Tom's China HDi DTurbo 2014

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom's China HDi DTurbo 2014
So, have bought this, a few of you might recognise it. Lovely low milage example with the same careful owner for the last 9 years! Who also happens to be on the forum. Wink

My phone camera seems to be getting worse, but you get the idea lol...

Quite a few plans for tidying up and cheap, subtle mods, won't be doing anything performancewise though.

[Image: IMAG3242_zpsccbf7780.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3243_zps6f03712d.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3245_zps4ed837bd.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3244_zps3d48b0d7.jpg]

Firstly changed the beam for the refurbed GTi one from the moonstone breaker. It was sitting on a Meridian beam and looked a little high lol.

Had to remove the spare wheel with a crowbar and cut the bolt out first....good job it hadn't been needed lol.

[Image: IMAG3249_zps424f38b6.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3246_zps781bfc64.jpg]

Then I ruined a brake line, as you probably saw in my other thread!

[Image: IMAG3282_zps52af0258.jpg]

Also changed the stereo which was broken...and even more so when I went to remove the face, and the ribbon cable snapped....in the bin then! Got my JVC and stereo stalk adapter in instead.

[Image: IMAG3247_zps3c80fecd.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3248_zpsa5810f92.jpg]

Got it on PP2K and surprisingly only one fault code, something to do with a door lock (probably due to the broken drivers door loom).

[Image: IMAG3253_zps7879bc49.jpg]

Then yesterday/today set about changing the cambelt, water pump and tensioners which were due, and made a small fail as seen in the HDi section lol. Also changed aux sprung tensioner for a good one I had.

[Image: IMAG3272_zpse125de41.jpg]

So this is how it stands tonight, no rear brakes, and no working engine currently....sorry Simon! lol

[Image: IMAG3280_zps761eadce.jpg]
Thanks given by:
C2K's? Atleast you havent got a shitter this time
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I thought this had done moon miles, or am i thinking of another haha? Bit of a ninja move Tom, atleast you have the one you want now. Looks real tidy to, good work bud Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Looks like a nice base for a good stage 2 bud Wink hehe
Thanks given by:
InloveInlove

Ah my baby.. 273k indeed.

Iirc That fault had been there ages tom, never had any rcl issues but it usually complained about the remote battery level, despite it working fine.

She's been a good car, 9 years and 204k I had it for and never had much fuss. It's lived on a motorway tbh. you driven it much yet?

I slow down for pies! Much to the confusion of my work mates..
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Ffs tom. :-)
Looks a very nice example though mate.
I really hope this one nakes you happy!
If I was you id upload a little cheeky map though. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looking f**king awesome Tom!
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 09:14 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Ffs tom. :-)
Looks a very nice example though mate.
I really hope this one nakes you happy!
If I was you id upload a little cheeky map though. :-)

Dude, it's been stage 1 for over 100k...
Thanks given by:
This is a nice car Tom, and it's a 3door too which makes it instantly better :p

Thanks for the advice in chatbox for changing the sprung tensioner, I had to do mine in the dark this evening - not fun! I had to completely remove the manual tensioner to get the old sprung one out though, did you have to do the same?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 08:58 PM)Connor Wrote: C2K's? Atleast you havent got a shitter this time

Well that didn't take much guessing lol.

And yeah, hopefully I'll find out what a decent HDi is like.....better not be an anti-climax! lol

(18-03-2014, 09:05 PM)Tom Wrote: I thought this had done moon miles, or am i thinking of another haha? Bit of a ninja move Tom, atleast you have the one you want now. Looks real tidy to, good work bud Smile

Yeah lol, the 'low milage' was irony. Wink 273k almost, as Simon says.

It is surprisingly tidy given the mileage! Bonnet has lacquer peel though, which is annoying as the bonnet on the 1.8 is crap as well so no point swapping lol. Also, the drivers door has been bent at some point, potential break in I'm guessing, so that has a small crease in the A pillar bit. But apart from that and a few door dings, bodywork is excellent, much better than the 1.8 which has done a third of the miles. lol Did think about trying the heat gun and compressed air to pop out some of the smaller dents lol, seems to work on youtube!

(18-03-2014, 09:08 PM)mcglynn Wrote: Looks like a nice base for a good stage 2 bud Wink hehe

Must admit, I was tempted to get a 110 intercooler setup as I cant be arsed fabricating another like I did with the Golf. And a low torque S2, but insurance has put a stop to that. Plus probably not wise with the mileage lol.

(18-03-2014, 09:11 PM)C2K Wrote: InloveInlove

Ah my baby.. 273k indeed.

Iirc That fault had been there ages tom, never had any rcl issues but it usually complained about the remote battery level, despite it working fine.

