not starting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
not starting
Hi all , Ive had a scout around the forum to see if i can find any similar issues that people have had and cant find a definite or clear answer.

I was out last night and the car was running absolutely fine , decided to have a race with 200bhp+ merc (and beat i may add Wink ) and then afterwards pulled up and shut off.

I then left it for 10 mins or so and then went to restart it , i usually wait every time for the glow plugs to do there thing , and the start. but it didnt start.

Tried turning off and then letting glow plugs go again , even though the engine will have been red hot from the rag before. It finally fired up after me planting my foot to the floor , but did it with a lot of white smoke and some really bad knocking and then ran fine and i drove home. I decided to check the timing last night and that seems all fine apart from the upper timing mark on the pump pulley being quite tight and same with the cam. I then rebuilt all the left side after checking the timing and gave it another try. Nothing this time , not even a cough or splutter.

Hope this is just something daft and not any engine damage of some sort , i worry way too much Sad

Any help would be much appreciated , Thanks

Lewis
Thanks given by:
What do you mean by "the upper timing mark on the pump pulley being quite tight"
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2013, 11:20 AM)colin247 Wrote: What do you mean by "the upper timing mark on the pump pulley being quite tight"

Trying to screw a bolt into the 1st timing mark is a bit tight, the other one just screws in with issues , but that one screws in as if its the wrong type of thread kind of feeling. I am using the inter cooler bolts so should be the right thread. you know what i mean ?
Thanks given by:
Try locking the flywheel and releasing the belt tensioner, check it by bolting the pump then the camshaft.
Thanks given by:
Would the timing being out a tooth really cause the car not to start at all though? Tonight I have checked my dodgy wire that runs from the loom to the start stop solenoid and that is okay, next think to do is check the solenoid it's self I think , I stood behind the car and watched for any smoke and there wasn't any when he turned if over which seems to me like there is no fuel being delivered to the engine? I may be wrong though?
Thanks given by:
Take solenoid plunger out and try that will eliminate that as a problem or simply put a seperate 12v source to the solenoid. If it clicks it's fine.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Is it okay running it with no plunger then mate? I'll still be able to turn the f*cker off if it fires? And will do this either tomorrow or on the weekend! Smile
Thanks given by:
You'll want it in gear and your foot on the clutch ThumbsUp
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
ask willJspears sounds a bit like the problem he had not so long ago
Thanks given by:
Cheers for your help lads , and I'll see if I can get in contact with him daniel909 , cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Are you running a lucas or Bosch pump ? The stop solenoid on the lucas is such a ball ache to get to.
Thanks given by:
No worries , i got this sorted last week , turned out to be the main feed wire to the glow plugs had snapped. I'm guessing it was down to heat and vibration. For any one who has a problem with the car not starting, this is definitely something else that shouldn't be overlooked.

The wire from the loom to the stop solenoid (bosch) was also a little bit cut and bruised. It is bodged seen as I have converted from lucas and had to bypass the immobiliser etc.

Thanks for your help and concern anyway lads Smile
Thanks given by:
This is a great example of why you shouldnt jump to conclusions!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: