I needed a diesel run around...... Found one!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I needed a diesel run around...... Found one!
IMO, the cheapest you can buy without going silly. Maybe a 406? Then you have a lot to spend on fuel before you even spend your budget. Which kinda works out as free miles I guess..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 04:20 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Costco is pointless due to the membership fee that you are paying every month.

Got a Costco card have you? 24 bottles of Coors for 11 quid, a kilo of steak mince for 3 quid, 12 pack of Monster for 6 quid, it's well worth the £20 a year.

(11-08-2013, 04:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Vectra CDTi 150..... They're worth about as much as a 306 HDi, just as unreliable, only do around 50mpg like the HDi, but do have more spec.........and are fecking massive lol, 2.4metre lentghs of wood fit in there no issue.....in the HDi hatch they were wedged between the windscreen and bootlid. lol

But seriously, neither of the above. As has already been said, decent HDi's are very few and far now, most won't be that economical either as they have sensor issues, boost leaks and faulty EGRs, I've owned 3 now that wouldn't get above 50mpg....shite considering the lack of power, even at stage 1.

You have a strange view of economy dude. 50mpg is f*cking brilliant, you can't call that thirsty surely?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 04:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Vectra CDTi 150..... They're worth about as much as a 306 HDi, just as unreliable, only do around 50mpg like the HDi, but do have more spec.........and are fecking massive lol, 2.4metre lentghs of wood fit in there no issue.....in the HDi hatch they were wedged between the windscreen and bootlid. lol

But seriously, neither of the above. As has already been said, decent HDi's are very few and far now, most won't be that economical either as they have sensor issues, boost leaks and faulty EGRs, I've owned 3 now that wouldn't get above 50mpg....shite considering the lack of power, even at stage 1.

You have a strange view of economy dude. 50mpg is f*cking brilliant, you can't call that thirsty surely?
[/quote]

50mpg from a 200bhp diesel or a 120bhp petrol would be good, I'd be happy with that.

But If a broken Golf with a cheap generic 180bhp remap can manage 60mpg average, then a lighter, much less powerful car should do at least that if not better imo. Also a newer car with modern 'technology', say a 2006 Vectra with only 150bhp should be able to manage that easily. I'm not gonna get into an MPG debate though. Wink
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

50mpg from a 200bhp diesel or a 120bhp petrol would be good, I'd be happy with that.

But If a broken Golf with a cheap generic 180bhp remap can manage 60mpg average, then a lighter, much less powerful car should do at least that if not better imo. Also a newer car with modern 'technology', say a 2006 Vectra with only 150bhp should be able to manage that easily. I'm not gonna get into an MPG debate though. Wink
[/quote]

Thought that was your favourite subject? lol

To me, if a car does an average of 30-35mpg with mixed driving its economical...
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:19 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 09:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

To me, if a car does an average of 30-35mpg with mixed driving its economical...
[/quote]

'a car'...so you'd be happy with a 106 NAD doing 30mpg like that.... lol

And not my favourite subject since owning all these rubbish thirsty diesels since the golf haha. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 09:19 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 09:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You have a strange view of economy dude. 50mpg is f*cking brilliant, you can't call that thirsty surely?

'a car'...so you'd be happy with a 106 NAD doing 30mpg like that.... lol

And not my favourite subject since owning all these rubbish thirsty diesels since the golf haha. Dodgy
[/quote]

Yeah, although I'd try to fix it. I'm not bothered too much for economy, but I'm definitely happy with the 45mpg on 86p a litre veg oil I'm getting in the DT lol
Thanks given by:
In my opinion, if all you really want is a comfy daily, don't get a 306.

320d is a good shout, or possibly a 330d? Most say don't bother with the 320 as all you get is less poke and 2 less cylinders, but mine wasn't great on juice (and no, I'm not being like Tom...).

What about a Mazda 6 diesel? Or an Alfa... but that won't exactly be reliable...
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:29 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Yeah, although I'd try to fix it. I'm not bothered too much for economy, but I'm definitely happy with the 45mpg on 86p a litre veg oil I'm getting in the DT lol

Depends what you can afford and how far you have to drive I guess. I have to think about whether I can afford every journey and if its worth it so economy is very important to me.....unfortunately so is overtaking power so its always a compromise lol.

(11-08-2013, 09:32 PM)Curt Wrote: In my opinion, if all you really want is a comfy daily, don't get a 306.

320d is a good shout, or possibly a 330d? Most say don't bother with the 320 as all you get is less poke and 2 less cylinders, but mine wasn't great on juice (and no, I'm not being like Tom...).

What about a Mazda 6 diesel? Or an Alfa... but that won't exactly be reliable...

The Mazda 6 book figures on MPG are pretty poor and the tax is a lot iirc, I was looking at a few before I got the Vec but the MPG put me off. That and the amount for spares or repair on ebay at the time lol.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:39 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 09:29 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Yeah, although I'd try to fix it. I'm not bothered too much for economy, but I'm definitely happy with the 45mpg on 86p a litre veg oil I'm getting in the DT lol

Depends what you can afford and how far you have to drive I guess. I have to think about whether I can afford every journey and if its worth it so economy is very important to me.....unfortunately so is overtaking power so its always a compromise lol.

(11-08-2013, 09:32 PM)Curt Wrote: In my opinion, if all you really want is a comfy daily, don't get a 306.

The Mazda 6 book figures on MPG are pretty poor and the tax is a lot iirc, I was looking at a few before I got the Vec but the MPG put me off. That and the amount for spares or repair on ebay at the time lol.

What you need is something mega economical but also simple and rugged, because if you need the Vectra to do 50mpg because you're that skint then I assume if say the DMF failed you'd be f*cked right? A 106 diesel is probably the right car if you get a good one mate, 65mpg, as complicated as a hammer, tough and cheap to fix?
Thanks given by:
No what I need is to move into town, no driving needed, no fuel costs, no insurance costs, no tax costs, no driving panic attacks, no raging at all the inconciderate bellends holding me up at 25mph in the national while I'm clenching etc etc.

Oh and the DMF isn't good lol, its only 25k old as well, swirl flaps are also broken, boost leaks everywhere, EGR is stuck wide open (but blanked as it was so slow otherwise), engine mounts are knackered.... I cant afford to fix it, so when it catastrophically fails it'll get broken for parts just like the Golf.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 10:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No what I need is to move into town, no driving needed, no fuel costs, no insurance costs, no tax costs, no driving panic attacks, no raging at all the inconciderate bellends holding me up at 25mph in the national while I'm clenching etc etc.

Oh and the DMF isn't good lol, its only 25k old as well, swirl flaps are also broken, boost leaks everywhere, EGR is stuck wide open (but blanked as it was so slow otherwise), engine mounts are knackered.... I cant afford to fix it, so when it catastrophically fails it'll get broken for parts just like the Golf.

The only one of those parts a TUD
engine has is mounts....
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 10:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 10:04 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No what I need is to move into town, no driving needed, no fuel costs, no insurance costs, no tax costs, no driving panic attacks, no raging at all the inconciderate bellends holding me up at 25mph in the national while I'm clenching etc etc.

engine has is mounts....

Yeah and they lack literally everything else as well..... Don't forget I had one! I can say without doubt I will never be getting another. Thats not open for discussion lol.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 10:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 10:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

engine has is mounts....

Yeah and they lack literally everything else as well..... Don't forget I had one! I can say without doubt I will never be getting another. Thats not open for discussion lol.

Simplicity is a virtue mate. Thats why I'm after a 106 Rallye Wink
Thanks given by:
I don't like simplicity. I like comfort and power (need to know I can overtake the slow buggers before shitting myself). And brakes. And grip. And a car that isn't so rusty and seized together it requires changing half a dozen parts when one fails lol.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the 330d is pretty nice, just a stop gap to fill in a few months. I've never had a vehicle that happily does more than 30-35mpg so hopefully it will be a novelty!

I'm liking the Bora TDi for value for money!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
If you're looking at anything vag, make sure it's been well looked after. The repair bills can be astronomical.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Not sure a 330d will be that economical? My uncle has a 530d and only just manages 30mpg lol. It is an auto though.

As for VAGs, makes no odds how they were looked after, mine had full and very extensive service history lol, totally standard when I got it as well. The biggest thing to check with a PD is make sure its NOT been longlife serviced, the longlife oil is too thin and doesn't lubricate the head well at start up, leading to cam/lifter failure.

Parts aren't all that expensive if you do stuff yourself tbh, and I found the PD really easy to work on as well. Much easier than a HDi for most things!
Thanks given by:
Well, after much searching I found a car! Thanks for all your help!

2006 SEAT Leon Sport TDi

[Image: null_zps41cd2708.png]
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Nice. My mate picked a 1 owner 'stylance' tdi in black for £1500 in black with 93k on it!
Thanks given by:
Get those P6000s off it asap!!!

Is it bad that I can tell they're P6000s just from a 2 second glance at a car!?

Nice work though!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2013, 08:06 PM)Ruan Wrote: Get those P6000s off it asap!!!

Nice work though!

Yes.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Nah P6000s are easy to spot!! lol
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2013, 08:06 PM)Ruan Wrote: Get those P6000s off it asap!!!

Nice work though!

I don't know if that's bad Ruan, maybe..... Hmmmm... Worrying lol!

If it was an R888 I'd understand!
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I think it's because it's the universal sign of "This car will understeer without any prior warning"!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Haha, I'm quite surprised with the ease to drive and torque of the thing

Bet you'd never get another legit one like that JJ
Now only a has been!!

www.autorite-sport.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2013, 09:30 PM)Ruan Wrote: I think it's because it's the universal sign of "This car will understeer without any prior warning"!!!

This x1000!!
They're really bad to live with and they haven't earned their nickname 'ditchfinders' for no reason
However I call them 'backof6finders' /SelfTroll
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's a leon, i'm not sure anyone would notice the difference anyway..?

Tongue

Looks tidy.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: