• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coilovers
hey all i got some coilovers thanks to td_dan Smile
I have got them fitted thay sit nice but i want lower can anyone help me
Is there anyway of getting them lower as thay are to the max drop
Thanks Smile
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
No.

Edit: Actually you could let the tyres down
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:No.

Shorter springs
Shorter helper prings
Cut bumpstops down
Shorter top mounts
Raise suspension turrets

In that order, imo. Although the cheapest (free) and quickest way to do it would be to remove the helper spring, the smaller very soft spring which is under the main spring. If you remove that you will probably be able to lower it another 4/5cm. Only thing to watch then is that the spring seats properly at the top and bottom when you lower the car back down after being jacked up.

*Awaits the suspension police telling me how catastrophical this will be and lead to almost certain death*
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:
Connor Wrote:No.

Shorter springs
Shorter helper prings
Cut bumpstops down
Shorter top mounts
Raise suspension turrets

In that order, imo. Although the cheapest (free) and quickest way to do it would be to remove the helper spring, the smaller very soft spring which is under the main spring. If you remove that you will probably be able to lower it another 4/5cm. Only thing to watch then is that the spring seats properly at the top and bottom when you lower the car back down after being jacked up.

*Awaits the suspension police telling me how catastrophical this will be and lead to almost certain death*

I'm not picking at what your saying Dan but IIRC these are the TA technix coilovers which when set on the lowest setting like mine, with the helper in place only have about 30mm between the shock body and bump stop when the car is on the ground, removing the helper will render the car permanently on the bump stops, the only real option with them is to raise the turret up or get smaller top mounts IMO as running on the bump stops really isn't the best plan.

Also Dan, if you remove the helper and the shock extends the spring will unseat, thats why its there!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:I'm not picking at what your saying Dan but IIRC these are the TA technix coilovers which when set on the lowest setting like mine, with the helper in place only have about 30mm between the shock body and bump stop when the car is on the ground, removing the helper will render the car permanently on the bump stops, the only real option with them is to raise the turret up or get smaller top mounts IMO as running on the bump stops really isn't the best plan.

Also Dan, if you remove the helper and the shock extends the spring will unseat, thats why its there!

Wow, didnt expect mark of all people to join in the suspension policing lol whistle

And fair point, iv never looked at the 306 ones, I know mine still has about 50mm to the bumpstops and they are at the lowest with helpers. and I know thats the main problem when removing helpers, but sooooo many people do it, and you never hear of any problems, like I say you juust have to check the spring is re-seated properly whenever you lower the car.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Wow, didnt expect mark of all people to join in the suspension policing lol whistle

And fair point, iv never looked at the 306 ones, I know mine still has about 50mm to the bumpstops and they are at the lowest with helpers. and I know thats the main problem when removing helpers, but sooooo many people do it, and you never hear of any problems, like I say you juust have to check the spring is re-seated properly whenever you lower the car.

I'm not policing you cheeky shite! Tongue I'm on cheap coilies on the ground! I'm in the same boat as you are Big Grin

Yeah there isn't much scope for lower than they go as standard on the 306 ones without modifying stuff like top mounts and turrets because as I say, if you remove the helper it will be literally sat on the stops which won't do anything any good. As for the whole spring unseating thing, its much the same as cut springs, You shouldn't do it, and I wouldn't do it but many people do and don't have problems.
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
It's a case of 99% of the time you will get away with it. The 1% you don't, it could be catastrophic.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:It's a case of 99% of the time you will get away with it. The 1% you don't, it could be catastrophic.

Very true. Just depends on the type of person you are lol Similar logic can be applied to many situations in life that we all do on a daily basis Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but I've seen plenty of springs come clean off from not having enough preload, taking the shock and usually a good chunk of steel with them.

So imagine what they're like not just without preload, but actively bouncing and rattling around on the struts....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
More to the point though...

You have TA coilies adjusted right down.....

WHY on earth would you need it to be lower heh? These things lower like mad!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Now this might sound like a right novice question, as I have no intrest in handling/braking at all, but would upgrading to stiffer suspension make your brakes better? as you've got better weight distribution under braking... recently have considered changing my tosion bars and ARB's over, and putting some stiffer springs I have on...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not particularly, might give a touch more weight over the back but then the fronts lock first anyway.
Thanks given by:
I want my tire in the arce thats why i want it lower which is the safe one to do get shorter springs ?
Is taking the helper spring out deadly ?
Thanks for all the comments and help Smile
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
Thanks given by:
Only way to do it properly, will be to get shorter dampers and adjustable drop links
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Stu what where you originally lowered with, springs?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
i was 70mm dec
shorter dampers ? cant i get shroter springs for them ?
Thanks given by:
Ive been told that 205 coilovers fit and are shorter.......

If your brave you could have the lower spring mount welded to the shock body so its sitting on the drop link mount.

As mark has said though, theres f*ck all travel when theyer all the way down anyway so unless you like living on the bump stops then dont bother.

Also isnt your car missing the engine. Im sure that extra weight will help pull it down a little bit.
Thanks given by:
No its all done now its going for its mot tomorrow Smile
A dont know if i could live with been on bumper stops
Thanks given by:
IMO id speak to raceland / ta tecknics and ask about the height of the 205 coilovers
Thanks given by:
Wanna sell them cheap Stu? whistle

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Sold already dude sold to my mate whos car i lowerd yesterday
Thanks given by:
To go more lower take off the helper spring
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:
No worries buddy Smile

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Seid' Wrote:To go more lower take off the helper spring

But as said already in this thread mate, if you take out the helper spring then you risk the spring unseating when the shock extends and doing this would also render the car with no suspension travel at all as the body isn't short enough to go any lower ...
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
So mark am i just best of living with how low it is then ?
Thanks given by:
studturbo Wrote:So mark am i just best of living with how low it is then ?

That or as me and Dan were saying you could lift the top mount up or find a way of making the top mount smaller so the shock sits higher but both of these would be a right faff to do properly. The only easy way to do it is to get shorter shocks, 205 ones are worth investigating because as dumdum says they are supposedly shorter than the 306 ones but otherwise the same but you would have to check that as I'm not sure sure as I havent looked into it myself Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
If you get rid of the coilies Stu I dib them!

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Now I'm not being the coilover police, but aren't there more issues with going lower, such as the fact the wishbones are past the point at which they're parallel with the ground, which means you get wierd geometry changes as the car loads up into corners?

Also doesn't the wishbones being past parallel put loads of strain on the driveshafts, meaning they can pop out?

I'm more thinking out loud here; I'm sure I read something along these lines somewhere..?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I think that's true ed haha. I really need to change all of mine!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, i was under the impression the lower you get the more strain you'll be putting on your running gear, plus it'll mess with your geometry more severely once you get past the ~50mm mark (iirc). Depends what your going for, tbf i assume you're going purely for looks since 70mm is already too low to handle particularly well, especially on something like ta's lol, so i imagine you can find a way of going lower without making it impossible to drive.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: