Tom's China HDi DTurbo 2014

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's China HDi DTurbo 2014
I reckon if I badger him enough, eventually he'll sell them to me just to stop me from asking! ninja lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:07 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: How much for the angels then Tom? Big Grin

Ive got a set of angel eyes here you can have for very cheap. They need a bit of repair. One of the rings has come off inside the light but the lens is already off so its just a case of fixing it back together and giving them a good clean up.

Tom your certainly cracking on with this! Whats the plan? Sell the 1.8 and break the moonstone then use that money to fix this one up?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Are they the abm angels though Niall? I doubt it. Tongue lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bloody maniac, you are keen as hell! This is going to be one sound car when your done, not that it wasnt anyway!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:53 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Are they the abm angels though Niall? I doubt it. Tongue lol

Couldn't care less. All angels look shite lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:12 PM)C2K Wrote: No I didn't blank the egr, it was driven hard and on long journeys which clearly agreed with the operating principles Big Grin

Don't remember disturbing the top end and never noticed any bolts missing lol, how odd!

Ah fair enough, might blank it anyway tbh, still have a blank from the Vec if it fits, will see anyway!

(20-03-2014, 10:19 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(20-03-2014, 10:07 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: How much for the angels then Tom? Big Grin

Theyll never be for sale Tongue

Tom ive got a FMIC if you want to fit that!

Lol, would have to be a good price to get me to sell I'm afraid, and only on the basis that if the buyer decides to sell I get first dibs. Tongue

Nah not gonna bother with FMIC. My insurance is £340 with stage 1, so not gonna go S2...plus forgot how little space there is in the HDi bay!!

(20-03-2014, 10:56 PM)Tom Wrote: Bloody maniac, you are keen as hell! This is going to be one sound car when your done, not that it wasnt anyway!

Well that's the idea, don't wanna be doing anything to it after the end of the month. Smile

(20-03-2014, 10:59 PM)Niall Wrote: Couldn't care less. All angels look shite lol

I agree usually, expect these ones! The awful chrome rings or 3 LED indicators look shite...thankfully these have neither. They're also rarer than your blue masks, only seen one other set! Tongue I do agree they're not photogenic though, but then neither are masks tbh lol.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:59 PM)Niall Wrote:
(20-03-2014, 10:53 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Are they the abm angels though Niall? I doubt it. Tongue lol

Couldn't care less. All angels look shite lol

Let the truth be heard lol

Looking really nice tom,any extravagant plans in the pipeline...
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:47 PM)Niall Wrote: Tom your certainly cracking on with this! Whats the plan? Sell the 1.8 and break the moonstone then use that money to fix this one up?

Moonstone has gone lol. That was stripped by Friday, and scrapped Monday.

Fixing this one hasn't really cost much, most parts came from the breaker or I already had. But yeah, will be selling the 1.8 and eventually the moonstone parts for extra funds.

(21-03-2014, 01:40 PM)7057sam Wrote: Looking really nice tom,any extravagant plans in the pipeline...

Nope... If I had money to waste on extravagant plans I'd have bought something quicker to start with lol.
Thanks given by:
So, 'box back in last night, shiny linkages too!

[Image: IMAG3294_zps6dca3cde.jpg]

Also changed the stat, which was probably original.

[Image: IMAG3295_zpsdfc2dee2.jpg]

And after the cambelt and 'box change, do you think it would start!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtz5eZnQ...e=youtu.be

And I also finally sorted the brake line! Bleeding didn't go too well though. Haven't got a 7mm spanner so couldn't do the rears properly. Brakes work, but the pedal hits the floor straight away, so loads of air left I guess. Tomorows job then! Will also have to sort the main positive feed to the fusebox as that's hanging by about 5 strands, and the separate feed to the fans snapped so will have to sort that as well. Apart from those, its just putting stuff back together and should be done! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
go on there tom!
Thanks given by:
Why the battery change out of interest? That Halfords one says awesome, never have any battery issues with that on!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 11:45 AM)C2K Wrote: Why the battery change out of interest? That Halfords one says awesome, never have any battery issues with that on!

