Whats this abs light?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats this abs light?
This light has been on since I bought the car, I know its something to do with the abs front pads are fine rear were goosed changed them yesterday but the light is still on any ideas?
[Image: ja7yrypa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
check the connections on the abs sensors on each wheel
Thanks given by:
check the abs rings on the drive shafts rust gets behind them and they split and throw the abs light on
Thanks given by:
Mines comes on to but only above 70, has no effect on the breaking whatsoever but i'll fix it eventually as it does get annoying
Thanks given by:
Mine came on from abs fuse being removed. Fuse, connections or abs sensor/ring
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Front driveshaft rings split. You can buy new on eBay and heat them in the oven. Did this with my brothers car and worked a treat.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
My old car did this when a sensor died. Pretty easy to work out which one as a wheel would lock up under braking :/
Thanks given by:
(12-03-2014, 10:10 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: My old car did this when a sensor died. Pretty easy to work out which one as a wheel would lock up under braking :/

Any wheel could lock up, as when the light is on, the ABS isnt active at all
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:03 PM)Connor Wrote:
(12-03-2014, 10:10 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: My old car did this when a sensor died. Pretty easy to work out which one as a wheel would lock up under braking :/

Any wheel could lock up, as when the light is on, the ABS isnt active at all

Just like airbags, if the light is on it won't be working
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:

To find a faulty sensor:

-Take a sensor out of the wheel hub

-Put a multimeter across the terminals in the plug

-Wave a magnet (magnetic screwdriver will be fine) across the tip of the sensor

-You should get readings. If not, the sensor is dead.

Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:41 PM)Grant Wrote:

To find a faulty sensor:

-Take a sensor out of the wheel hub (We all know they don't come out in one piece so leave in place for now)

-Put a multimeter across the terminals in the plug (On vAC and if your meter isn't auto ranging, below 20v)

-Wave a magnet (magnetic screwdriver will be fine) across the tip of the sensor (seeing as your sensor is still in the hub, just spin the disc)

-You should get readings. If not, the sensor is dead. (voltage may also increase the faster you spin the disc. Depending on how good your meter is, you will see the voltage drop as it passes over the gaps in the rings)

Smile

Added a few bits Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:36 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Just like airbags, if the light is on it won't be working

wrong!

remember a picture of Just seans car upside down on the M4 the airbag was detonated and his light was on b4 the accident Wink
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 06:37 PM)cully Wrote:
(16-03-2014, 05:36 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Just like airbags, if the light is on it won't be working

wrong!

remember a picture of Just seans car upside down on the M4 the airbag was detonated and his light was on b4 the accident Wink

Sure? I thought he had one of your resistors which was fitted under Eds ownership of it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
he never fitted it i asked that question to him
Thanks given by:

wrong!

So the circuit is armed and ready to fire with the light on, I thought with the light on the bag/s would not fire...you learn something new every day!

Talking of airbags, I have seen my first 306 where the bags have gone off after an accident - from what I've heard they never go off lol

Thanks given by:
Maybe I just got lucky then as the wheel that was locking up was the one with the dodgy sensor on it.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 07:26 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:

wrong!

So the circuit is armed and ready to fire with the light on, I thought with the light on the bag/s would not fire...you learn something new every day!

Talking of airbags, I have seen my first 306 where the bags have gone off after an accident - from what I've heard they never go off lol

Airbags went off on mine last week! She was made in 98 too! Not bad going
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Did you set them off or an accident Matt?

Thanks given by:
Managed to get my abs light sorted, had nothing to do with sensor or that, for awhile id bigger tyres on the back 45s front 55s back so when up to speed the wheels going at different speeds must have be throwing the sensor off? Hasnt done it since Wednesday when i got 2 new tyres so ive 45s all around
Thanks given by:
(23-03-2014, 09:57 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Maybe I just got lucky then as the wheel that was locking up was the one with the dodgy sensor on it.

Did a beam swap at the weekend and one of the ABS sensors is throwing the light on, locked up this morning in the wet on a country road. So light on = no ABS whatsoever lol
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2014, 09:48 AM)C.A.R. Wrote:
(23-03-2014, 09:57 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Maybe I just got lucky then as the wheel that was locking up was the one with the dodgy sensor on it.

Did a beam swap at the weekend and one of the ABS sensors is throwing the light on, locked up this morning in the wet on a country road. So light on = no ABS whatsoever lol

LOL same happened me 2 fridays ago, car pulling out hada swerve then cars stopped in front onto the achors and locked up slide past a man ina passat lol big elevensisis in the middle of the road lol
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2014, 10:44 AM)djyo Wrote: This light has been on since I bought the car, I know its something to do with the abs front pads are fine rear were goosed changed them yesterday but the light is still on any ideas?
[Image: ja7yrypa.jpg]

Hello djyo,

what was finaly the root cause?
I have exactly the same problem.

I also was not able to reach the ABS unit with the Diagtool.
Thanks given by:
if the light is on, its warning you that the system is NOT working.
Thanks given by:
hmm, ok there are two lights. Which one says the unit is not working? I thought it is still possible to read out the units failure codes?
Do I have to replace the control part because it is broken or could it just be a defect sensor?
If you say it is broken, how to prove that is not just a broken wire?
Thanks given by:
One on the right is the abs one, which will light up when there is a fault.
Thanks given by:
You can read the codes, but not with a cheap code reader, it needs to be a decent generic one (Snap on for example) or Peugeot Planet.

Planet can tell you the exact fault, even down to a broken wire sometimes. Chances are it's a faulty sensor, or cracked ring around the driveshaft. The ABS units themselves don't often fail on 306s.
Thanks given by:
Big Grin ok, sell the car, understood ...

What I did already:
checked fuses - ok
read out main ECU - ok
tried to read out ABS ECU - no connection, no answer
checked park brake switch - ok
checked braking fluid level switch - ok
checked ABS rings in front (replaced discs and pads already) - ok

any "seriuos" hints how to proceed further?

kind regards

(sorry for my bad english, I was not borne in your lovely country)

(16-09-2014, 09:11 AM)Toms306 Wrote: You can read the codes, but not with a cheap code reader, it needs to be a decent generic one (Snap on for example) or Peugeot Planet.

Planet can tell you the exact fault, even down to a broken wire sometimes. Chances are it's a faulty sensor, or cracked ring around the driveshaft. The ABS units themselves don't often fail on 306s.

Hello Toms306,

thanks for your reply.
Yes, I tried with a china clone and PP2000. ABS didn`t answer. Other units did.
May be your right and I have to go to a Peugeot dealer and let them check.

kind regards, Mr Silverball
Thanks given by:
Do you mean the red park brake light is permanently on as well as the orange ABS light?

Have you checked the plug to the ABS ECU? Make sure its clean and tight.
Thanks given by:
exactly

as soon as one releases the park brake, it dims very little, but stays on at all

I also removed the plug and it looked as you said.

In a 306 handbook from 2001 I read that this light (park brake) also indicates a failure in EBD, but the 10/2000 version has no EBD as far as I know.
Although it doesn't have the mechanical BD one on the rear axis.
Thanks given by:
Ok, the phase 3 models (1999 onwards) all come with EBD in the UK, so I will assume that's the same for all European 306s. So yours will be ABS and EBD.

It does look like the unit itself is faulty, but I've never seen one fail on 306s before. It could also be a wiring fault but that might be difficult to find. There should be an earth point near the ABS unit, its the green and yellow wire bolted on to the chassis. Check that this is clean (not rusty) and tight to the chassis.
Thanks given by: