everything stays on when keys out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
everything stays on when keys out
I no this problem is to do with my stereo basically when I turn car off and remove key from the ignition the stereo stays on and heaters etc and the battery light stays on but if I unplug my stereo from the block everything goes off anyone no how to solve this problem??
Thanks given by:
Check the earths behind the stereo
Thanks given by:
Is your radio standard or have you just fitted a aftermarket? sounds like you have joined the perm live and switched together
Thanks given by:
You need to be very careful here. This is a common symptom of water damaged fans plug which allows the cabling to back feed and generally sets fire to your car!
Unplug the round multi plug going into the fan cowling (passenger side behind the rad) and check the pins on both connectors. If any have any sort of corrosion, clean them up (lighter fluid is good for this), get them spotless, plug it back in again and then cover in something like white grease. Just something to keep the water out.

As i said, there have been instances of peoples 306s burning out completely with symptoms like this so i wouldn't hang about with it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
its after market but the car came with an aftermarket one and was fine this stereo did this in my last car so i no it defo the stereo i will get a pic of the stereo wire block

when i unplug this one everything turns off like it should when you take the key out
Thanks given by:
Sounds very ropey to me. Personally, i'd be considering chucking that HU out and getting another one! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
its new
Thanks given by:
anyone??
Thanks given by:
Has anyone wired anything else off of the original stereo loom?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Why is the yellow AND red wires in the same slot in that plug? Surely that's just shorting the live and switched live, unless those colours are different.
Thanks given by:
Is that pic on the stereo side of the loom? As Tom says, seems a bit odd that there are 2 wires in the same slot, don't recall having seen anything like that before. Confused
Thanks given by:
no the original loom is fine never been touched and tom i have no idea why it is like that is that whats causing the problem?

that pick is where it plugs in to the car
Thanks given by:
I'd be inclined to check your loom against one thats known to work....my guess is that loom has been modified for some reason. If i get chance, i might whip my HU out tomorrow and get a pic of my loom for you, but i cba right at this moment. lol
Thanks given by:
Where does that yellow lead that is in pin 7 with the red lead to?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
its a new looking loom and no signs of it being modded :/
Thanks given by:
Just because its new doesn't mean its right for the car. Where does that yellow wire run to? Can you get a pic of the entire adaptor loom please.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Aftermarket joining loom should be like this - [Image: Photo-0080.jpg]

Can't really see any need for two power leads in the same plug tbh....as Niall says, where do they go?
Thanks given by:
il take a pic of the full thing

[attachment=12895]
Thanks given by:
Cut that extra yellow wire which goes into pin 7 with the red cable. I bet its back feeding a permanent live when you switch the car off keeping everything on. Why they have done that i don't know!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
il try that tmoro and let you no what happens thanks mate
Thanks given by:
Yup, Nialls right (as always Big Grin )...I'd also remove that extra yellow.
Thanks given by:
Dont remove it completely as its obviously been put there for a reason. Just chop it and terminate both ends.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah that's what I meant, just poorly worded lol.
Thanks given by:
Id remove it totaly, it was a mistake by the looks of it
Thanks given by:
(18-01-2014, 09:14 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Id remove it totaly, it was a mistake by the looks of it

Just cut it. It may be there for a reason that we haven't thought of. Won't get in the way. Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(18-01-2014, 09:34 PM)Niall Wrote:
(18-01-2014, 09:14 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Id remove it totaly, it was a mistake by the looks of it

Just cut it. It may be there for a reason that we haven't thought of. Won't get in the way. Smile

This. If you just cut it and insulate both ends, if it turns out we're wrong, it can be easily reconnected. Wink
Thanks given by:
Wrong? How dare you. I was only ever wrong once and that was when I thought I was wrong Wink
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
What could that wire ever possibly be for in a 306, apart from making everything stay on?
Thanks given by:
Could lengthen it to feed a boost gauge light maybe? lol

I wonder if it's there to avoid having to swap the red and yellow (so in theory it would work on every car) but surely they'd realise putting a sw live and perm live together would cause other issues. Confused
Thanks given by:
problem solved Smile i just have to turn it on and off manually :/ theres no remote wire il put a pic up

[attachment=12899]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Programming keys to different BSI allye 8 2,596 26-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Reprogramming car keys deggerz 2 997 28-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Last Post: deggerz
  keys and central locking azzaboi306 11 3,584 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: rtha6551