Help on fuelling! URGENT HELP NEEDED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help on fuelling! URGENT HELP NEEDED
Hi guys,

So I've has to pull over and call the RAC as the car is revving it's balls off. It sounds like it's going to run away.

They will most likely get here and scratch their heads when I ask them to turn down the fuel, so
Can someone please advise what needs to be done by them? What needs to be turned and where?

Thanks!! Xxx
Thanks given by:
Max fuel screw is the one on the right hand side of the pump and has a 13mm lock nut. But I'd look elsewhere first, is the throttle arm jammed or something? Check idle screws too.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Stolen from Dan!s guide.

[Image: boschmaxfuel.png]
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 08:13 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Max fuel screw is the one on the right hand side of the pump and has a 13mm lock nut. But I'd look elsewhere first, is the throttle arm jammed or something? Check idle screws too.

Thanks Jonny.

The cars fuelling has been playing up recently. It's been behaving itself most of the time but occasionally it revs higher than usual.
Today though it's revving really really high, Id say about 4k, possibly higher.

Throttle arm is fine. And the idle screw is ok...

(09-10-2013, 08:18 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Stolen from Dan!s guide.

[Image: boschmaxfuel.png]

Perfect, thank you!
Thanks given by:
could be running away . . . . .:o
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Do you know how much its been turned up?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
The RAC man noticed that the max fuel screw nut was loose... Not sure how that happened as it was done up.
He thinks that's the reason why it's been erratic.

He gave it a quick tune and it seems ok, the engine was warm so I'll have to see how it starts tonight; it's extremely different hot and cold...
Thanks given by:
If its very hard to start hot and cold the rac man has wound it in too much so wind it out a bit more just make sure you properly lock off the lock nut this time.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 10:06 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If its very hard to start hot and cold the rac man has wound it in too much so wind it out a bit more just make sure you properly lock off the lock nut this time.

I've got a feeling he probably might've wound it in a bit too much as it was idling 'low' when he had done it.
The issue I have is that I don't have any tools on me, hence why I called the RAC in the first place Sad
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 10:06 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If its very hard to start hot and cold the rac man has wound it in too much so wind it out a bit more just make sure you properly lock off the lock nut this time.

Chris means wound it out too much . . . .and if it is hard to start you should wind it IN . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 10:58 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

Chris means wound it out too much . . . .and if it is hard to start you should wind it IN . .Smile

Yeah, either in or out; I don't have the tools!

Would I be able to start it and let it warm up then it'll be ok do you think??
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 11:00 AM)MissTap_GTI6 Wrote:

Would I be able to start it and let it warm up then it'll be ok do you think??

Can't you move the pivot arm to the hot/cold side anyway? /iknownothingaboutbosch
Thanks given by:
Fuel must be turned up alot to be having issues like that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

(09-10-2013, 11:00 AM)MissTap_GTI6 Wrote:

i have something that i think could help with that . . .Wink
Thanks given by:
Ok, lets shed some REAL light onto this... It's an issue which has been around for a week or so and genuinely puzzles me, never known anything like this.

Some symptoms;
- High idle, gradually increases over 30minutes or so after being on long drives and warming up
- Idle reduces back down after the engine/car cools down

Since the above, i noticed the previous owner of the pump had removed all idle control (ie hot/cold idle screws) so i added an idle screw, and turned the throttle arm down to it's lowest position (so the idle is controlled via the lever arm, rather than the throttle arm)

This then helped for a short time and thought we had seen the end of the high idle until today. Not entirely sure what the RAC man has done except turn the fuel down? But now is significantly down on power and is generally dangerous as it's difficult to merge traffic and roads.

I don't think, actually, almost certain the engine isn't "running away" otherwise it would be a regular occurance and wouldn't persist a gradual idle, moreover, an instant increase and eratic "offyourhead" idle..

Any other ideas as to what it could be
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
is the stat cable still connected to the pump? Would of said its to do with the idle pivot on the back of the pump.
Thanks given by:
Is it running veg? I find on veg it starts lumpy and then as it warms up it goes to a high idle and has more low down power so it will pull itself along in 3rd, when on diesel it would just stall.

The only time I have experienced these types of symptoms is when I turned the fuel up as high as it would go, the revs would start to "hang" so to speak which resulted in it staying at certain revs for a second or so before setting again.

You do realise the max fuel screw doesn't go all the way in? When it is what looks like half way it is actually all the way if you see what I mean? I only say this because I used to think it would go right in but the leverset doesn't even move that far lol

As an aside, I didn't know RAC do IDI DERV tuning now Big Grin Must be a new thing, maybe next time I need a tune I'll call them out Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Sorry got my ins and outs wrong.

Anyway I've gotta say it just sounds badly tuned pump. Out of interest when was the last time the filter was changed?

If you want me to have a look at it and tune it properly feel free to pop up.
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 03:37 PM)mr_fish Wrote: is the stat cable still connected to the pump? Would of said its to do with the idle pivot on the back of the pump.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^ . .Smile
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 03:54 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Sorry got my ins and outs wrong.

Anyway I've gotta say it just sounds badly tuned pump. Out of interest when was the last time the filter was changed?

If you want me to have a look at it and tune it properly feel free to pop up.

Good call Chris, when my fuel filter was blocked it made the engine do some weird things that had me check the timing umpteen times and source a new fuel pump before taking it to KrisB just to get the fuel filter changed!
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2013, 03:37 PM)mr_fish Wrote: is the stat cable still connected to the pump? Would of said its to do with the idle pivot on the back of the pump.

This was my next POA.
I told Eli I was to fit one, but never had one connected before.

Unsure of how they wire up, but I'll try get to the scrappy this weekend and nab one
Thanks given by:
Don't suppose it could be an air leak? Would explain why its worse when hot.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
As in fuel/air leak?

The 205 is in the same boat (well was) had a pretty narley air ingress, started rough but never shot a high idle..

I'll bleed the system again at weekend
Thanks given by:
narr like you say, air wouldn't make it idle high, sounds like the idle control has been set up very wrong, ie back to front lol
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, im just going on what I was told by all the.xud boys when I had a similar problem. Fixing the air leak definitely solved it tbf.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 06:24 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: narr like you say, air wouldn't make it idle high, sounds like the idle control has been set up very wrong, ie back to front lol

Would say this. ^^

I wouldn't of said you'd need to fit a cold start cable. I haven't got one on the 206 and it starts fine. Just give the pump a tweak of fuel and she'll be reet.
Thanks given by:

And this is where Dum discovered he likes chicks with dicks.

Eli, I'll move this to the correct section. Get it wrong once more and I ban ginger for life from here.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 10:16 AM)Niall Wrote:

Eli, I'll move this to the correct section. Get it wrong once more and I ban ginger for life from here.
Woah, what's this got to do with me? lol
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 10:19 AM)Scott Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 10:16 AM)Niall Wrote:

Woah, what's this got to do with me? lol

Tarnished with the same copper brush!! Wink

Look Niall, I was in a state of panic yesterday and really CBA to work tapafail to my needs.
Thanks given by:
If someone's removed the anti stall spring (or released it right back) then it's much easier to run the pump close to its limits of max fuel, and if your engines cold then it's probably pulling charge from the alternator stopping it running away slightly, so as you let off above 3k or so when it's warm it may not have enough gov control to bring it back down, just my shed of light I've had this happen to me.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urgent help needed, belt tensioner aux. Easy Spoonaltap 4 1,957 15-03-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: maxaret
Exclamation needed urgent, standard turbo to tmic pipe! Mattcheese31 12 4,425 30-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  urgent help needed! - not needed anymore! Ricky 6 1,835 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Ricky