Let's talk solid/lightweight pulleys...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk solid/lightweight pulleys...
Been thinking for a while about it now, and here's one aimed at the people currently using solid crank pulleys or whatever else...

Have you noticed any disadvantages from losing the damping built into Oem parts? Like belts wearing faster, vibration on idle etc?

From what I understand Oem pulleys have damping properties to eliminate vibration transferred from the engine at idle so you don't get annoying problems like belt slap

Any issues so far?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I've had aux belt issues fairly consistently with it but I can't find any reason why the pulley would be at fault
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Ive never had an issue with a solid pulley
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2014, 06:16 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ive never kept a car long enough to find out

EFA Angel
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I was told that the point of the damping was to reduce harmful vibrations through the crank which could cause some form of engine failure however this is so minor, it wouldn't show its self for 100,000s of miles. How true this is i don't know but there has to be a reason for it to be there!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
another reason for the damped pulley is to take the kick out the A/C pump when starting
Thanks given by:
Take a read here, http://vibrationfree.co.uk/our-services/...t/rattler/

But I have used Solid Pulley's on all my engine builds and to date never had a issue with any
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
cheers for the info fellas
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,602 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,689 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg
  Raspberry pi. Talk to me. ginge191 7 1,976 20-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eeyore