getting to 130-150bhp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting to 130-150bhp
another question which probably gets asked to death but anyway.

what would be needed to get to a reliable (used daily ) 130-150bhp from my little ZX
Thanks given by:
turn everything up

(oh n a straight through exhaust and fiddle with lda)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
straight pipe, 9mm bosch, and a mild tune.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2013, 08:12 PM)padge Wrote: straight pipe, 9mm bosch, and a mild tune.

not on standard turbo, going to pushing some heat otherwise

do some research soo many threads about,
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
quite a few have achieved 130-135bhp on standard pump n turbo n tmic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese for one been running 130bhp for a few years now i think!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
what about the 150 barrier
Thanks given by:
get yourself a bigger turbo

td04 is the proven cheap route to 175+
Thanks given by:
for anything 150+ you want a bigger turbo, TD04.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
simple bolt on turbo or would it need some fab work
Thanks given by:
Td04 is from a Subaru impreza so will need modifying to fit have a search loads of info
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
There are some adaptor plates knocking about which make it bolt on, or you can make your own - no big deal
Thanks given by:
See you said reliable in your post. I would be avoiding a big turbo if you really rely on your car.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2013, 09:04 PM)Tom Wrote: See you said reliable in your post. I would be avoiding a big turbo if you really rely on your car.

a big turbo well with in its efficiency range is going to be more reliable than a small/standard turbo screaming its nuts off trying to flow the same amount of air
Thanks given by:
I ment engine internals staying internal.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
if things stay cooler the internals are more likely to stay internal though, problem with running a big turbo is the temptation to push it more to where rods become road ornaments.
Thanks given by:
I think the amount of air the bigger turbos throwing in will cause more trouble than just heat?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
not always dood...

a large turbo in its efficiency range will be much better for the internals every time than a tiny t2 @ 24/25psi+ and will see better power.

Now I got my stats sorted my 2.1 is boosted by the GT2056s...at 1.1bar...about 15psi.
But it never goes above 83/84degrees when being caned and see my latest video to show performance.

...but on the other hand...rods have gone on peeps on small and large turbos alike....then matt runs 130ish bhp for years
However I would be keen to see someone run a td04 or gt20 of somesort at sensible psi and see what reliability it has
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah the turbo will be happy but surely theres more air going into the cylinders so more strain on the rods?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
so explain why rods go on untuned and well maintained xuds...luck of the draw.
but for reliable 130+ bhp...you need a bigger/better turbo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
For 130 i disagree. For 150 your pushing your luck with the turbo. But then i think a bigger turbo brings its own risks.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
looks like i will be hunting for a 9mm bosch instead then if the 11mm will be abit of a over kill or is the perfect excuse to hunt down a different turbo Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
are you running a lucas then?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeah standard shizzle for 130+ as i've proven, but i will agree with Piggy for once, i think a td04 run at not stupid psi will be reliable too, which is exactly what i plan to do, about 150-160bhp and i think it will live . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
running like for like (small turbo being pushed) a large turbo wil be more efficient and safer for the engine.

pushing the larger turbo will bring in more problems,

on my second engine I ran it at a sensible 1.3 bar (T25 + 11mm) for a long time with no problems at all, and was quickish

running off the gauge 2bar+ lasted a week ... a fun week
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2013, 10:54 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: running like for like (small turbo being pushed) a large turbo wil be more efficient and safer for the engine.

pushing the larger turbo will bring in more problems,

on my second engine I ran it at a sensible 1.3 bar (T25 + 11mm) for a long time with no problems at all, and was quickish

running off the gauge 2bar+ lasted a week ... a fun week

Haha, it's so tempting to go for that little extra bit!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Smaller turbo running at a higher pressure equals more heat, more strain put on the engine via the exhaust... Since you're getting so much less air into the engine as it's so much less dense.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Running the K14-2 for a while now, car still runs like a clock, 24-26psi Smile It doesn't like low rpm's though :p

On the standard K14 I got it to 115 bhp with just fuelling and a straight through, so 130 should be easy with wastegate adjustment and an fmic
[Image: Image423_zps1ac08bc4-1_zps15c76431.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stock rods 150bhp? pugtk 6 1,501 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Last Post: mr_fish
  I want 150bhp, what can i do? RePT 33 7,356 23-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Last Post: RePT