How much camber on the rear as standard?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much camber on the rear as standard?
Hi all,

Was just wondering how much camber there is as standard on a gti beam?inheard it was like 1 degree?

Basically I lowered my torsion bar on tuesday and think I may be paranoid and looking for it if you know what I mean? It is minimal and equal both sides.

The handling is awesome aswell at the moment and the back end feels planted!

Thanks in advance!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It will camber slightly more the further you lower it anyway. My Bora must have 2/3 degrees on the rear at least just from lowering!
Thanks given by:
here you go

Attached Files
.pdf   wheel dim.pdf (Size: 35.56 KB / Downloads: 45)
Thanks given by:
Will a torsion bar camber more as it goes lower though?

Am I right in reading 1.2 degrees of camber there?
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:It will camber slightly more the further you lower it anyway. My Bora must have 2/3 degrees on the rear at least just from lowering!

Nah it won't Dan, your rear are struts and links like the front so yours will but 306 is torsion bars and trailing arms remember so sweeps round in an arc! Wish they did though! You can camber them using cambered trailing arms but that's custom and expensive!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Ye I was going to say I didn't think they should camber. Is there a little as standard anyway?
Thanks given by:
for the rear, nomininal values for the rear the middle number is the spot on number and the numbers ether side is its tolerance... these are all in degree and minutes:

< | >

partial toe: +0'15" +0'20" +0'25"

set back: ----- ------ -------

camber: -1'35" -1'20" -1'05"

thrust angle: -0'15" +0'00" +0'15"

also the only thing it changes is the set back... how far forward or back it sits, as the lower you go it pushs its self back.
Thanks given by:
Ok that's awesome mate! I will keep an eye on it. Pretty sure it's fine, and it's just me worrying!

If it cambers badly it can mess the handling can't it?
Thanks given by:
.3 less than a vts iirc
Thanks given by:
jo3 Wrote:for the rear, nomininal values for the rear the middle number is the spot on number and the numbers ether side is its tolerance... these are all in degree and minutes:

< | >

partial toe: +0'15" +0'20" +0'25"

set back: ----- ------ -------

camber: -1'35" -1'20" -1'05"

thrust angle: -0'15" +0'00" +0'15"

also the only thing it changes is the set back... how far forward or back it sits, as the lower you go it pushs its self back.

set back is how far a wheels position is compared to the opposite wheel on the same axle, usualy measured in 100ths of a mm or in degrees across the axle.
it alters the wheel base on the car, some cars i have done can be as much as 3 or 4 mm out----usually bent wishbones (ford) or even axle beams (corsas)
drive behind a car thats "crabbing"---thats exagerated setback !!!
Thanks given by:
urm kinda :/ but if there both equal it wont matter anyway, but it can make your steering pissed or drift to one side if one is poss or more neg, or somthing like that, as your rear sets up your front tracking, so if rear is out front is out, so it might crab, but i shouldent think camber will do to much really, just wear your tyres on one edge... try and explain. read this http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

[Image: Align_Camber.gif]

[Image: Align_t_camber.gif]

Camber is the angle of the wheel, measured in degrees, when viewed from the front of the vehicle. If the top of the wheel is leaning out from the center of the car, then the camber is positive ,if it's leaning in, then the camber is negative. If the camber is out of adjustment, it will cause tire wear on one side of the tire's tread. If the camber is too far negative, for instance, then the tire will wear on the inside of the tread.
Camber wear pattern

If the camber is different from side to side it can cause a pulling problem. The vehicle will pull to the side with the more positive camber. On many front-wheel-drive vehicles, camber is not adjustable. If the camber is out on these cars, it indicates that something is worn or bent, possibly from an accident and must be repaired or replaced.
Thanks given by:
The geomatry will change as you lower. As you rotate the arm round the negative camber turns into positive toe. And the postive toe will turn into positive camber
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
daddyfixit Wrote:set back is how far a wheels position is compared to the opposite wheel on the same axle, usualy measured in 100ths of a mm or in degrees across the axle.
it alters the wheel base on the car, some cars i have done can be as much as 3 or 4 mm out----usually bent wishbones (ford) or even axle beams (corsas)
drive behind a car thats "crabbing"---thats exagerated setback !!!

yeah hence why it can only change set back, becouse when you lower the rear beam if the notchs arnt the same as you change each wheel one will sit higher then the other, giving you a bad set back, and it will change how far forward and back you sit on the thrust angle, so it can throw tracking out.
Thanks given by:
Wicked cheers for that mate! Ye now handles really well at the moment and pulls dead straight! I also measured the height of the arms and they were exactly the same!

As said will just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get any worse. If it does I will just get it rebuilt as I have all the bearings and seals say in my garage.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Repairing rear axle and camber? JTaylor2005 7 1,318 07-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Last Post: miles
  Camber/axle swap panzer 2 914 17-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  slight camber Rear beam Moh 1 763 27-06-2015, 06:00 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard