306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? (/showthread.php?tid=15527)

Pages: 1 2

Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 14-07-2013

Hello all

did a quote for my HDi the other day (Wednesday) and online Aviva quoted me £2570 TPFT (all I need really as if I crash I wouldn't claim for my car) which although its extortionate, it's the best I could get and relatively cheap compared to some people my age paying over £3k on 1.2 petrols etc.

The online system isn't letting me retrieve my quote as it says the reference number is wrong which it definetely isnt -.- So I can't access it online.

Done another quote with the exact same details, same named drivers and its a whopping £5400! No way in hell can I afford that, that's half my yearly wage! :O

So my question is, if I phone them tomorrow and quote my initial reference number for £2570, can they then turn around and say that they 'mis-quoted' me and put my quote up? I ask this because apparently there is a 20% online discount, if I call them to buy that policy does it make my discount void?

Really not happy about this, daylight robbery

Thanks

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Piggy - 14-07-2013

no they cant.

have to ask though...

age?
ncb?
accidents/convictions?

coz that is ££ra*e

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 14-07-2013

(14-07-2013, 07:23 PM)Piggy Wrote: no they cant.

have to ask though...

age?
ncb?
accidents/convictions?

coz that is ££ra*e

I'm 18 so I can't complain really, no accidents or convictions but only been driving since March this year.

Had a 1.7 CDTi Astravan before with the same company on a multicar policy and that was £1300 for cover between March and December, to change to my 306 they wanted £2500 for SIX MONTHS cover :|

Absolutely ridiculous, they also owe me £925 of that back since I cancelled my part of the policy when I got rid of the Astra, rang them on Monday to get it back and its still not in my account!

Useless

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Dum-Dum - 14-07-2013

Try online again for the next few days mate.

Piggy it sounds ra*e but if by yorkshire he means sheffield itll be a high risk postcode, im also guessing hes still a teenager and also in a higher risk occupation (alot of lower paid ones are) so actually £2400 isnt bad atall.

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 14-07-2013

(14-07-2013, 07:29 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Try online again for the next few days mate.

Piggy it sounds ra*e but if by yorkshire he means sheffield itll be a high risk postcode, im also guessing hes still a teenager and also in a higher risk occupation (alot of lower paid ones are) so actually £2400 isnt bad atall.

Correct mate I live in Barnsley so arguably even worse than Sheffield haha! I work as a customer advisor for the DWP in a call centre where a lot of young people work so probably is high risk in their eyes.

Ironically I did the quote to see if I could get it any cheaper, but thankyou I'll keep trying and also call them to see what they say

Cheers

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - 306Puggy - 14-07-2013

When I was your age I couldn't find a quote lower than 3k either. But let's just say that there are ways you can get your own back...

(14-07-2013, 07:33 PM)306Puggy Wrote: When I was your age I couldn't find a quote lower than 3k either. But let's just say that there are ways you can get your own back...

??? do tell Smile

(14-07-2013, 07:36 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(14-07-2013, 07:33 PM)306Puggy Wrote: When I was your age I couldn't find a quote lower than 3k either. But let's just say that there are ways you can get your own back...

??? do tell Smile

I'd also love to know :p

Im guessing:

1) its not legal
2) it would invalidate your insurance
3) you'd be a dumbass to do it

Suppose at the end of the day no matter how hard they shaft you, there's nothing you can do within the limits of the law to win :/

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - cwspellowe - 14-07-2013

Did you constantly change details, like trying different quotes with different additional drivers etc? A lot of online quotation systems spot people trying to muddle details to get a lower quote and instantly inflate the figures, invalidating previous quotes. Happened to me when I kept changing named drivers.

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Curt - 14-07-2013

Just ring them and find out...

Reading this is one of the only things that makes me glad to be old

(14-07-2013, 07:47 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Did you constantly change details, like trying different quotes with different additional drivers etc? A lot of online quotation systems spot people trying to muddle details to get a lower quote and instantly inflate the figures, invalidating previous quotes. Happened to me when I kept changing named drivers.

The same named drivers, same details of usage/yearly mileage etc so not too sure what has happened? Sure they throw a random price out sometimes haha!

Though I have noticed that happen before when I've tried being a little sneaky about things but this is all legitimate details :/

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - bigcheez2k3 - 14-07-2013

There is a theory that you should clear the cache and cookies on your browser when doing things like this. Same with stuff like airline tickets.

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - toughmat - 14-07-2013

Yes they can. any body can change the price if they wish, prices do change on a daily basis, thats why when you do a quote try and buy it there and then

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Niall - 14-07-2013

(14-07-2013, 07:50 PM)Curt Wrote: Just ring them and find out...

