Pressed plates....Legality / Source question...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressed plates....Legality / Source question...
Bit of a random one...

What is the situation on pressed plates these days... Are there any proper decent looking pressed plates that are legal to run with on the road in the UK? Or is any form of pressed plate dodgy these days?

Where is the best place to aqquire good quality ones? Had a cheapy set off some dodgy website once before but they looked a bit dull / crappy after a few months...

Thanks for any thoughts..
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Legal, I researched it after a chat with an over zealous officer (who was wrong).

https://www.craigsplates.com/

It was either them or the other popular one I got mine from. Reflective, post coded and BSAU markings.
Thanks given by:
Grey area. The BS states they should be made of plastic and whilst the BS isn't law, it's basically as good as.
All over criteria are covered with most pressed plates now. Reflective background, correct don't (don't get a French looking one. They look shit), correct colours, BS stamp and postcode of where they came from.

I've had mine on almost a year now and no one has said anything. Tbh you wouldn't know they were pressed unless up close.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 02:11 PM)Niall Wrote: Grey area. The BS states they should be made of plastic and whilst the BS isn't law, it's basically as good as.
All over criteria are covered with most pressed plates now. Reflective background, correct don't (don't get a French looking one. They look shit), correct colours, BS stamp and postcode of where they came from.

I've had mine on almost a year now and no one has said anything. Tbh you wouldn't know they were pressed unless up close.

Nah the law says they must conform to BS.

I couldn't find the bit in BS that says they have to be plastic, think it might of been repealed but I don't know.

I think a police officer would be hard pushed to prosecute you if they were correct size, colour, font, spacing, reflective and had the appropriate BS and makers marks.
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was a few years ago that I saw the extract saying they had to be plastic but this may have changed. I would imagine the only reason why is for pedestrian safety (the edges can be rather sharp!) but that's their problem, not yours lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Pressed plates are legal as long as they have a euro mark, a postcode and say GB on the side.

French & German 'style' pressed plates are illegal unless on a french / german registered car.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 02:26 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Pressed plates are legal as long as they have a euro mark, a postcode and say GB on the side.

French & German 'style' pressed plates are illegal unless on a french / german registered car.

Wrong. You don't have to have the euro logo at all. Can have plain plates if you so wish.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
By 'Euro' Mark i mean the little BS stamp kite thingy.

I had a fine for having pressed plates on one of my old cars. Officer was a complete tosser about it and so i reserched it some more.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. Sorry I thought you meant the blue bar down the left hand side with the euro logo on it.
Yeah you have to have the BS stamp on it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I've had pressed plates from Craigsplates for about 4 years now without issue. I replaced the rear with one from eBay which was just as good quality and has all the correct stuff on it, didn't have to send documents off and they were about half the price, too.
Thanks given by:
Got mine off ebay, happy with them. Didnt need to send off documents either
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sending off the V5 and drivers lisence is a bit of a ballache!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I got mine off eBay, 20.95 for the pair, comes with the correct spacing etc and has the bs stamp and postcode on. And they aren't sharp around the edges , if anything the plastic ones are sharper.
Thanks given by:
And this leads on to another problem! You lot all support people who make plates without the correct documentation. A law that was set up to protect you all by making it difficult for criminals to get false plates made up from a car they have seen on the internet. Because you make it profitable for them to operate illegally you keep them running. If they were only getting orders from "real criminals" it wouldn't be worth them doing it.

Just go into google images and search the colour of your car (red blue white etc), peugeot 306 and 2014 so you get stuff thats recent and still likely to be on the road.

Now in the results ignore the gumtree/ auto trader ones as they might be uninsured on a traders forecourt so you dont want to make a false plate of that reg and then look at the results that are left, most are car forum pics aren't they? Off to ebay for a £10 pair of legal looking false plates then.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 03:55 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: And this leads on to another problem! You lot all support people who make plates without the correct documentation. A law that was set up to protect you all by making it difficult for criminals to get false plates made up from a car they have seen on the internet. Because you make it profitable for them to operate illegally you keep them running. If they were only getting orders from "real criminals" it wouldn't be worth them doing it.

Just go into google images and search the colour of your car (red blue white etc), peugeot 306 and 2014 so you get stuff thats recent and still likely to be on the road.

Now in the results ignore the gumtree/ auto trader ones as they might be uninsured on a traders forecourt so you don't want to make a false plate of that reg and then look at the results that are left, most are car forum pics aren't they? Off to ebay for a £10 pair of legal looking false plates then.

i'm sure it can't get up your arse that much mate, i mean seriously, you can buy show plates anyway, doesn't make a hapeth worth of difference imo, so for anyone interested lots of the ebay ones come stamped up correctly but you don't have to send your docs off . . . . good that they're cheap tbh as i've had a set nicked off two cars now . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Matt it does sadly, people don't see the consequences of their actions. Lots of cars turn up on false plates that have never been reported as stolen. Its probably a London thing as there is lots more ANPR cameras here than in The North and the scrotes probably aren't as tight or stupid. There's no point stealing plates as a stolen plate pings on the ANPR just like a stolen car.

As for the ANPR you cant go anywhere in London without passing through ANPR cameras, you probably wouldn't notice as they don't tend to be as obvious as CCTV cameras.
Thanks given by:
Don't always have to send documents off. I went to a local aircooled VW place who were a dealer for the plate company. They checked my documents and ordered them for me.
Thanks given by:
(20-02-2014, 04:27 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Matt it does sadly, people don't see the consequences of their actions. Lots of cars turn up on false plates that have never been reported as stolen. Its probably a London thing as there is lots more ANPR cameras here than in The North and the scrotes probably aren't as tight or stupid. There's no point stealing plates as a stolen plate pings on the ANPR just like a stolen car.

As for the ANPR you cant go anywhere in London without passing through ANPR cameras, you probably wouldn't notice as they don't tend to be as obvious as CCTV cameras.

yeah but all's i'm saying mate is it's still possible to order show plates that look the same at a glance, that's where your argument falls down pissed as a fart . . Smile x
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
So the long and short of it, is no steel presed plate is "legal" in the UK?

Craigsplates say they are, but there by the book and require v5 and ID to be posted...I really dont like the idea of that...posting v5's around is a pisstake at the best of times...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 01:34 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: So the long and short of it, is no steel presed plate is "legal" in the UK?

Craigsplates say they are, but there by the book and require v5 and ID to be posted...I really dont like the idea of that...posting v5's around is a pisstake at the best of times...

I've read up Darren and they are legal if they have the right marks on them....I'll stand corrected if anyone can prove otherwise Smile
Thanks given by:
always used this guy.. good quality and come with sticky strips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Embossed-Press...27d9a17264
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
Seems like they have chaned their mind about them needing to be plastic. Now just says needs to be reflective material and the characters can be 3D.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pla...ber-plates
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 02:21 PM)adamm306 Wrote: always used this guy.. good quality and come with sticky strips

Who I used, fast delivery and quality
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 02:21 PM)adamm306 Wrote: always used this guy.. good quality and come with sticky strips

Yup...
Me used them too.

Spot on. Passed MOT and recent cop parking next to me!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Seriously though, why do we all want pressed plates, I think they look whack for starters... Just get clean, official, new plates from a reputable source... Why bother with plates that are likely to cause you to get pulled over and attract attention...

It's like driving round with possibly dodgy HIDs in or bluey/white 'xenon style' headlights... It's just asking to get pulled and questioned... Not worth it for 'looking cool' - plenty of other mods that will make your car look different without pissing with nimberplates...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I think illegal HIDs that are illegal, make you look like a chav and blind everyone, and a set of plates which are legal and which will outlast any horrible plastic sticky backed ones is quite a odd comparison Ruan.

Sorry dood, dont agree on this one.

I got mine for the fact I want them to last. And I do think they look much nicer.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think pressed plates look really smart too, also like i said, I've done my research and they are legal as far as I can see so, no problem really . . .Smile
Thanks given by:
They look win on the right car, hence the question. But not worth it if there illegal. I cant see it attracting much attention, and if there legal, who cares if it does, the rest of the car is 100% legal and declared so the officer is welcome to pull over and humiliate himself.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I dont think id describe them as legal but more not illegal.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2014, 05:36 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I dont think id describe them as legal but more not illegal.

If something isnt illegal, then its legal Confused

legislation allows for metal or plastic plates, 3D or 2D, with the right size and spaceing and font. simple.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about number plates to ask you all..... Lwilliams 16 3,834 28-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Lwilliams
  Pressed Plates Jenkosowls 35 5,756 27-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Pete
  Pressed Plates MiiTCH 14 2,237 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Last Post: kingy