Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone?
Shit i cant believe how expensive insurance can be. Mine was about 2k for my first year of driving and learning then dropped to under 1k.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
As controversial as it is, I fully support 'fronting' insurance when prices like these are thrown at young drivers!

Only reason I'm not doing that is because I don't want to mess about with transferring no claims etc
Thanks given by:
Thats good to see that they use the black box to give you money back rather than add it on.

Would the black box know if you were off a public road say on a track day so it didn't charge you extra for hooning though?
Also how does their box work, is it on g force, harshness or gps or a combination of these?
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 04:50 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Thats good to see that they use the black box to give you money back rather than add it on.

Would the black box know if you were off a public road say on a track day so it didn't charge you extra for hooning though?
Also how does their box work, is it on g force, harshness or gps or a combination of these?

I can be penalised for driving like a tw*t but it was nice to read that I could get a refund of a bit as a reward Smile

And I'm not too sure tbh mate I think it uses a lot of parameters to measure those things, ill be rated on cornering speeds, braking distance etc so it's basically like teaching myself to drive well and giving me safe experiences for the future Smile

As for track days they aren't my thing really and I did have to tick a box saying that my car won't be used for racing etc
Thanks given by:
Go black box mate.

My little cousin who just turned 18, has been driving for 8 months. Paid £700 for his insurance, and has been refunded most of it for good driving.

And his driving is frikken scary :O and dangerous lol
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 03:46 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: If you look in the small print on most websites you'll probably find that an online quotation is indicative only. I don't even think you can buy into an online quotation without first speaking to someone to clarify absolutely everything again.

I'm 24 at present, but my insurance runs out 2 months before my 25th birthday. The optimist in me thinks that there's the possibility of a big saving after my 25th, but it's the insurance cover between the end of my current policy and my birthday that I'm not sure how to go about...

yes you can, i've bought a few policies online, some won't let you though...less than 400 for me these days though so good times Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 04:49 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: As controversial as it is, I fully support 'fronting' insurance when prices like these are thrown at young drivers!

Only reason I'm not doing that is because I don't want to mess about with transferring no claims etc

Well...they can't complain about fronting since it is a direct result of them making getting on the insurance ladder nigh-on-impossible, but I wouldn't go as far as supporting it, if only for the consequences of the person doing it.

(15-07-2013, 05:50 PM)RePT Wrote: Go black box mate.

My little cousin who just turned 18, has been driving for 8 months. Paid £700 for his insurance, and has been refunded most of it for good driving.

And his driving is frikken scary :O and dangerous lol

I couldn't do this, myself. The thought of those fucks putting an annoying little box in the car, lol. It's big brother society gone madUndecided What should actually be done is give people responsibility, let them know that it is their fault if they are driving recklessly and end up upside down in a field. Things like black boxes only make people more immature and cotton wrapped.
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 06:16 PM)306Puggy Wrote: I couldn't do this, myself. The thought of those fucks putting an annoying little box in the car, lol. It's big brother society gone madUndecided What should actually be done is give people responsibility, let them know that it is their fault if they are driving recklessly and end up upside down in a field. Things like black boxes only make people more immature and cotton wrapped.

Dont agree with that at all. My work car has had a tracker fitted and since ive been driving it tracked, my driving has calmed right down. Still have some fun in the pug but i feel its made me a much more responsible driver.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Trading statndard is a funny thing, any quote is an invitation to buy at that price, but not a contract. So really you offer them what they are asking, and they can still refuse to honour it. Only when they accept what you're offering is it a contractual agreement.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2013, 06:16 PM)306Puggy Wrote: I couldn't do this, myself. The thought of those fucks putting an annoying little box in the car, lol. It's big brother society gone madUndecided What should actually be done is give people responsibility, let them know that it is their fault if they are driving recklessly and end up upside down in a field. Things like black boxes only make people more immature and cotton wrapped.

Think you've got a bit confused/backwards here. Big brother society is where massive amounts of information is collected about individuals without permission for undisclosed reasons, whereas this black box is a voluntary thing that collects limited data for a very simple reason. If you drive recklessly and end up in a field, as you say, the little black box will be there to hand you a whole gamut of responsibility.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah but how long do you think it's gonna be voluntery? They will prey on people with this, soon it will be road pricing before you know it! Trust me, computer databases make this all so convenient.
Thanks given by:
From what I understand they are fairly lenient with it but I have my own theory that I'd consider testing if it wasn't being monitored constantly etc.

When you have a 30 limit for example, can guarantee that at least 70% of the other road users won't actually be doing 30, more like 34-36 so to go with the flow of the traffic and not cause what could be seen by other users as an 'obstruction' surely matching that speed is better and arguably safer than trying to keep the needle bang on 30?

I wouldn't class this as reckless or dangerous driving because its not as if you're flying everywhere at twice the limit, more like keeping the flow moving and behaving in a similar manner to other motorists but not taking it to the extreme?

My uncle (who taught me to drive for the 6 months before I did a few lessons and my test) always said that there's learning to drive for the test, and then after that is when you really start learning, I'm sure most of you older more experienced drivers will agree
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 01:44 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: From what I understand they are fairly lenient with it but I have my own theory that I'd consider testing if it wasn't being monitored constantly etc.

When you have a 30 limit for example, can guarantee that at least 70% of the other road users won't actually be doing 30, more like 34-36 so to go with the flow of the traffic and not cause what could be seen by other users as an 'obstruction' surely matching that speed is better and arguably safer than trying to keep the needle bang on 30?

I wouldn't class this as reckless or dangerous driving because its not as if you're flying everywhere at twice the limit, more like keeping the flow moving and behaving in a similar manner to other motorists but not taking it to the extreme?

My uncle (who taught me to drive for the 6 months before I did a few lessons and my test) always said that there's learning to drive for the test, and then after that is when you really start learning, I'm sure most of you older more experienced drivers will agree

yeah that's a relevant point . . . .i'd hate to be a young 'un these days . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Yeah i did most of my learning when i got out on the road on my own! Most of the time, you only learn through doing!!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I only learn through doing as well. Find it very hard to grasp the "theory" behind things until I have done them.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 01:44 PM)rtha6551 Wrote: From what I understand they are fairly lenient with it but I have my own theory that I'd consider testing if it wasn't being monitored constantly etc.

Reading that gives the impression that you're leaning towards bad habits already. If plod pulls you over for going 36 in a 30 and you're excuse is "cos everyone else was" that doesn't make it right. You should never be harassed into speeding or feel guilty for delaying those who want to speed. Tis their license to lose.

Sounds shitty but its true; you need to remain responsible for your own driving, since it is you behind the wheel making decisions.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 07:46 PM)C.A.R. Wrote:

Reading that gives the impression that you're leaning towards bad habits already. If plod pulls you over for going 36 in a 30 and you're excuse is "cos everyone else was" that doesn't make it right. You should never be harassed into speeding or feel guilty for delaying those who want to speed. Tis their license to lose.

Sounds shitty but its true; you need to remain responsible for your own driving, since it is you behind the wheel making decisions.

this is also true . . .Smile
Thanks given by:

It might not make it right but think of it this way:

If everyone both young and old were made to retake both their practical and theory tests again to the standards set by the DSA, how many would pass even though they've been driving for years in the case of the older ones?

My guess is not many if any at all, you are right in saying that I should be responsible for what I do as it is me behind the wheel, but how many of you on here can truthfully say you do 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, or even 10 in a 10 etc?

By no means is this me trying to undermine the helpful advice you're giving me as I appreciate that and I do believe in what you're saying, but I also believe in practicing what you preach Smile
Thanks given by:
Quite a few? If you drive to the correct standard there is no reason that you should not pass. If it was a test obviously you would be extra careful about speed. The trouble with old drivers and particularly those who are not interested in cars is that they are lazy and drive stupidly as a result.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 08:25 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Quite a few? If you drive to the correct standard there is no reason that you should not pass. If it was a test obviously you would be extra careful about speed. The trouble with old drivers and particularly those who are not interested in cars is that they are lazy and drive stupidly as a result.

Speed is one of many factors that might contribute towards an accident or mishap, most people wouldn't make the observations required in the 6 instances you're required to do so
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 08:12 PM)rtha6551 Wrote:

It might not make it right but think of it this way:

If everyone both young and old were made to retake both their practical and theory tests again to the standards set by the DSA, how many would pass even though they've been driving for years in the case of the older ones?

My guess is not many if any at all, you are right in saying that I should be responsible for what I do as it is me behind the wheel, but how many of you on here can truthfully say you do 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, or even 10 in a 10 etc?

By no means is this me trying to undermine the helpful advice you're giving me as I appreciate that and I do believe in what you're saying, but I also believe in practicing what you preach Smile

Errr i can! but only because my car is tracked lol
Ive genuinely found though that you dont get anywhere any quicker and its much more relaxed to just stick to slower speeds
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 08:28 PM)rtha6551 Wrote:
(16-07-2013, 08:25 PM)306Puggy Wrote: Quite a few? If you drive to the correct standard there is no reason that you should not pass. If it was a test obviously you would be extra careful about speed. The trouble with old drivers and particularly those who are not interested in cars is that they are lazy and drive stupidly as a result.

Speed is one of many factors that might contribute towards an accident or mishap, most people wouldn't make the observations required in the 6 instances you're required to do so

Not really. See what I just posted.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 08:28 PM)Niall Wrote: Ive genuinely found though that you dont get anywhere any quicker and its much more relaxed to just stick to slower speeds

This!

Everybody loves the occasional hoon but I can genuinely say that I stick to the speed limit at all other times. Driving is mainly a chore nowadays, it's fun when you're younger but if I could teleport to work and back every day I bloody would!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
lol you guys talk like you are soooo old! What are you, early 30s? You are still "younger" lol!
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2013, 06:15 AM)306Puggy Wrote: lol you guys talk like you are soooo old! What are you, early 30s? You are still "younger" lol!

pick up a few speeding tickets and see a few bad accidents and it makes you more careful that's all . . .i still have the capability to scare the missus totally shitless when i see fit . lol
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 09:33 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Driving is mainly a chore nowadays, it's fun when you're younger but if I could teleport to work and back every day I bloody would!

Also this, sitting in traffic for 40 minutes with no AC in this weather is f*cking miserable!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sky Insurance - Very good price Dum-Dum 12 3,489 31-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Last Post: springs