Possibly Getting a Work Van

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Getting a Work Van
Morning all,

Right so currently as most know I work as a Project/Technical Manager for a Borhole Drilling company.

As the company has grown, the role has expanded, and now I'm finding myself doing a fair bit of mileage to go to sites etc.

My insurance policy on the Megane doesn't cover me for Commuting, beyond the 1 place of work, so I don't really use it. However, this makes it awkward, as we run a pool of vehicles at work, but there are rarely any about, meaning I have in the past had to jump in mine or the gf's car to get about...

I'm basically going to have a word with my boss in the next couple of days, as I think the best solution as an alternative to me charging 40p a mile for using my private car is for them to get me a van/work vehicle.

Now I don't really need to fit masses in it; I don't ever get my hands dirty on site (god forbid I would ever do any actual hard work!), but a van would be better if I ever need to chuck a few bits in to temporarily solve an issue on site.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The van would most likely have to be about 58-plate onwards say, and less than 50,000miles on the clock.

I've not had a massive look, but have already discounted the transit connects as they look pikey as, and the VW caddies as they are just silly money for what you actually get.....

I was thinking the best thing would be a Citroen Nemo?? These seem to go for below £5k, with around 35-50k miles... They seem to return very good economy too from the tiny 1.4Hdi engine...

As a result, I can't imagine they're pricey to insure or tax...

Thoughts guys? Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they have any problems or things to look out for? And what alternatives should I be considering.

The van does need to be fairly cheap too, as I need to justify it to the boss, but can't be something older or ropey that I'll end up having to fix/work on...

I look forward to the responses!

Cheers

Ed
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Kia ceed estate?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Late Berlingo or Partner Multispace. Often used as cars so you could find a minter Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
You will cry at how under-powered the 1.4hdi nemos are. Berlingo/partner is a better option imo, or at least a nemo with a better engine. The vw caddys are awesome vans, but you probably know that already lol, as you say - tye money they go for is silly. As long as you don't get a kangoo or connect you can't go far wrong. Want to persuade them you need a citan tbh. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Vectra estate.
Thanks given by:
Echo what has been said, partner van. We have a few at work and they are great. Dirt cheap to run and don't carry the vw tax. Also have a surprising amount of space!
Oh and Kia ceed estate for the win jonny. Everyone knows they are the pinnacle of the sports wagon sector :p
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
We was using a fiat doblo cargo van 1.9
Engine was a peach and punchy enough with its 103? Bhp

We only got rid as we needed a bigger van but it will be missed
Thanks given by:
Dose the government not pay that 40p per mile?
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 03:09 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: Dose the government not pay that 40p per mile?

Yep any employer paying their staff less than 40p a mile to use their own car for work is breaking the law. Any employer who says it comes out of their pocket is talking bollocks as they claim it back via tax so they are more than likely making money on you driving whilst your loosing out.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
let me clear this up, so if someone is using there own personal car for work the employer has to pay them 40p per mile by law?
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:09 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: let me clear this up, so if someone is using there own personal car for work the employer has to pay them 40p per mile by law?

Yes. Not to and from your place of work but say for instance you have to drive to different sites everyday on work business, you should have insurance that should cover you to drive to different sites (only cost me an extra £30 for the year when i was doing it).

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mileage/employee-factsheet.pdf

Edit: Just re-reading that, your employer doesnt have to pay it directly to you (although any good ones will) But if they dont, you can claim it directly from HMRC your self.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Cheers mate, my missis is a carer going to peoples houses and uses her own car, her company pays her a allowance but its something pathetic like 6p per mile, so she will be able to claim from HMRC

ive read that but makes no sense to me at all.

how would you go about claiming it back, have to save fuel receipts ?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:21 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Cheers mate, my missis is a carer going to peoples houses and uses her own car, her company pays her a allowance but its something pathetic like 6p per mile, so she will be able to claim from HMRC

ive read that but makes no sense to me at all.

how would you go about claiming it back, have to save fuel receipts ?

Yep fuel receipts, keep a mileage log and there is a form you can download from the HMRC site to do it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ah sweet cheers mate ill have a look Smile

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Cube!
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:27 PM)amiek Wrote: Cube!

Yes!

Or......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S-Cargo
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:32 PM)Niall Wrote:
(19-09-2013, 04:27 PM)amiek Wrote: Cube!

Yes!

Or......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S-Cargo

picturing eds troll face in that is hilarious!!
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:16 PM)Niall Wrote:
(19-09-2013, 04:09 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: let me clear this up, so if someone is using there own personal car for work the employer has to pay them 40p per mile by law?

Yes. Not to and from your place of work but say for instance you have to drive to different sites everyday on work business, you should have insurance that should cover you to drive to different sites (only cost me an extra £30 for the year when i was doing it).

Edit: Just re-reading that, your employer doesnt have to pay it directly to you (although any good ones will) But if they dont, you can claim it directly from HMRC your self.

Hmm, that's interesting. While at Pizza Hut we got paid 60p commision per delivery, which could be up to a 5 mile round trip. When asked if they could raise it, seeing as fuel went from 100ppl to 140ppl in the 3 years, the manager would spout something about we'd get taxed if it was any higher. Finally went up to 70p near the end but still...
Thanks given by:
So I broached the subject with my boss, who said he'd definitely have a think about it Big Grin I'll report back in due course! Big Grin
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
They dont pay you money as such, what they do is change you tax code to suit how much they owe you, and if you do over X amount of miles it goes down to 16p a mile, but if you take passenger in your car you get po more for each passenger
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 05:37 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: They dont pay you money as such, what they do is change you tax code to suit how much they owe you, and if you do over X amount of miles it goes down to 16p a mile, but if you take passenger in your car you get po more for each passenger

Since 2011, its 45p a mile for the first 10,000 miles then 25p after that. Was less when i was doing it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'll also vouch for the Partner/Berlingo. Done 50k in my neglected/ruined 9 year old van and the only time it let me down was when the clutch release bearing collapsed. 45-50 mpg with a lead foot and decent weight in the back aswell.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Plus, if you get a Part-lingo it's a 306 chassis so still fun in the twisties!
Thanks given by:
Another vote for the Berlingos but the new ones with the 1.6. Hdi feel gutless with a bit of a load
Thanks given by:
New Partner/Berlingo - absolutely OUTSTANDING vans IMO - I remember having a drive of a 110 1.6HDi one and I was absolutely SHOCKED at how good it was... Genuinely the most shockingly good car/van I'd driven all year.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Dude as your a total shiny arse just see if they will do a company car, C2 1.4Hdi would be a hod and super economical obv the 1.6 is faster. That said they do that in a van.

If it was me I'd be angling for a crew cab transit pick up but we all know im a closet pikey.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 06:50 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If it was me I'd be angling for a crew cab transit pick up but we all know im a closet pikey.

Me too, would be so useful when I start my garden project.
Thanks given by:
(19-09-2013, 04:40 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(19-09-2013, 04:16 PM)Niall Wrote:

Hmm, that's interesting. While at Pizza Hut we got paid 60p commision per delivery, which could be up to a 5 mile round trip. When asked if they could raise it, seeing as fuel went from 100ppl to 140ppl in the 3 years, the manager would spout something about we'd get taxed if it was any higher. Finally went up to 70p near the end but still...

Total bollocks mate, I was getting £1-3 from dominos depending on the postcode
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In the last 9 months I've had a partner, berlingo and vw caddy. For the the Berlingo is a clear winner 45mpg, storage everywhere, OEM sat nav, air con, and 3 front seats ideal for missus and young un. Speakers are garbage though.
Thanks given by:
Vauxhall Combo's are Good, 1.3 or 1.7 Engines to choose from, you should get a 57 0r 58 plate for around £4500 inc. with approx. 50 - 70,000 miles on.
My Friend Stewart sells them (Ex Utilities) BT, Brit Gas, Scot Power e.t.c.
He is Based in Sheffield tho. Let me know if you want his number.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sim only deals? Possibly Giffgaff? THE_Liam 27 3,842 30-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Last Post: chylledapps
  New Job (I Think, Possibly, Maybe) Dodgy Bob 8 1,800 15-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Rich306
  Possibly buying a new car. kentiiboii 9 2,190 08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii