Would you live in a timber house?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you live in a timber house?
For my masters dissertation I'm working on the design of a medium rise timber building(4-9 stories) and while it might stand up I'm curious to get feedback from the general public on how they would feel living in something like that since it's no good building something if no one lives in it.

Therefore I'd really appreciate anyone who can spend a minute filling in my survey it's only 9 yes/no/maybe tick box questions so it doesn't require any real work although there is a space a the end to leave some final thoughts/feedback if you'd like
Hell if you leave genuine responses I'll even treat you to some rep haha Tongue

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7RMD5M9
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Done it :p Personally where i live i wouldnt want a timber house, not with the weather seen lately. I'll stick with my foot thick granite walls thanks Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Done.
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Done. Hope it helps Smile
Thanks given by:
Done. Left a few questions for you, that youve probably already considered!
Thanks given by:
Done, I thought if a building is made out of timber it makes it extremly hard to get a mortgage for?

Thanks given by:
Done. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A long as it's spacious and warm that's all that matters but if it's got no drive or garage I'm out
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I'll do it when I get home dude.
Thanks given by:
Fantastic! thank you for the feedback already guys really appreciate it ,rep will be given
"Should have 306 specific garages and should specifically not fit a mg zr" - don't worry I will take this into the design consideration lol

To answer a bit of the feedback about the treated wood,
The timber I'm planning on using is cross laminated panels which according to one manufactures data has a burn rate of 0.76mm/min and meets British standard BS EN 1995-2. While I'll admit I don't know how that compares against other materials yet I'll be looking into that during the project. We have to remember as well that concrete isn't totally fire proof and can even partly explode if it gets hot enough due to moisture content. The laminated part along with exterior cladding should ensure a long lifetime of the structure whilst not surviving too long like concrete which can greatly exceed the buildings designed lifespan.

In regards to mortgages that's a good point, had not thought of it. I assume it should be okay since the material itself isn't unknown but I will look into it
Below is the building in london that's 9 stories of timber
http://www.waughthistleton.com/project.php?name=murray
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Glad my idea will be considered lol also, my main objection to a timber flat, is that flats are loud enough as is ie people upstairs banging around, surely itll be worse in a timber flat?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
can i have the ground floor with this layout please

[attachment=13776]
Thanks given by:
Not quite 9 storeys, but hell yeah I'd like in a timber house!

[Image: tU2PF8l.jpg]
Thanks given by:
done . ;-)
Thanks given by:
tiger, is that 100% timber or just timber clad?
Thanks given by:
I think fire safety is one of the main concerns, this was a block just opposite the police training school in 2006. One of my mates lives there now but I think they are made of concrete lol. Certainly the blocks at the newer end are concrete.

[Image: _41881622_fire6.jpg]
[Image: _41881620_fire5.jpg]
[Image: _41885620_fire10.jpg]
[Image: _41885622_fire9.jpg]
[Image: _41881624_fire7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Id live in a timber building. From a fire point of view, providing they are built within the correct standards, they are just as safe as a concrete building and in terms of eco friendliness, they are virtually carbon neutral and come from a renewable resource.
Don't forget, most new buildings (not your normal 3 bed house...more blocks of flats etc) are a concrete core construction but almost every internal wall (and in some cases, external walls) is wood construction.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Like k£$ha?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
Done, Good luck
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 03:44 PM)cully Wrote: can i have the ground floor with this layout please
I'll do you one better and combine the bathroom and kitchen so you can wash you meat and two veg in the bathtub. Water savings !

That is some fire there Chris, would not want to be the guy to explain to the client that their project had burnt down Confused

(23-02-2014, 06:07 PM)Niall Wrote: Id live in a timber building. From a fire point of view, providing they are built within the correct standards, they are just as safe as a concrete building and in terms of eco friendliness, they are virtually carbon neutral and come from a renewable resource.
Don't forget, most new buildings (not your normal 3 bed house...more blocks of flats etc) are a concrete core construction but almost every internal wall (and in some cases, external walls) is wood construction.
I've been looking into bamboo as well due to its quicker rate of growth and it takes in irrc around 3 times more carbon dioxide than more softwood while it's growing depending on species etc. It is also incredibly hard just problems with sourcing it and it has a habit of deforming slightly if not treated properly e.g cheap bamboo wood flooring
I haven't heard higher rise buildings 4 stories + using timber as the external walls but then this university doesn't explain much outside of 'use steel n concrete but be environmental about it!'.
Having said that I did hear from one of the lectures about the new eco friendly student village they built here which uses timber external walls and a inner concrete core for the lift shaft however they didn't plan for the wood to shrink so now there's like a couple cm dip between the lifts and the floor and some of the window frames don't line up lol
The current design plan is panels that can be assembled on site to ensure proper fitment and ease of construction, structurally insulated panels are an option but I just need to compare the strengths against cross laminated panels which I believe is pretty much the same thing but no insulation and more wood.