The Bosch S5 is only 18 months old, so still loads of warranty and has done me well in various 306s since buying it. Want to get my moneys worth from it. And it looks cool... lol
Thanks given by:
Soooo, this is now driveable! lol

Coolant filled and bled (though waited bloody ages for the stat to open but it never got above 70c, so not fully bled yet lol. Dodgy

Brakes bled - more travel in the pedal than the 1.8, but brakes work well and are 'solid' (no creep) so guess that's just the downside of 283 fronts.

Changed the front arch liner which was badly cracked at the back and letting wet mud pile up on the sill, not what I want lol.

Then done oil and filter service. Bit early but meh.

So tomorrows plan:
Refit exhaust
Refit spare wheel and cage
Adjust handbrake - refit centre console
Investigate rhythmic knocking noise (hope its not a shaft broken Sad )
Change air con temp fan (the one above your head) as it sounds like a jet engine starting when you turn to ignition. lol
Swap bonnets with 1.8 (lesser of two evils, one has dents, chips and laquer peel, the other has dents and scratches lol)
Swap rainsport cyclones with the two dead tyred cyclones - fit my chrome bolts and decent lockers
Swap wipers for the Aerotwins
Put decent 4 spoke leather wheel in
Fit spare china door handle as the one on there was painted from another colour, good colour match but poor prep so not a good finish.
Might crimp the mirror wires in the door loom if can be bothered taking door off.
Level up the bumper as it has a massive gap - gaps all round so should just need buffers turning and bumper held up while tightening

If theres time, degrease around the bay and jetwash the exterior. Won't have time for a proper clean/polish/seal/wax though!
Thanks given by:
The pedal should be solid, guarantee it will have air in the abs. Tbh, could use a replacement master cyl no doubt at that mileage.

What knocking noise you got?

Just drive it tbh. :p
Thanks given by:
Nah, the pedal felt odd before I touched anything, feels more like the Vectra, bit of travel before anything happens, but goes solid with the engine off (no servo). The 1.8 was instant 'grab' the moment you touched the pedal... The ideal would be in between the two really lol as I keep nearly headbutting the screen in the 1.8 lol. AFAIK you cant get air stuck in the ABS pump as it defaults to open when engines off.

Knocking is a quiet slow rhythmic knock, its odd as it seems too slow to be anything at all, I'd guess about every 4 rotations of a roadwheel it happens. Though various things are just hanging atm, so could be cat pipe or spare wheel hook or something clunking. Will see if it still happens when it's all back together. Tbh now I think about it, I don't remember tightening rear wheel bolts much as wasn't expecting to drive it today, but rain started so didn't have much else I could do except take it round the block...so could even be a loose wheel lol. Confused lol

Its all very well saying just drive it, but I don't want a repeat of the Vectra... Once I've lost trust in a car it doesn't come back so trying to reduce the chance of anything failing on me! Smile
Thanks given by:
Remember it was bled with a broken rear nipple though, never was happy with the pedal after that but lost interest tbh as it drove lol.
Thanks given by:
True, hadn't thought of that. Pretty sure Rowell has 283s, will see if his pedal feels the same as mine next weekend. Smile

Surely the pedal would creep with the engine off if there was still in the system though?
Thanks given by:
I to have got this strange issue with my brakes. When I drive the estate or my my girlfriends 206 I always use too much pressure.

I've tried a couple of times now to bleed the system now to no avail, my next step is to replace the master cylinder.

With the engine off it feels like there is air in the system but I've tried bleeding with an easy bleed system and the old fashioned way this afternoon.
Thanks given by:
I'm getting this sensation too. Keeping a close eye on fluid level as we were faffing with the beam yesterday, but I assume if anything was broken it would piss out rather obviously.