Reading this is one of the only things that makes me glad to be old

This. I could of danced when Green light came back to me and said £500FC for the 6!!

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Curt - 14-07-2013

Greenlight were very good to me too, had a 10 minute chat with the bloke about turbos and his Focus ST! But I went back to Brentacre and they matched it exactly, less effort staying with them and they've always been brilliant, so can't complain

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Niall - 14-07-2013

(14-07-2013, 08:42 PM)Curt Wrote: Greenlight were very good to me too, had a 10 minute chat with the bloke about turbos and his Focus ST! But I went back to Brentacre and they matched it exactly, less effort staying with them and they've always been brilliant, so can't complain

Yeah i phoned up on the 1st to accept the quote. Only had to give them my payment details and i was on the phone for almost half hour chatting about old pugs and the shows lol.

Brentacre, cant moan AT ALL! brill lads there

(14-07-2013, 08:26 PM)toughmat Wrote: Yes they can. any body can change the price if they wish, prices do change on a daily basis, thats why when you do a quote try and buy it there and then

Does the 60 day validity of the quote stop this?

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Poodle - 15-07-2013

If they've said the quote is valid for 60 days, that's that.

I've found with insurance companies if you request a quote more than once it'll put the price up every time. Call them and it'll usually get sorted out, be firm about it without being rude.

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 15-07-2013

(15-07-2013, 12:37 PM)Poodle Wrote: If they've said the quote is valid for 60 days, that's that.

I've found with insurance companies if you request a quote more than once it'll put the price up every time. Call them and it'll usually get sorted out, be firm about it without being rude.

I suppose I'll have to ring them tomorrow then to buy the initial policy, would have been today but they've still not sent me my money back so I can't -.- Probably just letting it sit in their accounts till the last minute to get every penny of interest they can off of it.

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 15-07-2013

Just rung up and quoted my reference number to the guy on the phone at Aviva, they said I'd put the wrong date of birth. They said I'd put it as 11/09/1938, which is actually the date of birth of one of the named drivers.

So after being on hold for 10 minutes while the man 'corrected' it, they now want that £5400.

I am 110% sure I put the correct date of birth (11/05/1995), because to login to that quote that is the date of birth I use. If I try 11/09/1938 as they are saying I did, it will not let me log in.

So basically they've royally f*cked it up, and are doubling my premiums as a result.

F*cking fuming, useless b*stards

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - 306Puggy - 15-07-2013

I haven't had the same situation but insurance seems to be legalised fraud in this country. In other countries like america or australia you don't even need insurance in some states and where you do, normal everyday cars are v8 lumps anyway so they can't get away with charging ridiculous insurance premiums to young drivers. I passed my test when I was 18 but had to wait until I was 19 before I could afford insurance!

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Kimmie - 15-07-2013

Yes they can, but more often than not it's because the details online are different to the ones given over the phone. Poor example but when I phoned up about my online quote, which hadn't asked me about named drivers' accidents, and told them that Scott had a not-at-fault claim last year they put the quote up by £200 because he was 'at higher risk'.

Shit, but it does happen. Shop around, clear cookies and always speak to them about your quote on the phone. Have you tried Adrian Flux, Prestige or Greenlight?

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Willo - 15-07-2013

1st central came up on top for me I forgot to put on an accident I had upped the premium by £35

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - cwspellowe - 15-07-2013

Hang on, so they're saying even an oldie would be £2.5k TPFT insurance on an HDi?

lmao

Someone's telling fibs at the company i think. Sucks but as said earlier, insurance is a case of "hmm, we're feeling stingey today, charge him double"

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - Kimmie - 15-07-2013

^^ Probably true!

Although I've found that TPFT usually comes up more expensive that Fully comprehensive...

RE: Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - C.A.R. - 15-07-2013

If you look in the small print on most websites you'll probably find that an online quotation is indicative only. I don't even think you can buy into an online quotation without first speaking to someone to clarify absolutely everything again.

I'm 24 at present, but my insurance runs out 2 months before my 25th birthday. The optimist in me thinks that there's the possibility of a big saving after my 25th, but it's the insurance cover between the end of my current policy and my birthday that I'm not sure how to go about...

Insurance - can they put my price up over the phone? - rtha6551 - 15-07-2013

I've sorted it all out now, put myself with the Co-op, £2154 fully comp for the year with the same 2 named drivers Smile

Still a massive rip off and I have a black box fitted but if I drive well they apparently refund up to 30% of that, I drive sensibly anyway so just have to maintain that Smile

Anyway, off for a drive ;D