Again thanks to everyone who has done the survey so far and given feedback, this has given me alot to think over and write up about
Thanks given by:
From the timber higher rise timber buildings Ive seen they use alot of those timber "I" beams that are 2 proper bits of wood (like 2x2) with a board down the middle to make the beam. The load transmitted long ways down down the length of the proper wood with the grain is the way its strongest under compression. IIRC the outer skin being nailed to it tight is like a drum skin and actually adds to the strength too. Finally they are uber light compared to cast concrete and as its lighter it doesnt have to be as strong.
Thanks given by:
Done. I really like these homes on grand designs etc that are either prefabricated or timber. Its a good idea and should be done more. Most of the houses in america are timber. They dont last as long but they are a lot cheaper! As for height it can be just as strong if its laminated etc.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 06:42 PM)SRowell Wrote: I've been looking into bamboo as well due to its quicker rate of growth and it takes in irrc around 3 times more carbon dioxide than more softwood while it's growing depending on species etc. It is also incredibly hard just problems with sourcing it and it has a habit of deforming slightly if not treated properly e.g cheap bamboo wood flooring
I haven't heard higher rise buildings 4 stories + using timber as the external walls but then this university doesn't explain much outside of 'use steel n concrete but be environmental about it!'.
Having said that I did hear from one of the lectures about the new eco friendly student village they built here which uses timber external walls and a inner concrete core for the lift shaft however they didn't plan for the wood to shrink so now there's like a couple cm dip between the lifts and the floor and some of the window frames don't line up lol
The current design plan is panels that can be assembled on site to ensure proper fitment and ease of construction, structurally insulated panels are an option but I just need to compare the strengths against cross laminated panels which I believe is pretty much the same thing but no insulation and more wood.

Again thanks to everyone who has done the survey so far and given feedback, this has given me alot to think over and write up about

The flats that they are building at Nine Elms in London at the moment are a very basic concrete core lift and stairs, concrete floors spuring from that but the outer walls are all glass and wood. Theres no reason why not as they are not load bearing.
The biggest issue with timber buildings is the fire proofing. If there was none, the building would be up in flames in seconds.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Done....

I put I wouldn't live in a Flat in either type... which I wouldn't... the construction method wouldn't help or hinder...

Something not included which maybe I should have: I'd stay in a multi storey wooden hotel without concern.

I'm adverse to living above or below anybody. I wouldn't want/have something as fundamental as my foundations/roof out of my personal control.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 04:24 PM)Just Sean Wrote: tiger, is that 100% timber or just timber clad?

Just from Google, but i presume 100% wood
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 06:55 PM)Niall Wrote:
(23-02-2014, 06:42 PM)SRowell Wrote: I've been looking into bamboo as well due to its quicker rate of growth and it takes in irrc around 3 times more carbon dioxide than more softwood while it's growing depending on species etc. It is also incredibly hard just problems with sourcing it and it has a habit of deforming slightly if not treated properly e.g cheap bamboo wood flooring

The flats that they are building at Nine Elms in London at the moment are a very basic concrete core lift and stairs, concrete floors spuring from that but the outer walls are all glass and wood. Theres no reason why not as they are not load bearing.
The biggest issue with timber buildings is the fire proofing. If there was none, the building would be up in flames in seconds.

Quote fail niall? not sure i said that!
Thanks given by:
done for you steve.
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 09:51 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(23-02-2014, 06:55 PM)Niall Wrote:

Quote fail niall? not sure i said that!

Yeah just a bit. It's alright, most of what you type is spam anyway so not worth reading Tongue
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Dont 90% new builds have timber frames anyhow?

Just brick outer shell.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2014, 02:43 PM)lolsteve Wrote: [Image: 1.jpg]

Just me that doesn't see the point of building a timber block of flats that looks more like a concrete shit-heap than the concrete shit-heaps do?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oh bugger dog house tonight cully 10 3,125 14-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  House electrical question cpikey316_ 6 3,050 15-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: cully
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,648 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_