She's been a good car, 9 years and 204k I had it for and never had much fuss. It's lived on a motorway tbh. you driven it much yet?

I slow down for pies! Much to the confusion of my work mates..

Ah right, fair enough. The 1.8 brought up a similar door lock fault, but again seems fine (though the looms broken on that as well lol).

I haven't driven it at all lol, it's sat on the driveway getting gradually more broken since you dropped it off! Sad Thought I'd get everything sorted before getting it on the road anyway. Just as well I did really with the brake fail and aux pulley fail lol. Also gonna chuck my low mileage gearbox on, with the Miles linkages, good mount and a pair of fork bushes. That'll hopefully sort the odd clutch feeling, as it's horrible compared to the 1.8! The fork bushes are dead, about 2mm sideways play at the top one lol, so hopefully it's just them. Might change the cable as well though, unless you did that with the clutch last year? Only thing is I noticed it's got the EGR cooler, so might be a hassle to change the cable around that!

And yeah, I don't get the sticker either... Confused lol
Thanks given by:
Didn't you buy a 1.8 like 20 minutes ago? Looks good though, impressive for the mileage Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 09:32 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: This is a nice car Tom, and it's a 3door too which makes it instantly better :p

Thanks for the advice in chatbox for changing the sprung tensioner, I had to do mine in the dark this evening - not fun! I had to completely remove the manual tensioner to get the old sprung one out though, did you have to do the same?

Less practical, as I keep going to chuck stuff on the backseat and not being able to find the appropriate door handle... lol But yeah, now I've had a couple of 3 doors (moonstone breaker was also 3 dr) they're growing on me tbh...

And no worries, I've never had to remove the manual tensioner though. Didn't today either, though I just dropped the engine a bit as the engine mount was off for the belt anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Tom. Didnt realise you had got it off someone on here! 273k is insane! Selling the 1.8 now then?
Thanks given by:
Cable was brand new Peugeot when I did the clutch in 2012, so shouldn't be much wrong with it. Not sure how heavy it is tbh as the Golf is RIDICULOUSLY light so i'm not much of a gauge anymore. The fork bush had no play in when I did the clutch, but that little rat bastard pin wouldn't come out for love nor money. Gearbox and linkages are a good move tbh, plus I guess you will stick the lower mileage injectors in.

Don't remember any lacquer peel on the bonnet, but there are some heavy stone chips and a few stone dings from a dump truck about 6 years ago that decided to shower me (drove past 2 quarries every day). :S

At the end of the day, most of the above didn't matter too much to me as I just turned the stereo up and continued to pile miles on it haha.
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 09:37 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Didn't you buy a 1.8 like 20 minutes ago? Looks good though, impressive for the mileage Smile

Sorry? How many cars have you owned? Tongue

And no, I bought the 1.8 over a month ago lol, dunno where the time goes! The 1.8 was only meant to be a stop gap anyway, 30-35mpg made my round trip to town a fiver each time, which I can't afford. But needed to shift the Vectra before anything else, hence buying the 1.8. I wasn't intending to buy a HDi but as Simons came up at the right time and I have plenty of parts and he's had good reliability from it I thought, why not! Smile

(18-03-2014, 09:38 PM)SRowell Wrote: Nice work Tom. Didnt realise you had got it off someone on here! 273k is insane! Selling the 1.8 now then?

Lol, it's only a number! And still 40k less than Dee's. lol

And yes, 1.8 will be for sale soon. Smile
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 09:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(18-03-2014, 09:37 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Didn't you buy a 1.8 like 20 minutes ago? Looks good though, impressive for the mileage Smile

Sorry? How many cars have you owned? Tongue

And no, I bought the 1.8 over a month ago lol, dunno where the time goes! The 1.8 was only meant to be a stop gap anyway, 30-35mpg made my round trip to town a fiver each time, which I can't afford. But needed to shift the Vectra before anything else, hence buying the 1.8. I wasn't intending to buy a HDi but as Simons came up at the right time and I have plenty of parts and he's had good reliability from it I thought, why not! Smile

lol I wish I could get 35 mpg lol

I don't shift them as fast as you though! Does look a proper tidy car though, even if it had normal mileage, and at least this one isn't a dog Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 09:40 PM)C2K Wrote: Cable was brand new Peugeot when I did the clutch in 2012, so shouldn't be much wrong with it. Not sure how heavy it is tbh as the Golf is RIDICULOUSLY light so i'm not much of a gauge anymore. The fork bush had no play in when I did the clutch, but that little rat bastard pin wouldn't come out for love nor money. Gearbox and linkages are a good move tbh, plus I guess you will stick the lower mileage injectors in.

