306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Let's talk solid/lightweight pulleys...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been thinking for a while about it now, and here's one aimed at the people currently using solid crank pulleys or whatever else...

Have you noticed any disadvantages from losing the damping built into Oem parts? Like belts wearing faster, vibration on idle etc?

From what I understand Oem pulleys have damping properties to eliminate vibration transferred from the engine at idle so you don't get annoying problems like belt slap

Any issues so far?
I've had aux belt issues fairly consistently with it but I can't find any reason why the pulley would be at fault
Ive never had an issue with a solid pulley
(06-03-2014, 06:16 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: [ -> ]Ive never kept a car long enough to find out

EFA Angel
I was told that the point of the damping was to reduce harmful vibrations through the crank which could cause some form of engine failure however this is so minor, it wouldn't show its self for 100,000s of miles. How true this is i don't know but there has to be a reason for it to be there!
another reason for the damped pulley is to take the kick out the A/C pump when starting
Take a read here, http://vibrationfree.co.uk/our-services/...t/rattler/

But I have used Solid Pulley's on all my engine builds and to date never had a issue with any
cheers for the info fellas