Pedal initially feels good, then goes a little further than I would hope. Think I'll bleed mine next week see if it makes any difference.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
It might be because the pads and disc were disturbed when working on the suspension. See how it feels later in the week, if it's still the same then change the rear flexi hoses and bleed.
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 08:58 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I to have got this strange issue with my brakes. When I drive the estate or my my girlfriends 206 I always use too much pressure.

I've tried a couple of times now to bleed the system now to no avail, my next step is to replace the master cylinder.

With the engine off it feels like there is air in the system but I've tried bleeding with an easy bleed system and the old fashioned way this afternoon.

Hmm, have you got the GTi brakes or still the 266s?

(23-03-2014, 09:11 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: I'm getting this sensation too. Keeping a close eye on fluid level as we were faffing with the beam yesterday, but I assume if anything was broken it would piss out rather obviously.

Pedal initially feels good, then goes a little further than I would hope. Think I'll bleed mine next week see if it makes any difference.

That does sound like an air issue Chris, that's how mine felt yesterday. It's the opposite to how they are today which is initially nothing then good after.

I bought this bleed kit to do it by myself and was really easy tbh, much easier than the Gunson pressure bleed kit that I tried before.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/store...yId_255216

Also, with the trade card Halfords brake fluid drops from £7.49 to £1.97! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Haha, I just get the Mrs involved. Nothing like being able to shout instructions to her that she actually follows - it never happens in any other scenario! Brake on! Brake off! Etc....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Large glass jar, drill a hole in the lid, use a small length of clear tube, position it right and you can bleed the brakes solo. Just ensure the pipe goes over as a loop before going into jar.

I was skeptical till I tried it last week...watched it as someone else pumped the pedal...and it worked a treat
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 09:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Hmm, have you got the GTi brakes or still the 266s?

I bought this bleed kit to do it by myself and was really easy tbh, much easier than the Gunson pressure bleed kit that I tried before.

Oop's yeah standard 266's.

How does that work? I've got the Gunson one and I like it but the top has spilt. I've tried glueing it but it doesn't hold pressure.
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 09:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Large glass jar, drill a hole in the lid, use a small length of clear tube, position it right and you can bleed the brakes solo. Just ensure the pipe goes over as a loop before going into jar.

I was skeptical till I tried it last week...watched it as someone else pumped the pedal...and it worked a treat

Easier with a one way valve though. Wink Each to their own tbh, I've tried arsing about with pipes in jars before and for the £4 this cost on trade it makes life so much easier!

(23-03-2014, 09:26 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote:
(23-03-2014, 09:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Hmm, have you got the GTi brakes or still the 266s?

Oop's yeah standard 266's.

How does that work? I've got the Gunson one and I like it but the top has spilt. I've tried glueing it but it doesn't hold pressure.

Ah well that's confusing then, obviously not specific to the calipers, so must be something else. Servo or MC worn possibly? Not much else it can be tbh.

Its just a bottle with a one way valve at the end of the tube.

So put tube on nipple and open.
Jump in car and push pedal 2 or 3 times
Check fluid in clear pipe - fluid doesn't move due to one way valve.
If its clear tighten nipple as usual.

Barely took any time at all!
Thanks given by:
tom are you going to run the two together? also what happened to the Vectra? as i don't really follow what's been going on. not really on here that often,
Thanks given by:
The Vectra sold a few weeks back for £3k, same as I bought it for about a year ago!

The 1.8 will be sold over the next month...hopefully! If not it'll end up as another breaker lol.

Then will just be left with the DTurbo. Smile
Thanks given by:
Knackered flexis and sticky calipers can both cause that feeling.

This is looking better now fella, really been cracking on with it, fair play!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Rear calipers are new (well recon) and fronts were disassembled and regreased, though one slide pin in each had rusted previously and been cleaned up so not smooth if that would cause it? Flexies on beam were new a year ago, and fronts look new but not sure of age.
Thanks given by:
Bloody hell Tom! You'll of owned more 306s than me soon lol

She looks good though. I hope the fact your doing all this work means your gonna keep her.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tom's China 1.8 Meridian 2014 - Project Deja Vu Toms306 33 8,594 23-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Toms306