Racing slicks FTL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racing slicks FTL
Toms306 Wrote:Lol, the thing is it still has about 5mm in the centre 3 quarters (the mot bit) but was run low on air for a while so has terrible edgewear....but how often do you run on the edges at the back lol? :think:

Is it just me that's shocked that Tom has made a post that doesn't contain:
1) shit about his golf
2) shit about another golf he MIGHT buy
3) shit about MPG
4) shit about how he doesn't like leaving his village
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Lol, the thing is it still has about 5mm in the centre 3 quarters (the mot bit) but was run low on air for a while so has terrible edgewear....but how often do you run on the edges at the back lol? :think:

Is it just me that's shocked that Tom has made a post that doesn't contain:
1) shit about his golf
3) shit about MPG

Funny thing is I'm not shocked that you didn't provide a helpful answer.... :yawn:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:Is it just me that's shocked that Tom has made a post that doesn't contain:
1) shit about his golf
3) shit about MPG

Funny thing is I'm not shocked that you didn't provide a helpful answer.... :yawn:

Ah but the only helpful answer there is to this post is
"your a idiot fr letting your tyre get like that and you should get a new one straight away"

And I think you will find that I do provide some helpful answers instead of turning the question to golf related chat

Love you Tom Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
declantg Wrote:
Midnightclub Wrote:Woulda been 3 points per tyre!

Yeah i know, Its only this tire thats like this though, all others are fine
Well considering you didn't actually check this one are you sure you checked the others? Are you also sure that your test wasn't something like this? "Are they tyres? Yes, they're tyres".

[Image: wood_large.jpg?1269562488]
Thanks given by:
Haha, I didn't let it get like that.....I bought the wheels with it like that! Tongue

Seriously though....someone must know if edgewear is actually illegal? :think:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Haha, I didn't let it get like that.....I bought the wheels with it like that! Tongue

The way I understand it, providing 75% of the tread surface is within the limit, your ok providing there is no thread bare
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Your right Niall but still if its nearly smooth i would change it
Phase 1 306 Dturbo Sigma Blue a.k.a THE LADY

[Image: redranger.jpg]
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Haha, I didn't let it get like that.....I bought the wheels with it like that! Tongue

The way I understand it, providing 75% of the tread surface is within the limit, your ok providing there is no thread bare

Hmm, that's what I was thinking too.....I'm just worried there'll be coppers at the meet tomorow lol, and don't want points and fine for a tyre! :o
Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:Your right Niall but still if its nearly smooth i would change it
NEARLY smooth? lmao ill take a pic tomoro lol.
Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:Your right Niall but still if its nearly smooth i would change it

In all fairness, some tyres are designed that way.
I had michelin pilot sport 2s on my old Saab. They were new when I got it and I got a advisory on the mot for shoulder wear even though they just looked like that!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
eeek if there is police tomorrow they will tell you its bald despite you saying that 75% of it is ok they wont listen seriously mate i would get it changed and Tom what make is it??

yeah they are designed that way Niall your right

Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:eeek if there is police tomorrow they will tell you its bald despite you saying that 75% of it is ok they wont listen seriously mate i would get it changed and Tom what make is it??

yeah they are designed that way Niall your right

Oooooor, I could just avoid the meet lol. Wink

Goodyear eagle nct 5
Thanks given by:
Goodyears are good tyres ( i would say that i worked for them lol), you said you drove it when it was low on air how low was it???

Thanks given by:
For MOT purposes there needs to be 1.6mm or above across the the central 75% of the tyre. For mr policeman there needs to be 1.6mm or above across the entirety. So yes, edge wear is illegal.
Thanks given by:
Yeah basically what Curt said sorry tom looks like you need a new one

Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:Goodyears are good tyres ( i would say that i worked for them lol), you said you drove it when it was low on air how low was it???

No I said the previous owner drove it low! Was about 12psi when I got it cos the valve was shite. The damage had already been done. But I had the valve replaced anyway.

Goodyears aren't that great tbh, they're bloody awful on the frornt and they're nearly new!

Curt if that's true then ill have to stick a 15" on instead.....didn't realise it was illegal, fml.
Thanks given by:
It is and it isnt illigel its a bit of a grey area tbh you have MOT stations telling you that 75% needs to be above 1.6 (personally i change mine at 2mm) and the the police saying its bald and needs changing so its a no win situation im afraid

and with regards to the goodyears had them on my 205 gti were brand new when i put them on and boy did they get 7000 miles of hammer and they still had about 5mm on when the car finally bit the dust just depends what you prefer like i said im biased towards goodyear and dunlop lol

Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:It is and it isnt illigel its a bit of a grey area tbh you have MOT stations telling you that 75% needs to be above 1.6 (personally i change mine at 2mm) and the the police saying its bald and needs changing so its a no win situation im afraid

and with regards to the goodyears had them on my 205 gti were brand new when i put them on and boy did they get 7000 miles of hammer and they still had about 5mm on when the car finally bit the dust just depends what you prefer like i said im biased towards goodyear and dunlop lol

They're probably alright on a petrol like your 205 but the bloody golf puts too many torques through them! Doh
(yes niall I said golf...)
Thanks given by:
lol like i said biased lol

Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:but how often do you run on the edges at the back lol? :think:

All the feckin' time, it's a trailing arm with no camber compensation, 's why my last pair of rears looked like this...

[Image: Tyres.jpg]
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Is it just me that's shocked that Tom has made a post that doesn't contain:
1) shit about his golf
3) shit about MPG

Fair play Tom. I think he destroyed you there Niall!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Quote fail Jim Tongue
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I dd realise but couldn't be bothered to change it!
Thanks given by:
Theres another 1000 miles in that declan lmao
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:but how often do you run on the edges at the back lol? :think:

All the feckin' time, it's a trailing arm with no camber compensation, 's why my last pair of rears looked like this...

[Image: Tyres.jpg]

F*ck.. :o ....but I'm not rallying in mine lol Tongue .......also, its not torsion bar on the golf so does that make a difference?
Thanks given by:
have checked all my other tyres and they are ok. one will need to be done soon but it still well in legal limit
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Dec, was that the original tyre from when the car came out the factory? I saw slicks at Snetterton yesterday that had more tread than that.
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
declantg Wrote:have checked all my other tyres and they are ok. one will need to be done soon but it still well in legal limit

Is that your legal limit or the legal limit?
Thanks given by:
No i changed my tyres over just before pugnets christmas meet. Cant understand why its only this one that has worn?

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
And to the actual legal limit lol

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Club racing categories PugLee 6 1,858 12-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Lawn mower racing ROBCAT 9 2,109 12-04-2016, 09:23 AM