Trackday in a 306

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trackday in a 306
just looking at the website for my local track:

http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/

And it seems you can get track time for £20 quid per 20 minutes which seems reasonable, so somewhere in between motorcycle lessons, my turbo project and paying off my uni overdraft I was thinking of getting some track time in, just as an introduction.

My concerns are as follows:

Cooling:

The only good point in terms of cooling is that I have a new radiator, nothing has been upgraded in that respect.

Boost:

I am currently running 26 psi (on veg) on a K14 which I think might blow the head gasket if used continuously.

Those are the only things I can think of, suspension and brakes are in good condition. I am wary of blowing the head gasket basically. I know a few guys on here have been on track days so if you could shed some light I would appreciate it, thanksBlush
Thanks given by:
correct me if Im wrong, but you still on 247mm brakes?....I can cook them on fast road easily so I would be worried about those.
tyres though for me are the biggest thing...what are you planning on using?

as for cooling, consider a fan switch so you can turn it on yourself and also a oil cooler.

that should deal with cooling issues
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cooling isn't an issue because of the air flow over the rad. I did 3 hard sessions at combe and my temps didn't rise above 90.

Oil cooler on the other hand is a must! Specially at 20 main sessions! I'd advise with brake cooling too. I think I'm gonna run some ducting from my fogs to the brakes to help
Thanks given by:
I can get my temp up to 97/98 by some hard boosting on long fast road drives...a switch will be installed soon for the 2.1 I expect!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Wait...if that's your local, that means you're near-ish to me... Confused
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2013, 06:02 PM)Just Sean Wrote: Cooling isn't an issue because of the air flow over the rad. I did 3 hard sessions at combe and my temps didn't rise above 90.

Oil cooler on the other hand is a must! Specially at 20 main sessions! I'd advise with brake cooling too. I think I'm gonna run some ducting from my fogs to the brakes to help

Engine cooling is very different in a gti to a tuned diesel. They get bloody hot!
Especially the xud's

But +1 on the others :-)

As said get some decent grippy tyres and get to know them and take it out then
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2013, 06:13 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Wait...if that's your local, that means you're near-ish to me... Confused

Confused rather you!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've done lydden before in a 205 rally cross car it's a really fun track for a novice, first track session you won't be pushing to hard just get a feel what it's like on track.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Decent pads will make the most difference imo - you can always run a slow lap to let your water temps drop, but once your brakes are cooked thats it for half an hour. The brakes were the one bit of my car that I felt really let it down on track, whereas cooling wasn't an issue at all. Theres a bloke selling some ferodo 247mm pads in the parts section atm.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've got some Mintex 1144's in Bendix 247mm pattern, although you're probably on ATE?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Wow, some excellent advice in this thread, thanks chaps.

Yes Ripp you are right, friggin Lucas!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A quick trackday write up... Chr1sch 7 2,393 31-10-2015, 11:15 PM
Last Post: adam b
  Cheap trackday in Norfolk Dan! 4 1,373 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Last Post: aggyj17