Pressed Plates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressed Plates
Always wanted to have pressed plates and most are quite cheap some even being similar cost to halfrauds. But and there always is a but! Always been put off by people being pulled and fined for "illegal number plates" now I must admit this was when they was becoming the trend and didn't contain reflective background etc etc. but now many places are now claiming to have DVLA approved plates with correct bsau code, postcode and reflective background. Now is this a case of saying crap to get business or can this be a fact? Surely a company wouldn't lie?!

One friends logic is to carry you old plates around but this to me is an admission of guilt!

So who's got them? Any problems with them?
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I always thought if they were the correct font the right size the right spacing and reflective they were ok. But others disagree :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
As long as they are the same size letters numbers etc and style its all legal.

I like them and almost had them but my car need a certain size plate no place could make.
Thanks given by:
This has always been a grey area... I seem to remember the whole post code etc no longer being a requirement. When it was, I got mine from Craigsplates and had to send off my documents to get them. I'm sure since then the rules changed. My car has been wearing them for a good 3 years though with no issues. Recently I got some more, this tome from eBay. Came with everything printed still, and again, no problems. Although the police around here are pretty good.

The reflective thing is another matter however, I've heard that the material can be deemed illegal as it doesn't reflect the same. Same old stuff though, down to discretion at the end of the day...
Thanks given by:
Discreations the problem... Up until having the van I'd never had a run in with the police. With 2 weeks of owning the van I was pulled! Reason being "it's an old van"

Thanks given by:
When I had the vectra with pressed plates they told me I had to have the postcode on my plates? And they measured the gap in between the letters! Sad I know!
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Well, it's entirely up to you. I don't think anyone can give a definite answer as it always seems different... All you can do is run them and if they do get picked on, plead ignorance and say "I'll get them changed right away, orificer...". Ignorance isn't an excuse, but it's better than saying you know or carrying spare plates.
Thanks given by:
Again as long as they have the official style, reflective and distance etc they ARE legal.

Here is a company that posted on the detailing forum that do legal ones.
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/uk-legal-p...02fc4dc563

Don't worry, they are more than legal.

END/thread.
Thanks given by:
I can never find the legislation but I'm 99% sure I read that number plates for vehicles made after 1973 (iirc) have to be made of plastic (acrylic whatever it is normal plates are made of) and as such the metal ones and the stick on ones are illegal iregardless of if they conform to all the other regulations. I think it buried in c&u somewhere, maybe its even been repealed.

All the above said mind id put on anything that had the BSAU145dmark as that shows its of the approved type so should get you out of any trouble.
Thanks given by:
I've got some of eBay. Have the codes on and do reflect because I got a fine through the door Sad. Been pulled a few times and never bothered about them. Mine seemed decent but there is bits of the plate that's coming off
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2013, 04:25 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I can never find the legislation but I'm 99% sure I read that number plates for vehicles made after 1973 (iirc) have to be made of plastic (acrylic whatever it is normal plates are made of) and as such the metal ones and the stick on ones are illegal iregardless of if they conform to all the other regulations. I think it buried in c&u somewhere, maybe its even been repealed.

This.

I'm pretty sure it was Warlord from .net that researched into it. Have also seen it on DubGen aswell (as you know, pressed plates are part of the dub scene).

However, most police don't seem to know about it anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
I have a pressed plate on the rear of my car and I'm pretty sure it was on there when Choppin owned the car before me and who he bought the car off as the plate Is tiger sealed on and as of yet *touch wood, I haven't had any problems with the law
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Some pressed plates are completely legal except they are metal instead of plastic. I've got some and never had an issue. Technically they have to be plastic so basically it depends on how much of a wanker the copper is. I've kept the plastic ones in the boot sp I'll just change them at the road side if needs be.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
We run pressed plates on all 3 of our cars have done for 2 or 3 years now, They are the "legal" one's correct text,size,reflectiveness, never had any problems with the plod what so ever,

For some time i had the no number plate on the front of my daily XUD and got stopped twice last summer asking where my plate was, " sorry officer the heat has made my sticky come off and the plate fell off, will put it on when i get home" showed the plod my pressed plate that was on the dash, all they said was ok that fine "make sure you stick back on when you get home" sooo massively grey area !

But the law states must be of plastic construction , but 99% of the time if you drive by a cooper and the AMPR camera reads your plates & all comes up as it should they wont even notice its pressed, They dont really look all the different from a distance

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
you gota clicky linky to them then mr puglove??

fancy me a set
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Buy them from FCS/trax shows etc not sure if they are online, they will prob be at combe next month

Thanks given by:
Puglove what you say about being read by anpr is shit. The Charles whatever font is to make it easy for humans to read. Our anpr reads road signs, adverts, sign written vans, busses, everything.

I'm gonna try and find the legislation now for the construction
Thanks given by:
I always thought thats why it had to be that font other wise the ANPR wouldnt read it? police bull shit one again then!!

But what i said stands though, chances are they wont notice its pressed as you drive by in the opposite direction, iv seen many new plastic plates that i thought were pressed coming in the opposite direction turned out just to be a new plastic plate, and thats what the "legal" pressed ones look like untill you get up close and look

Thanks given by:
nice one DD.
thanks puglove. will bring some cash
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not officially approved law but even these guys argue about it

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/inde...compliant/

This is one of the first forums on google that come under pressed plates. And they seem to think its ok till 2001

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-d...lates.html

Massive grey area!

Thanks given by:
That police forum is for specials who are unpaid volunteer police officers who get just a few weeks training. You wanna find quorum for the bullied at school traffic officers, they will be well suited to internet forums as they are unlikely to have IRL friends.
Thanks given by:
If I recall they tried to put in regs pre 2001...then failed and pulled them.
so if you are pre 2001, so long as the lettering and font and spacing is right, cant see any issues
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I ran my pressed K7 YLP plate for ages on my xud, got pulled plenty of times and nothing got said
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Been running these for last 2 months haven't been pulled yet
Thanks given by:
I used to have some wicked pressed plates on my first 306, wicked until they cost me 60 squid that is. Annoyingly they still got recognised by all the ANPR shit despite being a different font etc. just another form of bollocks we have to put up with, easy prosecution I suppose, then there's the people who take the piss with un-readable fonts making us all look bad. Grrr.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
i've had them for 3 years and never been questioned, both sets have been stolen off my car though.....last ones on Fri.....Sad
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
why would they do that?! what use is that to a skumbag thief?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is this thread still going, how many time does it have to be said, done properly they are LEGAL, if a police officer says oat then they clearly don't know the law well enough but no ones going to court about it are they if done.

They can be made from any material, metal or plastic so people that say plastic are wrong. It says nothing about pressed plates just that it has to be reflective and has correct style and spacing etc.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pla...ber-plates

They get stolen to clone cars etc, always report theft of plates.
Thanks given by:
yeah I did wonder why the question of them being illegal had arisen again.
be worth printing that off though and keeping in the car if you were to be pulled
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've got to say I think I might have to concede that I am wrong. I have had a huge read through a variety of sources (including the PNLD) and the only thing I haven't read is the actual British Standard document. So it looks like the document I'm sure I read has gone or been repealed (or otherwise I'm imagining it). I cant find any details on the spec of the material it just states it must be retroreflective. I guess that means that both metal and stick on plates are perfectly legal (as long as they otherwise conform to the regulations)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressed plates....Legality / Source question... darrenjlobb 52 13,436 25-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Pressed Plates MiiTCH 14 2,235 10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Last Post: kingy