306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Trackday in a 306
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just looking at the website for my local track:

http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/

And it seems you can get track time for £20 quid per 20 minutes which seems reasonable, so somewhere in between motorcycle lessons, my turbo project and paying off my uni overdraft I was thinking of getting some track time in, just as an introduction.

My concerns are as follows:

Cooling:

The only good point in terms of cooling is that I have a new radiator, nothing has been upgraded in that respect.

Boost:

I am currently running 26 psi (on veg) on a K14 which I think might blow the head gasket if used continuously.

Those are the only things I can think of, suspension and brakes are in good condition. I am wary of blowing the head gasket basically. I know a few guys on here have been on track days so if you could shed some light I would appreciate it, thanksBlush
correct me if Im wrong, but you still on 247mm brakes?....I can cook them on fast road easily so I would be worried about those.
tyres though for me are the biggest thing...what are you planning on using?

as for cooling, consider a fan switch so you can turn it on yourself and also a oil cooler.

that should deal with cooling issues
Cooling isn't an issue because of the air flow over the rad. I did 3 hard sessions at combe and my temps didn't rise above 90.

Oil cooler on the other hand is a must! Specially at 20 main sessions! I'd advise with brake cooling too. I think I'm gonna run some ducting from my fogs to the brakes to help
I can get my temp up to 97/98 by some hard boosting on long fast road drives...a switch will be installed soon for the 2.1 I expect!!
Wait...if that's your local, that means you're near-ish to me... Confused
(25-08-2013, 06:02 PM)Just Sean Wrote: [ -> ]Cooling isn't an issue because of the air flow over the rad. I did 3 hard sessions at combe and my temps didn't rise above 90.

Oil cooler on the other hand is a must! Specially at 20 main sessions! I'd advise with brake cooling too. I think I'm gonna run some ducting from my fogs to the brakes to help

Engine cooling is very different in a gti to a tuned diesel. They get bloody hot!
Especially the xud's

But +1 on the others :-)

As said get some decent grippy tyres and get to know them and take it out then
(25-08-2013, 06:13 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...if that's your local, that means you're near-ish to me... Confused

Confused rather you!!
I've done lydden before in a 205 rally cross car it's a really fun track for a novice, first track session you won't be pushing to hard just get a feel what it's like on track.
Decent pads will make the most difference imo - you can always run a slow lap to let your water temps drop, but once your brakes are cooked thats it for half an hour. The brakes were the one bit of my car that I felt really let it down on track, whereas cooling wasn't an issue at all. Theres a bloke selling some ferodo 247mm pads in the parts section atm.
I've got some Mintex 1144's in Bendix 247mm pattern, although you're probably on ATE?
Wow, some excellent advice in this thread, thanks chaps.

Yes Ripp you are right, friggin Lucas!