suspension how to tell if its going/gone.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suspension how to tell if its going/gone.
Ok guys as tiyle says i sat here an searched through and not found much in the way of saying yep for certan its your suspension..
So other than the usual knocking excessive travel/play.
What are the signs of suspension failing/going/gone...
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
Define suspension mate. There are a lot of components that make up a suspension system. Do you mean the struts/shocks?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 02:51 PM)Grant Wrote: Define suspension mate. There are a lot of components that make up a suspension system. Do you mean the struts/shocks?

Lol yeh would help lol.....i mean the hole spring shock all that part lol and front lol
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
There could be a misting of oil. Check the top mount bearing for grainy feelings/rust. When you bounce the front of the car excessive hissing noises can indicate worn seals. What symptoms are you getting?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 02:59 PM)Grant Wrote: There could be a misting of oil. Check the top mount bearing for grainy feelings/rust. When you bounce the front of the car excessive hissing noises can indicate worn seals. What symptoms are you getting?

All i get is a knocking now and again feels like the wheels are rocking back and forth under take off and braking no judder just feels like whhels slip forward or backwards i thought it might be a worn or slightly worn steering colum...
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
knocking back and forth? like front to back...that would be top mounts or bottom ball joint.
.have you jacked it up and had a good feel/look?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 03:10 PM)Piggy Wrote: knocking back and forth? like front to back...that would be top mounts or bottom ball joint.
.have you jacked it up and had a good feel/look?

Ahhh top mounts everything lower is brand new..ball joints wishbones track rod ends driveshafts...you may be on to summin there piggy how easy are they to do...
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
Give the wishbones a good once over, could also be p-bushes Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 03:14 PM)Grant Wrote: Give the wishbones a good once over, could also be p-bushes Smile

There brand new mate less than a month old..
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
The whole wish bone or just the bushes?

Check the subframe is attached well and the bolts are tight. Check the Track rod ends for play (ie jack the car up and give the wheel some welly at 9 and 3). Check the topmounts as piggy said, but I doubt they would cause back and forth montion unless they are royally f*cked.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 03:23 PM)Grant Wrote: The whole wish bone or just the bushes?

Check the subframe is attached well and the bolts are tight. Check the Track rod ends for play (ie jack the car up and give the wheel some welly at 9 and 3). Check the topmounts as piggy said, but I doubt they would cause back and forth montion unless they are royally f*cked.

Ill av a look at all bolts when i get under to paint it lop i just had a thought.....
Could worn top engine mounts mimic the problem i mean the rocking back and forward cus it would move the engine forward and backwards making me think wheels are moving vut may infact be the engine rocking and nothing else...just a thought..
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
Rock the engine and find out!
Thanks given by:
That and the lower engine mount would be more likely to cause those symptoms Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 04:06 PM)Grant Wrote: That and the lower engine mount would be more likely to cause those symptoms Smile
ahhh i see well the lower one is new but the top two are not so mabey we have found my little annoyance lol its not a major rocking motin more like a 2/3mm or thats what it feel like lol mabey less but with it being on a peugeot you could trebble that lol
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
What wishbones did you put on? Ive had cheap sets go in 500 miles before. Confused
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
if a little bit of poo comes out every time you go around a corner its prob nackered and needs replacing

sounds like a P bush. did you buy cheap ones? could be even know its new. we shreded a cheap P bush to point it was knocking in a week on the mrs xsi.

get under there and see if the rubber is ripped on the P bush

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Echo, echo, echo....
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
lmao

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
have you tightened the balljoint pinch bolts up correctly? If not tight enough they can cause knocking and will oval the hubs meaning you'll need to replace them. Definitely worth a check!!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2013, 12:17 PM)Poodle Wrote: What wishbones did you put on? Ive had cheap sets go in 500 miles before. Confused

I dunno what they were but cost 45 each
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
Not Q-drive were they lol??
Thanks given by:
To be honest i think i may just be looking for faults lol.....its actually quite hard to describe whats happening (well if its actually happening)...ahhh trying to think how to explane it lol..

(05-09-2013, 09:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Not Q-drive were they lol??

No they wernt from ecp lol

I supose what ever may have gone its not all bad as they all come with 12 month warrenty
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
That sounds like cheap motor factor parts tbh, have you actually had a look yet?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 05:41 PM)Poodle Wrote: That sounds like cheap motor factor parts tbh, have you actually had a look yet?

yeh iv looked all parts are still as they were when i put em on in one piece its not doing it at the moment since i sorted out my rattly knocky exhaust might of been something even more simple than i made out but it certainly felt like it was rocking i dunno ill leave it for a few weeks and see if it comes back might just be me looking for things to be wrong lol
(msg sent from hell)

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, wait and see job then I guess. If the exhaust was moving a lot, that points to the engine mounts too mate.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  206 suspension users? Rock hard suspension HDIkyle 10 4,013 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: puglove