Would you live in a timber house?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you live in a timber house?
#1. *affect* Wink

Done it, surprised it isn't already common practice tbh, wood's a seriously resilient material used right.

Although this is a good point...

(23-02-2014, 10:24 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Just me that doesn't see the point of building a timber block of flats that looks more like a concrete shit-heap than the concrete shit-heaps do?

lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I get enough water leaks going all over me in my 306 without coming home to a house made of material that isn't damp proof!
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 10:11 PM)Piggy Wrote: Dont 90% new builds have timber frames anyhow?

Just brick outer shell.
Timber is used here and there but the double skinned cavity wall seems to be holding true as the favorite for most external residential construction. Worked on a few construction site over the years and they've all used that method however I have also done a site inspection for a 2 story timber frame about 2 years ago. So both methods are used but timber isn't so much a standard practice more of a...special request perhaps?

Srowell I have taken some inspiration from them proving its a suitable material and like you say it might not last as long but I recall from reading something a while ago materials like concrete can survive up to a 1000 years which is nice and all but buildings are rarely kept for that long meaning alot of left over bits, although some of it can be reused.

(24-02-2014, 07:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: #1. *affect* Wink

Done it, surprised it isn't already common practice tbh, wood's a seriously resilient material used right.

Although this is a good point...

(23-02-2014, 10:24 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Just me that doesn't see the point of building a timber block of flats that looks more like a concrete shit-heap than the concrete shit-heaps do?

lol
Always get those mixed up, it is starting to take a foothold here and there but as said it seems to be more of a gimmicky thing atm. So if someone is trying to make a big thing of being eco friendly they use the wood,rather than just having it as a common practice.

Haha I thought it looked alright, hides the fact its wood although the whole pattern thing might get dirty over time so if not maintained could look grubby

Who said about the mortgages in the feedback? I'd be interested to know more so if it was a highstreet bank I could ask them about the policies in more detail

In regards to how long it would last, we've been taught that 50-100 years is what to aim for with 10 years being classed as "temporary". I will look into the design requirements for timber though to check it's not classed differently but there is still plenty of age old timber housing about so provided it's treated properly I can't see reaching 50 years being a problem
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
every new build I have seen round Hereford, and now round the cotswolds, has been timber framed with a brick skin.

only up to 3 story though.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If anything, i would want to make a point showing the fact that the building is made of wood. Hop back to the 70s when concrete took over and look at all the remaining buildings. They are all blatantly concrete because they wanted to show off that that was the modern technique of building.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,140 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House electrical question cpikey316_ 6 3,054 15-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cully
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,686 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_