, OK it'll produce LESS heat, but surely still hotter than ambient temp so you'd still want an IC, albeit a smaller one. :think:

Its still at the front and its still in the air flow, it should work perfectly fine IMO,

Turbo's don't really make much heat until they get out of their efficiency range and then it ramps up fairly quickly! the HDi doesn't have any I/C as standard remember as the turbo is well within range!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I like turbos
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:I like turbos

Still on spamming form I see Phill Tongue
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Haha i thought id just lighten the mood a bit
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Free FMIC in exchange for some work and TD04 for £34 Big Grin only thing I really spent anything on was the pipework to join it all together lol

Now that is awesome! Yea, they can be done fairly cheaply which is pretty cool for lower temps I suppose! Big Grin
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ lol, see my previous post about my setup Big Grin

Yeah it can be done very well for amazingly little money as you've proved. I gone +1 better for not much more, project thread soon ninja <-- fkin love this ninja!

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Turbo's don't really make much heat until they get out of their efficiency range and then it ramps up fairly quickly! the HDi doesn't have any I/C as standard remember as the turbo is well within range!

I thought the lack of IC was what made the HDi shit lol.......I mean, 2 litres and only 90bhp!? :o Or is it just a rubbish map as standard?
Thanks given by:
You scare me Tom.

:think:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:Turbo's don't really make much heat until they get out of their efficiency range and then it ramps up fairly quickly! the HDi doesn't have any I/C as standard remember as the turbo is well within range!

I thought the lack of IC was what made the HDi shit lol.......I mean, 2 litres and only 90bhp!? :o Or is it just a rubbish map as standard?

It's a reliable map that will allow the engine to go on for 250,000 miles. lol
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
silverzx Wrote:It's a reliable map that will allow the engine to go on for 250,000 miles. lol

Pfft...reliable but boring.....Peugeot only warrantied them for 30k or something anyway lol, why bother with 250k. :think:

I know its partly to do with emmisions too, and the turbo is pretty small so its not laggy and is good for town driving (but who buys a DERV to drive round town anyway!?) but still, 90bhp from a 2 litre engine is damn poor imo!
Thanks given by:
Erm, I notice the heatsoak on standard boost, so dread to think what it'd be like on 30psi. That said, it's perfectly possible my car has a problem that i don't yet know about, which just so happens to result in diminishing power as engine temp goes up... :roll:
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:Erm, I notice the heatsoak on standard boost, so dread to think what it'd be like on 30psi. That said, it's perfectly possible my car has a problem that i don't yet know about, which just so happens to result in diminishing power as engine temp goes up... :roll:

Well unlucky for you. :roll:
Thanks given by:
wish i never started this lol just took me ages to read it Smile quite funny towards the end lol
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
silverzx Wrote:It's a reliable map that will allow the engine to go on for 250,000 miles. lol

Pfft...reliable but boring.....Peugeot only warrantied them for 30k or something anyway lol, why bother with 250k. :think:

I know its partly to do with emmisions too, and the turbo is pretty small so its not laggy and is good for town driving (but who buys a DERV to drive round town anyway!?) but still, 90bhp from a 2 litre engine is damn poor imo!

TBH 90bhp from a 2 litre engine isn't that bad, look at the Americans and their 4 & 5 litre V8 engines making 200bhp lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Pfft...reliable but boring.....Peugeot only warrantied them for 30k or something anyway lol, why bother with 250k. :think:

TBH 90bhp from a 2 litre engine isn't that bad, look at the Americans and their 4 & 5 litre V8 engines making 200bhp lmao

True but that's partly due to their rubbish cheap petrol lol.......plus I don't think Peugeot is American! :think:

Also look at vag diesels from the same time.....150 from a 1.9 engine for example....still meets emmisions regs and does better mpg too! And even they look crap by todays standards.......like the new ford ecoboosts - 125bhp and 56mpg from a 1.6 petrol! :o
Thanks given by:
Yeah but tom, Vag engines don't sound like these big American engines!

Oh and look at the new ds4-r engine. 1.6 turbo petrol. 260bhp and still almost 40mpg! Want one!!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:Yeah but tom, VAGaygay engines don't sound like these big American engines!

Oh and look at the new ds4-r engine. 1.6 turbo petrol. 260bhp and still almost 40mpg! Want one!!!

Comparing pd to hdi lol, not to a nice v8 !

But I totally agree with the second part, engine technology is moving real quick now. Smile
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:True but that's partly due to their rubbish cheap petrol lol.

[Image: lolwut.gif]
Thanks given by:
Matty Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:True but that's partly due to their rubbish cheap petrol lol.

[Image: lolwut.gif]

Petrol over there is much lower octanw than ours, so compression ratios have to he lower to avoid pre igniton. Also, they don't care about mpg because fuel is so cheap anyway...hence massive engines with little power.
Thanks given by:
While that's a knock down to there progress, it clearly isn't a huge leapfall, as they have produced high horsepower car's.
Lower compression ratio is not like a guaranteed, you won't make high power thing O_O
Thanks given by:
lol :roll:

Thanks given by: