peugeot 306 2.0 16V timing belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
peugeot 306 2.0 16V timing belt
I need to change the timing belt on my peugeot 306 estate which is with 2.0 16v engine. I will change the whole timing belt kit and also the water pump. I have looked in haynes manual and in autodata about fitting the new belt, but i dont have the SEEM tool. I think i will use the finger metod, i will bend the belt at the front site, but i am confused from some things:
In autodata it says that you tenssion should be 45SEEMS than you rotate the engine and insert the lock pins and the tenssion should be 26 SEEMS and at the end it says you check the tension and it should be like 32-40SEEMS.
So do i need this whole thing or I can just adjust it so it can't bent more than 90* rotate the engine and just recheck the tension? Or tell me the right way...
Thx
Thanks given by:
thats what I would do.

put it all on. tension to the 90*, turn engine by hand twice then relock pins and retension to 90* twist.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The longer belt kit (136 tooth) has an automatic tensioner with it.

If your car has the 135 tooth kit, you'll need anextra M8 by 40mm bolt to hold the new type of tensioner pulley on though. Can't remember the details, but the fixing for the 135 tooth tensioner is slightly different.
Thanks given by:
There are 136 and 137 tooth belts Wink
Thanks given by:
Doh! You get the idea. Go for the long one.
Thanks given by:
This is the current belt, i think it can be twisted only 90* but it seems to me like it is too loosy. Here are some videos

What do you think?
Thanks given by:
HI

I was told by euro car parts that there was a mod by peugeot on the XU petrol engine timing belt kits that replaced the standard type tensioner for the needle type variant that removed the need for the tension tool. From memory if you have that type of tensioner you set it to maximum tension, turn the engine over twice by hand, refit the timing pins then re tension so that the needle sits in the middle. Remove the timing pins turn over twice again, re check the tension. That is what i have fitted to my 1.8 16v at present.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timing belt Tensioner Bolt crazydave 5 2,235 08-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: crazydave
  Timing Belt with water pump kit mackat 13 2,725 24-04-2016, 06:36 AM
Last Post: mackat
  Timing Belt Kit paulgtt 7 1,647 21-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Last Post: miles