painting advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
painting advice
Right so im looking at doing somr painting on the bianca xsi. A large area and i want to do a propa job no rattle can rubish. But up untill now this is all i have done. After looking around at paint iv realised i have no idea what im looking

what would you recomend, primer, paint & clear . And does any have any recomended suppliers?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
find your local trade supplier, they'll sort you out.

you need a clean dust free preferably heated workspace, with extractor fan.

read up on the different types of paint, i.e water based vs 2k, remembering that 2k will need full suit and respirator, not just face mask.
Thanks given by:
self leveling primer is always a win and you need to rub back the primer before you start to apply the paint you chose
Thanks given by:
Pay someone to do it. This is you we are talking about

:p
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Please, his name isn't sean you know Tongue
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: avy3usyh.jpg]

Tongue
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
We aint all that rough pete Wink

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Find a local paint suppliers they will answer most questions

You want cellulose paint 2k is extremely poisonous

You mix your base coat 50/50 half paint half thinners except the clear coat that goes on straight out the tin

It's all in the prep, flat it down primer it then put a light dust of any colour on, this helps find high spots, sand it till all the paints gone

Put top coat on and wet sand once dry to remove orange peel then laquer

That's the basics if you need any more help give me a shout
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
You wont need clear coat, just get 2k paint. i used jawel on ebay. Search for EWP 2k paint on ebay
Thanks given by:
I guess you have a gun and compressor?

ensure you have a very good water trap as its a bitch without one.

also need to get that garage of yours nice n warm with extraction or a air fed mask
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2013, 05:25 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: You wont need clear coat, just get 2k paint. i used jawel on ebay. Search for EWP 2k paint on ebay

not necessarily true, it depends the paint system, 2K base coat + clearcoat is a the most common and generally the only way to do metallics/pearls etc successfully, also while 2K is poisonous ( isocyanide) I wouldn't say a full suit and air fed mask are necessary, some extraction, a suitable vapor/gas mask (not just a particle/dust mask) plus gloves and eye protection should suffice for the occasional user
And as stated your local trade paint supplier/motor factor will offer the best advice, but some factors will only supply paint to the trade and not the DIY user.
Thanks given by:
He is looking to paint blanca white, being a soild colour it requires no lacquer.

You take the same precautions when painting with 2k paint as you would with lacquer(all paint really) as 2k is nothing but coloured lacquer

He has loads of good videos
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 04:10 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: He is looking to paint blanca white, being a soild colour it requires no lacquer.

You take the same precautions when painting with 2k paint as you would with lacquer(all paint really) as 2k is nothing but coloured lacquer

solid colours can still be applied basecoat / lacquer, I've just colour coded my Nissan Primatar van using a white base and clearcoat, and I agree precautions should be taken when using any kind of solvent I just think with some care and common sense you can get away with basic PPE, afterall how many DIY painters have access to a spray booth with extraction and air fed respirator ?

He has loads of good videos
Thanks given by:
Crap photos but it shows mine, i did that at home with almost no experience, if i was to do it again i would pay someone who knows what there doing, thankfully its white and i find it the easiest colour to paint

[img][Image: 2012-09-07145539.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: 20130921_160318_zpse78521c2.jpg][/img]
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 06:04 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Crap photos but it shows mine, i did that at home with almost no experience, if i was to do it again i would pay someone who knows what there doing, thankfully its white and i find it the easiest colour to paint

[img][Image: 2012-09-07145539.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: 20130921_160318_zpse78521c2.jpg][/img]

painting small components (trim, bumpers, etc) is one thing a whole car is something else entirely it's very difficult to get a half decent finish as a DIY project, to be honest (and I know pics can be deceptive) it looks like you've done a pretty good job
Thanks given by:
The bonnet and roof are the hardest, just dont use a DA sander, it must all be done by hand or you will endup with ripples

Filling the doors and boot was also fun

[img][Image: 2012-09-07145548.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: 2012-09-07145609.jpg][/img]
Thanks given by:
Fair play to you mate, looks like a good job. All done outside?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Most of the sanding was, just to keep the dust out of the shed. i put plastic sheets on the walls and soaked the floor when spraying
Thanks given by:
i sprayed the interior of my old 106 and it came out looking decent. but i will never take on such a job again, it's one of those things that a professional is just always going to do far, far better.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painting/wrapping interior trim Iceman299 4 1,424 04-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Slam Wagon
  Painting outside blaze_the_6 10 2,375 09-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: blaze_the_6
  Spoiler DIY Painting Advice MY95 14 3,528 16-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii