Project Yellow thing - coming to an end

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Yellow thing - coming to an end
thought i'd start a proper thread about my car, and what the plans are...

current spec - Peugeot 306 xr 1.4 petrol
                    sony headunit,
                    14in OZ alloys

pics when I picked him up:

[Image: T2eC16NsE9swmYlFPBR4cI668Wg60_57_zps5105eaf1.jpg]

[Image: T2eC16dEE9s2uiPOZBR4cJCS6hw60_57_zps3d887f40.jpg]

it's done 110000 miles, had 3 owners, the last one having had it for 11 years, and replaced nearly everything once or twice (bar the engine - more on that later)
so for £300 with 6 months tax, and a spare engine thrown in Smile a good deal I thought

[Image: 2013-07-27134610_zpsfb33d841.jpg]

the first problem I encountered pretty quickly - no horn, both side repeaters painted black, and a huge amount of mayo in the oil cap, and a similar lake of oil in the radiator Sad

unfortunately I didn't get any pics whilst doing the HG, but needless to say it was overwith in about 4 hours, and only cost £40 due to the amount of new parts on the spare engine that were scavenged, including the head Smile

Problems number 2 and 3 quickly presented themselves - 1 DEAD battery, and once that was replaced, an alarm system that wouldn't turn off (one piece of advice the previous owner hadn't given was how to turn the damn thing off...lol)

Part 2 -

Well it works, and legal since the new side repeaters and horn arrived Smile but it's brakes are terrible, so the first thing i'm doing is to replace the 247 solids with a set of lucas 266 Smile

sourced some from an axownersclub member, they'd been stripped down and partially cleaned, so I started by getting rid of the old paint..

[Image: 2013-08-09192834_zps08da5ca9.jpg]

then a layer of caliper primer

[Image: 2013-08-12110203_zps304871b1.jpg]

I already had some paint in the cupboard (lol I have loads of crap in that cupboard...) so for the sake of budget I used it up...

[Image: 2013-08-12110250_zps203cb74d.jpg]

[Image: 2013-08-12115954_zpsa5c00690.jpg]

it started to rain halfway through spraying so I cut up a couple of black bags to make a makeshift canopy

new seals fitted

[Image: 2013-08-12162443_zpsf780473b.jpg]

all back together - there are a couple of small shadows in the pic but they came out pretty well Smile

[Image: 2013-08-12165920_zps6353678d.jpg]

I dug out a master cylinder from one of my parts boxes today and it got the same treatment..

[Image: 2013-08-19120439_zpsbe204053.jpg]

that's it for now, weather permitting i'll be fitting them tomorrow, so i'll get some more pics and hopefully good comments on the results stopping-wise...lol
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Good job on getting those calipers. They're called 'Sabre tooths' and supposedly are rare. (I've got a set as well, hehe)
Thanks given by:
Ive got some 283's from a 307 xsi and they stop really well.... Better than my four pot brembos too
[Image: image_zps738f3eaa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
got on with fitting the front brakes today, not entirely happy with how it went, but all will become clear...

first jacked and secured the car with axlestands..

[Image: 2013-08-20102156_zps96d79077.jpg]

took off the wheel to evaluate the crap that was barely stopping the car...

[Image: 2013-08-20102149_zpse40883bf.jpg]

yep, as crap as I thought

[Image: 2013-08-20112354_zps838019d5.jpg]

didn't get any more pics after that until i'd finished for the day, turns out I didn't have the bolts to blank off 2 of the ports on the M/C so to keep the car mobile, I decided to hang with the standard mc, however not before getting brake fluid all over the servo (thought the res was empty - wrong)

they're on though! and despite a little air still in the system, and a loooonnnggg brake pedal they work Smile

[Image: 2013-08-20124057_zps9b2c1c45.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I really need to paint my calipers ideally. But finding the motivation to is hard.

looking smart though. Whats the plan for the spare engine? Boost? ninja
Thanks given by:
nah, the bottom end was as broken as that milk jug, rings were shot, and had left BIG gouges in the cylinder walls, so shopped that one, just got the head / various brackets / water pump housing left from that,

boost would be an interesting idea, but not on an alloy 1.4, it's easy enough, but no-one really does the right parts for it,

I do have plans for a replacement engine though, the saxo/106 1.6 16v is an easy enough swap with the gearbox I have, and i'd just have to muck about with the wiring / exhaust - hmmmm

did some more on the car today, got the mc changed over, ready to change the brake fluid, both rear bleed nipples were junk (I already had replacements thank goodness) 1 came out, the other flat refused, and I broke a stud extractor trying to get it out, so decided to just strip down the whole drum, remove and clean it, get another brake cylinder and finally because I missed the deadline for the parts van into brid, i'm stuck until tomorrow..... Sad
Thanks given by:
it will feel so much better with fresh fluid and all done brakes front and back.
keep at it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
time to update this Smile

after the fiasco of the rear brakes, this is how the car was left for a couple of days:

[Image: 2013-08-23131714_zps715106e4.jpg]

[Image: 2013-08-23131723_zps254dce42.jpg]

didn't get any pics of it going back together, but it went really smoothly, and the pedal is back to normal, nice and firm, and a nice progressive feel to the brakes, down to about 3/4 of the pedal Smile

over the next couple of days I tackled the wiring issues - lol it's French

the horn stopped working shortly after buying it, so off it came, can you see the problem?

[Image: 2013-08-26124728_zpsa50cce64.jpg]

contact rusted off...lol
old vs new and my trusty gunsons Smile

[Image: 2013-08-26124520_zpsfb091b0e.jpg]

next - the right side indicators kept going mental - sure sign of bad contacts / earths / bulbs, so off came the cluster -

[Image: 2013-08-26122001_zps130c392f.jpg]

you can just about see the blue crimp connectors through the hole, loom has been chopped to buggery, looks like to fit a 3rd brake light at some point, and whoever disconnected it has just left bare wires dangling around in contact with the shell :L
so cleaned them up and heatshrinked them to prevent any more problems,

only problem is that once I saw the shell I had to start cleaning Smile Break out the shoe polish and fairy liquid!

grey trim -

[Image: 2013-08-26122121_zps57795f0d.jpg]

Blaaaack

[Image: 2013-08-26122153_zpsa487befb.jpg]

that's all for now, more updates next week Smile
Thanks given by:
use auto glym tyre shine on the plastics, works a treat

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Time for the monthly update Smile

to start the month off well, started off on holiday Smile 553.something miles one way

the only way to start a long journey:
[Image: 2013-09-02080839_zpsab034d8c.jpg]

crossing the border
[Image: DSCF5455_zpsf1a50fa5.jpg]

on the ferry
[Image: 2013-09-11124036_zps6818c9a6.jpg]

where we were staying (the house further down) and the 'shed'
[Image: DSCF5354_zpsc2d64d1f.jpg]

imagine how bad the 'road' / track looks - multiply that by 5 or so when it turns the corner past the house, it's only just wider than the car, and basically a series of massive pot-holes connected by sharp rocky bits, with 2 very deep ditches either side... fun

long journey to get back, and most of it was in the pitch black so i didn't get any pics, but i did get a lot of video footage over the 2 weeks, so probably going to get that edited and posted somewhere...lol

Back home - slow progress

money is a bit tight at the moment, so havn't done anything major, just more painting (had some left over from the calipers)

[Image: 2013-09-24115502_zpsa73bb5cc.jpg]

[Image: 2013-09-24115512_zps8f4f5720.jpg]

old vs new Smile

[Image: 2013-09-24115548_zpsebb77767.jpg]

so that's it for now, next month is the dreaded MOT so there'll be some exhaust stuff for sure, maybe engine work and welding Undecided
Thanks given by:
not an update as such, just a bit of progress -

ordered a new middle section for the exhaust this morning - looks like the trip to orkney took it's toll and has seriously cracked the pipe/silencer welds, so a good time to get upgrading Smile

got a sportex straight pipe on it's way, and going to order a new backbox, cat section and downpipe for 4-2-1 modifying on payday, probably going to get a new lambda sensor as well to sort out the hanging revs on startup

i'll get some pics when it arrives Smile
Thanks given by:
Looks good! Keep at it Smile have a soft spot for ph1 306's
Thanks given by:
new pipe arrived today Smile

got it fitted, and almost a surprise to find how good the fit is... and despite buying it to just replace the old broken one, it sounds soooooo much better without the centre silencer, even with the standard backbox on... Smile

i'll upload some more pics later when i manage to find the lead...lol
Thanks given by:
Engine woes - Grooooaaaan

was leaving work earlier, pulled out of the junction, and no power, sounded throaty, like it was missing or fuel starving, (plenty of petrol) then started to make small banging noises under the bonnet, so pulled over and noticed a lot more smoke than usual out the back, but nothing out of place under the bonnet, no mayo or excess pressure in the coolant no warning lights at all, and it cleared up after about 30 secs, so drove home, ideas?
Thanks given by:
what a beast
Thanks given by:
well it's been a while since my last update, i've been trying to find a direction to go in, and i've tried a few things out in order to do that...

first came the paint - Silver is boooorrring, whatever you do to it, so looking at my options i came across the plastidip option, with it being easy to apply and remove if needed it ticked all the boxes, so i bought some 'Frosts liquid wrap' and to make sure it worked as i wanted it to, did just the bonnet in a fairly standard colour - BLAAACK

well, as an experiment into the kind of coverage i could expect, it went pretty well, but it taught me one thing - i don't like the matt black look Nospeak the final colour has been chosen, and will probably be applied in the spring when it warms up a bit...

my daughter helping to remove the black, surprisingly it does come off as easily as it should..

Big Thanks to sambarker for the next bit -

a dturbo front end - twin optics Inlove fortunately it doesn't matter about the colour as it's going to get dipped soon

was quite late after the trip inland - and on the way back? Flat tyre and a rusted backbox join making a massive noise as it let go, and then droning like a tractor all the way home Undecided
Thanks given by:
Aaaannnd the last bit i swear

I have problems with my back, so i find it hard to twist in the seat and properly guage parking, so after driving my dads scenic i decided to fit some Reversing Sensors to the Ph1 Smile

decided on a 4 sensor kit, with a display and speaker

first thing just wired in the power to the reversing lamp, made an earth on the bolt hole just inside the boot, and plugged in the box and display to see if i could make it do anything - surprisingly for a kit that only costs £11 it is quite accurate and even picks up posts (not just walls like some do)

drilled the holes in the bumper to accept the sensors - kit somes with it's own holesaw so no problems finding the right size

notice the 'extra' hole on the drivers side - rookie mistake - measure twice, read the instructions again for clarity and re-measure, then drill... FML

BUT

it works, and assuming i find a good place for the beeping noise to eminate from is pretty much finished - the control box tucks away under the jack holder, and the wires feed nicely through the bolt hole in the center (which kindly broke on removal - so handy Angry )

next up is:

wheels - get rid of the gash 14's and fit some better 16's?
bodywork - try to get it as straight as poss before paint - source a spoiler
interior - retrim seats and door cards

i'll also be on the lookout for a mpi head and management, a td04-12t, maybe even a new bottom end as this one sucks massive unicorn wang

that's it for now,
thanks for reading, John
Thanks given by:
second update of the month!

thsi might become a habit, got round to fitting the new bumper and lights this morning - and removing the last of the plastidip from the bonnet lol

started by removing the grill and things under the lights - managed to break a couple of the clips on the drivers side one... Sad

rounded bolts and non-captive captive nuts - hate them soooo much, but as i'm not keeping the single optics they got hacked out...

old bumper off - was pleased to see not much rust anywhere on the front

old vs new

new bumper and lights fitted - no grill or stick things - gonna get some new clips and sticks later -

moar yellow bits

while i was on ebay the other day i ordered some yellow silicone hose - gonna get some bigger diameter when i next get paid, and i have a hydraulic hose guy that's making me some stainless braided bits including an oil feed line ninja

Thanks given by:
well it happens in 3's

driver's side fromt wheel bearing collapsed on christmas eve
same side driveshaft inner boot split badly, and joints grinding
alarm is randomly going off whenever it likes (including whilst driving / parked but unlocked :? )

FML
Thanks given by:
ok time for an update, it's been 2 months,

up until today i did bugger all to it apart from get a new front tyre due to a tiny little screw on the road outside the house,

i decided to have a change today, so i started by drying the wing off (it had been raining during the night)

[attachment=13305]

then shook up the can, took a deeeep breath, and started with the job of the day..

[attachment=13306]

^ Coat #1

[attachment=13307]

^ Coat #3
i really like how bright the colour is, i don't think it really shows on the pics, i'm going back out in a min to peel it off the rub strip and the side repeater and get a final pic once it's properly dry

lol it probably already is Tongue
Thanks given by:
What paint is that? Doesn't look like you sanded it or primered it? Nice colour though
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Need another sundance 306 lol
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Guessing it's that plasticoat paint Sam
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
yep, dead on.. frosts liquid wrap - Neon yellow, it needs another coat tbh, but now it's dry in the sunlight... OMG

when i get paid i'll buy some more and do another 2 panels...lol

plans from now -

1 - yellow plastidip the rest of the car
2 - get some better wheels, looking at the weller idea still
3 - sort out rideheight, either up or down it doesn't matter
4 - engine - got some ideas for moar power, got sources on some nice things Smile
Thanks given by:
Gloss black clones+ drop+60mm= done
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Jazzy, looking forward to seeing it finished Big Grin
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
clones are nice... but i'm yet to be convinced
Thanks given by:
New lock set went in today, right arse to get the ignition changed over, but at last i can get in using the driver's door Smile
Thanks given by:
The front bumper and lights are off an s16...
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
yeah they are, i think the bumper styles are the same / similar though, hence the dturbo thing... bit like the ax having either pov spec or the gt/gti one
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 306 D TURBO Ph2 Blaze Yellow PROJECT D Turbo Lyle 34 18,042 18-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Last Post: JethroJay
  Project Silver Thing (PST) David 2 2,073 11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Pugmarshall