stage 2 clutch options

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stage 2 clutch options
Hi all just wanted to know what clutch options are out there for stage 2 needs doing. Slipping abit now on stage 1. Sachs any good? Or has anyone got any links or other optiobs cheers all.
Thanks given by:
I swear we get 4 of these threads a week, i think theres helix which are expensive but good and they tell you what it will hold and its more than enough for stage 2, theres CG thats a bit unclear about, something about a berlingo clutch and if your gentle a standard valeo might well hold for a while.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
What he said^ and use the search theres enough clutch threads.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you considered a 6 flywheel with an XUD clutch, works well.
Thanks given by:
cg 5 paddle here holding 278lbft easily.
Thanks given by:
It's all about the cg paddle. Cheapish, developed on my old 306 hdi with 358lbft and no slip!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2014, 08:00 PM)jammapic Wrote: It's all about the cg paddle. Cheapish, developed on my old 306 hdi with 358lbft and no slip!

JP

Such mixed reviews about them, wouldnt/couldnt give me any kind of figure as to what it could hold, and wanted more money than helix.
Thanks given by:
Sorry guys didn't mean to rewrite the same thing as everyone else asks. I dont really want to be spending 300 odd quid on a clutch but in sure you can get a reasonable clutch for about 150?
Thanks given by:
definately not more than helix for the paddle, mine was £300 all in. for all three items too

if you want to go stage 2 you will basically have to marginally limit your torque or else quickly destroy the clutch.
Thanks given by:
They told me £450 and told me if i only changed the friction plate i wouldnt increase the torque it could take at all over standard. So i wasnt interested.
Thanks given by:
300 gets you the friction plate, the pressure plate and the bearing bud.
Thanks given by:
They must have not liked me then.
Thanks given by:
Ask for the non custom one
Thanks given by:
Anyone used them stage 2 panther clutch off ebay? 177 quid doesn't look to bad or isit a load of crap?
Thanks given by:
A few have bought them but dont think anyone actually used them. The clutch is probably the one thing on a hdi that you need to spend the money on.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Okay mate guys no problem thankyou.
Thanks given by:
I did realise that it would be the bit I had to pay a fair amount for
Thanks given by:
Imo Sachs or Helix are the way to go, they're both well proven and as a rule you get what you pay for.

Incidentally, Jonny had his sub-10k CG paddle clutch out of the car this weekend and there's not much meat left on it. Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
There never is much meat on a paddle clutch, the wear rate is sooo slow ud be surprised.

I read into this and it is infact normal
Thanks given by:
Helix seem to be the most proven, CG I had problems, and I've just fitted a black diamond kevalr fast road clutch which I have to say drives very nicely, although it is still slipping a tiny bit but I've not had a chance to bed it in fully yet, apparently it takes more than 500 miles and I'm supposed to be nice to it during that period?

It depends if you want drive ability or if you want an all out track car that rips your neck off as soon as you let the clutch up a little bit. Personally I'd rather have a bit less torque and a clutch that I can drive in traffic with. Obviously there is also the D-turbo clutch conversion with the GTI 6 flywheel, not sure how good those are though...?
Thanks given by:
I use the cg day in day out in traffic , as I travel peak times 17 mile to uni (45 minutes in traffic or more) and the same on the way home at 5 o clock, the clutch didnt need bedding in either which was great for me, no slippage at all.

I think they done a bad bunch for 306's in their earlier days but the vag fellas have gave them.good reviews and I cant really fault them lol.

Helix are proven as you say, but end up being costly after buying all three bits seperately
Thanks given by:
Yes that's the problem, the Helix clutches are so expensive.
We have a full paddle in the 1.4 HDI which I don't enjoy driving, and the dual friction plate (half paddle half normal) in the 2.0 with a heavy stage 2 and it slips still, although if you get it nice and hot it seems to hold better but can still slip. That dual plate is a lot nicer to drive though.
The 1.4 clutch rattles and makes a horrible noise on idle until the clutch is dipped, squeaks sometimes when pulling away too, their customer support didn't seem too interested on either of the issues when I contacted them which is why I thought I would try someone else.
It's a shame helix don't make anything for the 1.6, they told me it's at the bottom of their to do list too because they have Ferraris etc to make them for and obviously they will make a load of money out of that!
Thanks given by:
Yeah understandable on the money side of things.

Strange that it rattles, did you ring them or email? I found on the phone they didnt seem too impressive but were rather helpful through email.

I assume its cause they get a load of calls on the phone that come to nothing or the likes.

And was the rattle there from tbe start or did it come on after some use? Sounds like a release bearing hope mine doesnt end up this way
Thanks given by:
It wasn't there immediately I don't think, more like a couple of weeks. I think we emailed about another query and mentioned this and they ignored it. Most likely the bearing though as you said because it goes when you put pressure on it, either way we couldn't really be bothered to get the thing out again for a rattle (and it's my brothers car) so we kind of just left it, plus I don't think there is an alternative uprated clutch for that one.

For the price and for track car applications here you can get it nice and hot they are great clutches, just not for every day road use in my opinion, it depends on how fussy you are. After having a poly urethane engine mount vibrate my car to pieces for 6 months I decided to go fo the comfort option in all future upgrades!
Thanks given by:
Lol poly bushed engine mounts, no thankssss!

I find it gets more snatchy/grabby as it heats up, but it takes all the abuse I can throw at it so far lol!

Im just a power whore so couldn't have the risk of it slipping lol
Thanks given by:
McGlynn, is yours a sprung paddle clutch? Iirc it's normal for the unsprung ones to rattle, they're not designed for road use after all.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Indeed it is, very good point! Poor transmission if thats the case lol
Thanks given by:
Ive disided to go for the cg dual friction clutch kit so will let you know how I get on sounds a good set up so will see.
Thanks given by:
You dont need the dual friction one its over kill unless you plan to severely tune this (stage 3+)
Thanks given by:
Yeh I know but id rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best clutch for stage 2 L16rye 4 2,311 15-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Clutch kit Stage 2 ? MrBigMac 54 9,741 28-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi
  Stage 2 Clutch Chris HDI 15 3,634 23-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Last Post: ct-hdi