Creaks, Rattles, Knocks and the MOT!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creaks, Rattles, Knocks and the MOT!
I've got my first MOT tomorrow on my 306, it's all in good shape pretty much, but I've got a mysterious rattle from the front, everything is tight as it should be, new balljoints drop links, track rod ends, p bushes, top mounts etc, it has just still got some odd noises coming from it!

It being an older car, as long as everything passes the wiggle test and no obvious corrosion, are these odd noises allowed? They are more apparent when driving, so in the static scenario of the MOT they shouldn't really be a problem?

It's a 2000 year car, and have taken the cat and the backbox out of it, so hopefully that will distract the tester enough (and still pass with those bits gone!)
Thanks given by:
i think you just need one box in the exhaust to pass so should be fine! the mysterious noise could be the aftermarket cat knocking on the subframe? that seems fairly common!
Thanks given by:
I'd just stick it through and let them do the detective work for the rattle.

Worst case scenario it will fail, they will tell you what on, you fix it and get free retest Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ive spent hours numerous times looking for a really annoying knock on the mrs NAD...Im actually hoping the MOT finds it tomorrow lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Can't take it home and still get the free retest though, but will be good to see it in black and white.
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2013, 05:10 PM)tigerstyle Wrote: Can't take it home and still get the free retest though, but will be good to see it in black and white.

You get 2 weeks free retest

(03-10-2013, 04:08 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ive spent hours numerous times looking for a really annoying knock on the mrs NAD...Im actually hoping the MOT finds it tomorrow lol

Think it's common as mine rattles etc but just part of the car now lol

Thanks given by:
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Partial retest fees may be charged, I can't see a garage taking the nice line and not charging you!
Thanks given by:
i've never been charged for a retest
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
ive never been charged for a retest either.
Thanks given by:
ahhh cool, I've not had a car tested in years, and my last truck failed in a pretty big way anyway!
Thanks given by:
As above never known any one to charge a retest fee.

Thanks given by:
I work at a garage, never charge for retests, you get 10 working days, not including Saturdays to return Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
It depends on what it fails on, as a general rule if it needs to go back on the system - for instance brakes or emissions, then a partial fee will be charged. (If the car is taken away and brought back).

As usual though it may depend on the garage.
Thanks given by: