Few questions about intercooler and mapping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few questions about intercooler and mapping
Hi all,

just got myself a 306 hdi as a run around, its had a stage 1 map on it.
I have removed the aircon and full egr system,fitted a cone filter with cold air feed and I will be fitting a intercooler once I find a suitable one for a good price,

my question is will my stage 1 map be ok, or should I get it mapped to stage 2?
can I fit a bleed valve on a hdi?
is there any turbo upgrades for more power?

cheers
steve
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum,no dowt someone on here how has a modified hdi will be able to advise you in the answers to your questions Hello
Thanks given by:
Stage 1 is fine, but after the effort of fitting an intercooler you'll want to go stage 2! As long as your clutch is good anyway.

After that you'd be looking at bigger turbos...
Thanks given by:
The stage 1 map will run fine, but you'll need a stage 2 map if you want the extra power. You can fit a bleed valve, but it shouldn't be necessary if you fit a good turbo. There are lots of turbos out there, many of them could be considered upgrades. Not a lot of people do it yet, so there's no established route as such, but popular ones are the gt20s or a td04.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you got the time/finances I'd stick a intercooler on, it won't do much without a stage 2 power wise but it'd cleaned up any smoke from my stage 1 and improved my mpg I reckon
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
It depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have on your hands.
Stage 1 is VERY easy to do and gives the car a new lease of life.
Stage 2 will be very powerful, but you need to be good with mechanics to fit all the parts and set the car up properly.

Both require the car to be in good condition and well maintained.

For the stage 2, yes you will need a mechanical boost controller, I recommend to use a ball and spring controller rather than a bleed valve. I've got a little guide on fitting them both on my site if needed.

Personally I wouldn't use a cone filter unless there is absolutely no way around it (for example intercooler pipes in the way). They suck in hot air, and your MAF will die quite quickly from all the dirt going through it (if you use a rubbish cone). If you use a good cone (oiled) then the MAF will be ruined by the oil, kind of a lose lose situation IMO.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 05:25 PM)pro_steve Wrote: It depends on how much you want to spend and how much time you have on your hands.
Stage 1 is VERY easy to do and gives the car a new lease of life.
Stage 2 will be very powerful, but you need to be good with mechanics to fit all the parts and set the car up properly.

Both require the car to be in good condition and well maintained.

For the stage 2, yes you will need a mechanical boost controller, I recommend to use a ball and spring controller rather than a bleed valve. I've got a little guide on fitting them both on my site if needed.

Personally I wouldn't use a cone filter unless there is absolutely no way around it (for example intercooler pipes in the way). They suck in hot air, and your MAF will die quite quickly from all the dirt going through it (if you use a rubbish cone). If you use a good cone (oiled) then the MAF will be ruined by the oil, kind of a lose lose situation IMO.

hi pro steve,

my car already has a stage 1 map, I have also done timing belt kit/water pump, oil+filter, fuel filter etc.

The cone filter killing MAF's is a myth imo as I have run all makes on cone filters on a wide range of cars and never had one problem.

Once I have fitted a intercooler I may be in touch for a stage 2 Smile

cheers
Thanks given by:
A "myth" substantiated by a lot of the hdi owners on here that have run cone or other after market filters. Wink It might be an unusual weakness, but it's pretty well established lol.

The bit that needs to be well looked after is the fueling system, it's crucial to running a strong stage 2. Are you planning on going for big power in future?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(14-03-2014, 07:15 PM)Poodle Wrote: A "myth" substantiated by a lot of the hdi owners on here that have run cone or other after market filters. Wink It might be an unusual weakness, but it's pretty well established lol.

The bit that needs to be well looked after is the fueling system, it's crucial to running a strong stage 2. Are you planning on going for big power in future?

I run a pipercross cone on my 206 hdi for thousands of miles and not a problem, so ill take my chance with that lol,

Im not sure what power I want it to run realy as I only got it as a cheap runabout, but a stage 2 map would be nice lol!
Thanks given by:
Fair play, your car at the end of the day, just wanted to make sure you were well informed. Smile

It gets pretty expensive after stage 2, so if it was me i'd fmic it, sort the exhaust, bang a gt17 on and be done.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
With the 206 HDI the default values when the MAF are dead are high, so you would never notice there's a problem, on the 306 though it will be down on power if dead.
It's not a myth, it's what I've seen though the years of tuning these, obviously it does depend on quite how bad the cone filter is. The new type MAFs on the EDC16 engines are designed slightly different so I think less likely to damage it on one of those.

Just get in touch when ready, you want a boost controller and 20 psi of boost too. Exhaust mods always make a big difference on these but it depends on how much noise you can tolerate.

Steve
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Pipercross filters now are dry so shouldn't be as bad either.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Thought a few would be interested by this... Not saying that K&N have any reason to say that their filters to shag mafs... But it makes for an interesting read...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diagnostics gubbins/mapping Uberderv 37 5,145 15-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Hdi mapping software/vnt ecu control Chris306 14 3,763 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Ruan
  New Laptop = Mapping Time. Dodgy Bob 12 2,637 29-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Kwik