Don't remember any lacquer peel on the bonnet, but there are some heavy stone chips and a few stone dings from a dump truck about 6 years ago that decided to shower me (drove past 2 quarries every day). :S

At the end of the day, most of the above didn't matter too much to me as I just turned the stereo up and continued to pile miles on it haha.

It's not so much heavy as 'stiff and notchy' (oo err!). Makes the 1.8 one feel hydraulic, so smooth and slick in comparison! lol Will leave the cable then, that saves some hassle! Big Grin I'm getting pretty quick at 'box and clutch changes on these now tbf lol. Will also stick the lower mileage coolant heater in as well, as the plugs in yours will be well past their best by now haha. As for injectors, not for now, it looks as though 2 of the ones on the breaker were leaking pretty bad! It might have been the washers rather than the injectors themselves, but as said will leave yours for now. Oh and the low mileage starter as well while I'm there lol.

The lacquer peel is around those chips, just where the water gets in once the paint has been broken really. It's just one of those little annoyances really lol.

Tbh, once I've tidied up these things, I probably wont touch it again for a while, just use it, fill it and clean it! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Looks good, much better with the correct number of doors Wink.
Thanks given by:
So...this is still on stands currently! Dodgy

Anyway, been getting on with various things (in between swearing at the brake lines!).

First thing to note is it still has the undertray! Which is good for holding oil, unfortunately I left it on end in the garage so now the garage floor is covered in oil, sigh. Rolleyes Pretty much like the underside of the car tbf though lol, hopefully its just a boost leak or EGR mess....the one thing I don't wanna change is the turbo on one of these!

[Image: IMAG3263_zps57883fc7.jpg]

And the lower mount is knackered, so bought a powerflex replacement...it comes with the inset washers so hopefully they've sorted the issues with them.

[Image: IMAG3264_zps677d9394.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3271_zps7959332d.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3291_zps28392dae.jpg]

Backtracking slightly - genuine cambelt kit

[Image: IMAG3261_zpsc56abe45.jpg]

Gonna stick the low milage box in so bought these to go with it, the Bilstein seals can be had cheap on ebay compared with the dealer ones.

[Image: IMAG3259_zps620126eb.jpg]

Also bought a service kit and 'stat while ECP had a sale on...

[Image: IMAG3286_zps0db9d583.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3289_zps456a46f8.jpg]

And this how it stands tonight...

[Image: IMAG3292_zps48c34d88.jpg]

Also, think I'll be using the shafts from the breaker...seeing as the bearing on the long one is a little knackered lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysutqI1M6S4
Thanks given by:
Christ! Not another! Looks like you are cracking on with it though Big Grin
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, thought I'd even it up to 10... lol
Thanks given by:
At least you've had a variety of colours Tongue.
Thanks given by:
True lol, still no Astor though. Sad

Also going down a different route with this one, bored of the ABM angels and smooth blue brakes that I've had previously.... ninja
Thanks given by:
Coming along nicely. That bearing died years ago on the long shaft, never caused me any problems! Piece of junk!

Never realised the rear mount was bust, but then can't say I recall looking at it!

The oil leak is coming from the top of the engine somewhere, never did find the culprit but there is a spare cam cover gasket in the box I gave you. It could use a steam cleaning tbh..
Thanks given by:
Ah if it's only the cam cover leaking that's fine, I did notice its missing a couple of bolts, but they are two front ones, didn't look behind though. Is the EGR blanked btw, keep forgetting to check lol? I don't have a steam cleaner, I do have a jetwash and some degreaser though, so that will have to do lol.

Think the timing covers have to come off to remove the cam cover so cant be bothered with that again lol.
Thanks given by:
Haha, was that the st Patricks day flash sale 30%? I took advantage of that on Monday...

Can I ask what you paid for the cambelt kit inc water pump?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was lol. Big Grin

And the kit was a Genuine Pug one at £100 (£107 book price). Its a Dayco belt, an SKF tensioner and an INA idler though, so woulda been cheaper to buy elsewhere...though I did want a genuine waterpump, and not some crap plastic finned one lol!

Can get a Gates kit on ebay inc a non-gen waterpump for about £60, wasn't sure on FirstLine waterpumps though, and rather spend a little extra for piece of mind.
Thanks given by:
How much for the angels then Tom? Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No I didn't blank the egr, it was driven hard and on long journeys which clearly agreed with the operating principles Big Grin

Don't remember disturbing the top end and never noticed any bolts missing lol, how odd!
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2014, 10:07 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: How much for the angels then Tom? Big Grin

Theyll never be for sale Tongue

Tom ive got a FMIC if you want to fit that!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tom's China 1.8 Meridian 2014 - Project Deja Vu Toms306 33 8,595 23-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Last Post: Toms306